Melvin - Picking up the Grind!

• Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

I'm Melvin, Community Manager for the Dutch community for over 2 years now and since this month responsible for our English Content production as well! Should you have any requests/complaints or suggestions for our English content, please do tell me about them. I'll do my very best to work with it!

To start off this blog, I'll have to say that I am very bad and inconsistent when blogging. I'll try to make as many (interesting) updates as I can, but I won't promise you daily or weekly updates, since I know it'll be hard for me to keep this promise.

I'm now starting this blog, since I have a deal with a friend that I have to play 15000 hands a month, otherwise I owe him $500. As a main motivator to put some volume in.

The problem however, is that after 19 days of play, I'm at about 5000 hands. This means that I'll have to do another 10.000 hands in only 10 days or 1000 hands a day. (hence the blog title)

For the first 5000 hands, things didn't go all that bad, my results on NL50/100/200 (mainly HU, a bit SH):

I will update this blog after every day for this month, I need these 15000 hands by the end of the month!

Hope you guys will find this blog interesting. If you have questions, please do ask!
  • 142 replies
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      whose this extra lucky friend of yours? GL!
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      10K more hands = $2K profit at the tables (assuming winrate stays :P ) and $500 win from friend.

I hope the blog serves as a motivator!
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      Another dutchman in tha house :D

NLHE only?
    • Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Bronze
      First world poker problems: I need to play 1000 hands a day but I bust every opponent in <10 hands!

Also, for the people who think: Lol, why does he make bets on only 15k hands/month... The last time I played more than 5k hands a month is probably over 2 years ago!

@ Verneer, unfortunately I won't win $500 if I make it ;) This is just to motivate myself to play more.

@ TwiceT, indeed NL only atm. Might add some PLO again in the future, however I need to just put some volume into a single gametype for once :)

The deal stands for the entire year btw, and I'll make sure I won't lose a single one of these months!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      welcome welcome :)
    • Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Bronze
      Today's 1000 hands are already played but I might even continue the grind for a while.

NL100 didn't go so well and I felt that I wasn't playing so well, so I moved down to multitable some NL50:

• Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Bronze
      Graph of the day:

Not to bad, could have been better!
    • YxieAA
      YxieAA
      Silver
      Good luck with your challenge Melvin!

bolletje :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      oioi melv,

post some interesting hands. Feels like the big and perhaps only problem you have with poker is volume i think offering this negative freeroll isnt negative at all. Should be allowed one month off for the year i guess though.

Whats ur 3betpc and turn barrel pc? Also what site are you playing at, seems like nl100 would make more sense from a rake pov.

Also 3 handed games on ongame could be a really good idea for you to get more volume in, its short handed and lots of games run.

Geeeeellllllllll.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Veel succes jonguh!
    • Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Feels like the big and perhaps only problem you have with poker is volume i think offering this negative freeroll isnt negative at all.
      This is indeed the idea behind it. My biggest leak is my volume, the best way to fix this, is to force myself to play more. This might cost me some of my edge, but in the end the experience should help me improve my game as well.

My 3-bet is 9.2% and my Turn CBet% is 47%. Both are highly dependent on opponents as well as the amount of tables I am playing. When Playing 1 table, my game is completely different from when I'm playing 4 tables heads up. I hope to develop and improve my 4tabling game to a point where I can comfortably crush that as well. Right now it's enough to be a winning player, but not crushing as hard as I'd want to.

I'll start posting interesting hands when I face them, since right now I could post random hands from yesterday but I would have forgotten about most of the reads anyway.

Just one of the hands I do remember everything about :

The opponent was quite a thinking and very aggressive player, so I decided to go one level ahead of him.

His preflop 3-bet% was 32% and I was 99% sure that he wouldn't believe my raise was for value, since I know he has a lot of air in his c-bet range it makes more sense to call your trips, right?

I believed that if I raised him really small, he would put me on a bluff and shove pretty much any 2, which he did in this case by shoving QJ.

Party Poker $50 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 1647754
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN/SB): $50.00
      BB: $65.28

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN/SB with T :club: Q :diamond:
      Hero raises to $1.50, BB raises to $5, Hero calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.00) 8 :heart: T :spade: T :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $6.50, Hero raises to $14.50, BB raises to $60.28 all in, Hero calls $30.50 all in

• pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      yeh I like flop.

How come you were still 3x'n if he was 3betting 35%?
    • Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Bronze
      I was mainly betting bigger with hands I could call a re-raise with. He didn't see many of these hands to showdown yet, so I wasn't giving away much information here.
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      still, doesn't it make sense to just minraise QTo and play deeper in 3bet pot IP?

if it's still early in the match i'd 3x the range i want to 4bet, obv if i haven't minraised yet.

And i like the raise, nh :)

And your 3bet looks darn low, unless it's a small sample :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by phantommm92
      still, doesn't it make sense to just minraise QTo and play deeper in 3bet pot IP?

if it's still early in the match i'd 3x the range i want to 4bet, obv if i haven't minraised yet.

And i like the raise, nh :)

And your 3bet looks darn low, unless it's a small sample :)
      Yeh I agree with all of this. Although 9% is ok if you are strictly bum hunting. If playing vs regs its obviously too low, but I guess you're just playing fish and should be fine.
    • Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Bronze
      Yeah, you guys are probably right about the QT hand!

I do think you can adept to loose 3-betters in 3 different ways.

1) You start minraising.

Advantage: You play in position, deep, against a wide range. You should be able to outplay.

Disadvantage: Harder to get all-in, opponent see's you're adapting.

2) You start openraising tighter.

Advantage: You have a stronger range, easier to get all-in opponent often doesn't see your adaption

Disadvantage: You play less pots in position.

3) You start 4-bet bluffing/raising light.

Advantage: You can bluff out a lot of his hands, since he is often weak.

Disadvantage: Variance shoots up, opponent see's you're adapting + can 5-bet shove a lot (something that takes several spots to find out --> variance goes up)

My personal preference is generally to keep the opponent comfortable in making his mistakes. This means that I do try to abuse them, but won't punish him very hard or openly for it. If this is indeed max-EV, I'm not sure. I do see it working for myself though, so while it works I'll probably continue doing so.

About my own 3-bet%: when I'm playing 4 tables of NL50, my game is very abc. It also depends on the opponents, like pleno1 said. Against other opponents and when 1tabling, my 3-bet% can be a lot higher than on this sample.
    • martijnde666
      martijnde666
      Bronze
      I'm gonna follow you, just like im following your dutch blog :)

Thats not an +EV bet i think, knowing your average volume :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Are you still playing much live pokers at gala?

Coming to WPT? Booked accommodation etc? Where you staying?
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      wanted to ask as the discussion are going around in this blog ;)

if you see villai defending(cold calling) like 50% of hands it makes sense to 4x for us, so what would be your approach, 4x a itghter range, 3x a wider range, maybe 4x stronger hands? and how does villains foldvcbet change anything, both flop and turn?