MP: €2.31
      MP+1: €1.00
      LP: €3.12
      Hero (CO): €2.02
      BTN: €2.20
      SB: €2.00

SB posts SB €0.01, BB posts BB €0.02

Pre Flop: (€0.03) Hero has A:spade: J:spade:

fold, UTG+1 raises to €0.06, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls €0.06, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (€0.15, 2 players) 9:heart: 7:club: 8:diamond:
      UTG+1 bets €0.07, Hero calls €0.07

Turn: (€0.29, 2 players) Q:diamond:
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets €0.18, fold

Hero wins €0.28

The SHC says to fold here, though usually AJs plays quite well against the opening range of many players on NL2. Villain doing this from UTG does make me doubt my call here.

3-betting is an option if I know that Villain likes to open AT, AJ and AQ here, which he will probably fold on a 3-bet. However, I don't like turning AJs into a bluff hand if we can extract more value by calling, keeping in the hands worse than mine. Then again, how many worse hands would an unknown Villain open from UTG?

The flop is quite drawy, but does not exactly hit the opening range from UTG. So I decided to float here.
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, BaggerSmurf!

I think the call with AJs on that spot, against an unknown, is borderline ok. What I mean is: maybe not a huge mistake but will not make you much money in the long run anyway... so why do it?

Most of the UTG range is either ahead (AQ/AK) or flipping against you (all pocket pairs) and even KQ has decent equity.

Yes, you have position and probably will for the rest of the hand, but what will probably happen is you will win many small pots and lose the big ones (when villain hits a set, or has an overpair to your paired J, or you both pair the A and he has K or Q as kicker, or...).

Flop comes and you decide to float against an unknown... I don't like that either. Vs. a known player it's *ok* but against an unknown I wouldn't do it there.

You say the flop didn't hit UTG range that much but I disagree. Many players would open 88+ (which means he has sets or overpairs). The flop only missed to AJ+ and broadway type of hands, which are indeed part of his range but not all. The only thing that would encourage me to give it a try is his betsize.

When the Q comes you are only bluffing AK. All the rest hit, you don't really know if he can go to check/call mode with TT or even 66 etc. All broadways hit with the Q... so then again, you're only bluffing AK and if he is very loose (which you don't know, since he is an unknown) 22-55.

So all in all, against unknowns I'd probably fold pre. I'd only call if the UTG was loose preflop and I knew his game postflop (either to play back if he is a loose regular, or to extract from his mistakes if he is a loose and very bad player).