User Review opportunity with Raskolnikov [Gold+]

• Raskolnikov
      Raskolnikov
      Bronze
      Hi Pokerstrategists,

It's time that we put "Poker the Simple Way" through some practical tests.

I'm looking for one member from pokerstrategy, who will receive one hour of free coaching for producing a video.

Requirements to apply:

1) At least Gold+ Status
      2) You should play at least NL100 HU. No maximum limit.

Here are the steps for you to take:

1) Watch my 2 videos in English language. Then apply the concepts and try out the "simple" style.

2) Apply here for the review. Write something interesting or your career so far. The reason why i should chose you. Be funny, creative, or plain and simple.

3) We will set up a time and go over your hands together. The video will be recorded and published as my next video here on the site
  • 9 replies
    • KingOnRiver
      KingOnRiver
      Bronze
      make it minimum nl50 HU and Ill consider applying, nl100 is pretty dead on stars ^^
    • dhw86
      dhw86
      Bronze
      i would like to apply for your review

cv:
      never been to school or anything, so i need the pokermoniez for my living ;)

this is why you should choose me:

i play mostly overagressive, e.g. bluffing in the wrong spots, so i need a coaching and you need a player who does mistakes. i will do lots, promise ;)

limit would be nl200.

kind regards, daniel
    • JurassicDaniel
      JurassicDaniel
      Global
      Hi Gordon,

I usually play NL50-NL200 HU and just started playing PLO50 HU. I already watched your both english and your german video. I like the way you teach. Its similar like Balugawhale.

I started playing poker with play money and earned my first dollar by a freeroll tournemant ( I never made a deposit; doesn´t use the 50 $ from ps.de to start my career). Than I started playing SnG´s and changed to cashgame after about 1,5 years (more about my career in my blog).

Reasons for choosing me:

- I want to become a professional poker player and you have the experience
      - I´m very ambitous and want to learn a lot
      - I have a passion for poker and are very motivated
      - I like the way you teach and want to learn from you
      - I have some leaks and your strength is finding the leaks in the first few minutes (as you have written in your coaching offer).

You told in your last video, that your mind is clear when you are down several buy-ins. That is one of my Leaks. When Im down 4,5 Buy-Ins, my brain shut down an my thinking process suffers. I hope you can help me to solve/ try to improve this leak.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Hi,
      I really want this! I've hardly ever taken part in community promos/freerolls, let alone won anything, but I think the time has finally come!

about me: I've been studying philosophy at uni for a couple of years, living off poker for the last two after starting with the $50 starting capital here at pokertrategy in 2008. I've played mainly NL SH and FR, and some HU.

My poker career has been very messy with a lot of ups, downs and round-abouts, and I've never really got out of low-stakes despite showing promise, namely having a better understanding of NLHE than low-stakes regs and being more creative.
      Maybe my biggest weakness has been my mental game, but HU has also been a huge problem area for me. I've attempted to beat low-stakes HU a couple of times, as I think HU is the way forward in poker both in terms of improving and of profitability, but I've always run into huge problems sooner or later. Your vids opened my eyes to what it was that was going wrong in HU and how I was approaching HU in the wrong way: I try too hard to use my creativity and understanding of the game, thinking on several levels about ranges etc, and things quickly get messy and out of control. I don't have the confidence or skill to out-think my opponent all the time, so sooner or later I make some huge mistakes. This makes the dynamics really complex, plus it simply tilts me.
      but more to the point: I think a big part of what goes wrong is this: My decision-making based on the ranges I assign is fundamentally different to yours: When I think villain has, say, some kind of weakish, wide range, like some weakish hands with SD value, some weakish draws, some floats, then with some kind of made-hand I'm likely to conclude: 'Oh, I should check here, can't valuebet vs that range because he'll probably fold his weaker pairs etc, and If I check he can bluff/semi-bluff because my range looks like ... because ..., bla bla', and I may well start barrelling or check-raising if I have complete air. Whereas it seems to me that what YOU think will be something like: 'his range is quite weak, let's just bet and he may well try to bluffcatch or float or make some random mistake', so you just bet instead of getting into a C/C guessing game, and maybe C/F with air instead of hoping villain folds his weaker hands.
      I've been trying to apply this at NL50 and 100, and it really seems to be effective and give me a kind of huge, hidden advantage over the standard opponent type who is constantly taking weird lines trying to level me, worrying about every simple situation. But I still often find myself in a retarded spot on the turn or river where I think 'omg, why didn't i just bet the previous street?'

limit would be NL100.

edit:
      after playing a bad session yesterday in which I reverted to my old habits of making huge bluffs/catches in not very good spots, I thought for a while and I think I realised something important, kind of the essence of the aggressive, simple style: don't try to read/level your opponent all the time, instead you force him to have to try to read/level you. As in: just be super aggressive for value and let villain play the levelling guessing game when he has weak hands. If he's wrong and calls, you get value, and if he folds then it's effectively like you ran a successful bluff. So it's a kind of win-win situation, plus it's uncomfortable/tough for your opponent to handle.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      so, when i saw this opportunity get get a user review from yourself i pretty much jizzed in my pants.

Watched your first video near the beginning of july and quickly applied a few of your techniques.
      Basically cutting out all the bullshit...

and here are my results since..

mixture of nl50-nl200 pretty much bumhunting hard

Although the 2 videos have helped alot, i still have problems..
      I bumhunt most of the time and i dont mind this, its all about the hourly. But there are oftentimes where whilst waiting for good action i get into spots against weak regs who clearly have some biggish leaks, i.e opening very few buttons <60% or not folding to 3bets, cbets, never bluff c/raising flops etc. etc. and even though i've found these spots where I should have an edge i rarely see myself making any form of profit whatsoever.

.. a comment I noticed you put on the sidebar of your first video

#18 :

Its not a "strategy". Its simply the best way to play. Simple doesn´t mean good or bad.

Not sure if i´ve said it in the video, but i later found out that i´ve played 200-400 (blinds) with the guy in the past. He got lots of tilt issues, so don´t judge him from one account.

Having that said, it really doesn´t matter, since this works against anybody, but especially against "good players".
      Which would be why I would like a personal review to help..

I dont want to be a bumhunter all my life!!!
    • FishermansFriend
      FishermansFriend
      Bronze
      Hello Guys!

Sorry for the late update regarding this promo, it was unfortunately a bit stalled due to the holiday season.
      The winners will be notified now :)

Cheers,
      FF
    • JurassicDaniel
      JurassicDaniel
      Global
      Originally posted by FishermansFriend
      Hello Guys!

Sorry for the late update regarding this promo, it was unfortunately a bit stalled due to the holiday season.
      The winners will be notified now :)

Cheers,
      FF
      ... and the winner is.....?
    • FishermansFriend
      FishermansFriend
      Bronze
      Kruppe & jmackenzie were picked for the first round, but stay tuned as this promo could be repeated if successful :)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      O boy hope im not too late!