Pure Bluffs - any need?

• SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      After reading about bluffs and gaming theory in Sklansky's "Theory of Poker" one question keeps bugging me all the time:

HOW OFTEN DO YOU DO PURE BLUFFS?

I am talking extremes here, say raising 72o from UTG, Cbetting and 3barrelling all the way (providing there is at least some chance villain will fold ofc) with pure air. :f_biggrin:

From the book I understood that theoretically it IS profitable and should be done now and then, but whats the reality?

I personally at my level (NL20- NL50) never do pure bluffs. I think that 2 and sometimes 3-barrelling AK on dry boards is enough bluffing for me, but am I right? :f_cool:

What do you guys do? :f_cool:
  • 9 replies
    • sharpred
      sharpred
      Bronze
      I never do pure bluffs online.
    • david2655
      david2655
      Bronze
      the only point i see in "pure" bluffs to that extent is to then show it in order to create a table image??
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Well, when you're against a player who folds a lot to raises then raising his cbet with pure air on a board that misses his range is very profitable. It is at these points that the cards in your hand just don't matter at all :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Profitable? Yes. Provided you have strong hand reading skills.

Necessary? Probably not until 200nl+ (to prevent your 3-barrel range being polarised toward nut type hands)
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      aim of pure bluff: to get better hands to fold

useful in low stakes?: not really, people call too much.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I don't think it's needed at all at micro/lowstakes..

Decided to look through my old blog

$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      3 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      Hero ($34.25)
      SB ($29.28)
      BB ($26.87)

Pre-Flop: ($0.35, 3 players) Hero is BTN 4:heart: 2:heart:
      Hero raises to $0.75, SB raises to $2.50, BB folds, Hero calls $1.75

Flop: 8:club: 3:spade: 7:heart: ($5.25, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB raises to $8.10, Hero goes all-in $31.75, SB folds, SB says "Clown hit"

Final Pot: $45.10
      Hero shows high card Eight
      4:heart: 2:heart:

Hero wins $44.10 (net +$9.85)

SB lost $10.60

Stuff like this is profitable imo.. but only with good thought processes behind it. He was a TAG that could laydown hands. My reasoning here was.. that his 3bet range simply never hits this flop. since i didn't believe he'd 3bet preflop with 77, 88 or A8/A7. So he either has an overpair (in which case his reraise is terrible) or was getting frustrated by my constant agression.

Since he knew i could have a lot of hands that hit this flop in this spot i shove all in. And as you can see he believed i hit the board.. And my range actualy could hit this flop ;)
    • paradox142
      paradox142
      Bronze
      why would u bluff with 72o instead of 56s 76o or something else that is still a bluff but a better one?? and if u are in a spot where ur cards wont matter at all, like 3betting from mp to an utg raiser whos call to 3bet is 0% its still better to have blockers...
    • Firefly52
      Firefly52
      Bronze
      I do it quite often, actually, mainly on turn/river. I am still a microstakes player, so people will call anything preflop, most on the flop and on turn / river they start thinking about stuff that would actually beat them.

If they have weird stats (90/90 cbet / fold to cbet) or something like that, I checkraise / float for fun every 10 hands or so.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Firefly52
      I do it quite often, actually, mainly on turn/river. I am still a microstakes player, so people will call anything preflop, most on the flop and on turn / river they start thinking about stuff that would actually beat them.

If they have weird stats (90/90 cbet / fold to cbet) or something like that, I checkraise / float for fun every 10 hands or so.
      I agree with paradox though that it is much much better to do it with some sort of equity than to bluff with no equity whatsoever. However if you think you have no chance to win at showdown and your opponent is looking for a cheap/free showdown and is likely to fold to a bet, it is always a good option; however with 72o for example the pot should almost never be big enough for it to be worth it ;)