[NL2-NL10] NL 5 check behind on flop for value?

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      I've been reading a lot of articles today on the art of checking behind, and was wanting to have an opportunity to use it in game.

I got my chance, but not sure if I selected the right time to do it:

Bodog - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $4.98
      UTG: $6.54
      Hero (CO): $4.86
      BTN: $12.00
      SB: $1.41

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 2:club: 2:heart:

UTG calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.57, 2 players) 3:spade: Q:heart: 2:diamond:
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.57, 2 players) 2:spade:
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.42, UTG calls $0.42

River: ($1.41, 2 players) 8:heart:
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1.10, UTG calls $1.10

Hero shows 2:club: 2:heart: (Four of a Kind, Twos)
      Hero wins $3.46

Pre-flop - I know this is deviating from the SHC, but the UTG player was relatively tight but usually limp/calls and folds to most continuation bets etc. I felt raising with my small pocket pair would give me a good chance to take down the pot even if I don't make my set as I would have momentum.

Flop - I decide to check behind for value. (stupid idea?). I wanted to make sure my set was paid off and doubted he was on the straightdraw as he was playing quite nitty, so 54 etc isn't in his range. If he hasn't hit a queen, I thought he would instantly fold to a cbet. I felt if I checked behind for deception, I could extract more money out of this hand on later streets. By checking here I feign weakness to enable him to maybe bluff or to catch up as I feel I am way ahead in this situation.

I played pretty much standard poker on the turn and river... it's the flop where I think I may have made the error by trying to play too fancy.

Thanks in advance for your analysis!
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Zareos,

Unfortunately it's not a good spot to slowplay your set. Just CBet it and build up the pot. If he doesn't have a hand he ain't gonna pay you much either. By playing it normally you might even get his whole stack. :)

Best regards.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello Zareos,

Unfortunately it's not a good spot to slowplay your set. Just CBet it and build up the pot. If he doesn't have a hand he ain't gonna pay you much either. By playing it normally you might even get his whole stack. :)

Best regards.
      Yeah, I think I was trying too hard to use what I'd just learned.... ah wells, thank you!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      To be fair it's not the worst flop to be checking behind for deception, it's really dry and hits not a lot of anyone's range. Although as previously said, unless you're against very aggressive opponents who will bet big on later streets, you need to be cbetting in order to build a big pot :)