How to move up?

• KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Currently I have 25 BIs for NL4 but still play NL2 with 50BIs. I feel like if I take $4 to take a table I will definitely be playing scared money.

Whats the best way to get over this and move up? Should I just keep grinding until I reach 50BIs in which I will feel completely comfortable with?
  • 13 replies
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Just move up and move down if you drop your BR to $80. No need to be scared NL4 is no different than walking into Makie.D's and buying a cheese burger. Playing NL2 with 50 BI's is way to nitty.
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      I would wait til I felt comfortable.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Recently moved up from NL2 to NL5 second time, first time was a giant failure. What I recommend is just set a stop loss limit of like 3 or even 2 buy-ins so if you drop 3 buy-ins you move down, grind a little, study a little and then go again. By dropping down at 3 or 2 buy-in loss you won't tilt seeing your bankroll drop by a lot if you go on a cold run. Also if you go on a cold run, by dropping down and beating NL2 you will regain confidence. Also play less tables until you are comfortable. Go watch NL4 video so you get the bet sizing right, compare it to NL2 so you don't make wrong bet sizing, for me it was scary to bet what seemed big c-bets when in fact they were the same amount of BB as in NL2 but the c-bet is twice as big in $ so I would bet less because being scared when in reality it just gives your opponent great odds for everything.
    • becky1464
      becky1464
      Bronze
      Hey,

I would personally take a shot at NL4, like jonnyjm said there's not much difference between the two once you get past having double the money on the table.

If it was me though i would probably set a loss limit, even maybe as low as 2bi. If you lose this amount then drop straight back down until u get it back. I would also recommend lowering the amount of tables you play if you need to.

Another thing you could do is wait till you have the 2bi for your shot, over the $100 mark that you had now, say $108. I know when i first broke the $100 mark i didn't want it to go back under again because i was so proud (sad i know). This way if you loose the 2bi you will still have the $100 and it wont look as bad.

The other option is to obviously wait until you feel comfortable. Its always going to be scary moving up though no matter how much you have in your roll. Especially if it means a lot to you.

Hope this makes sense.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KozakFB
      Currently I have 25 BIs for NL4 but still play NL2 with 50BIs. I feel like if I take $4 to take a table I will definitely be playing scared money.

Whats the best way to get over this and move up? Should I just keep grinding until I reach 50BIs in which I will feel completely comfortable with?
      I think the best way to feel super comfortable when moving up is having a big bankroll. It's been long last time I played a stake not having 50BI for it - simply because I don't want to play afraid of losing 2 or 3BI.

But I think it's quite important to ask yourself: Why do you play poker?

Some people like the "thrill" of playing higher stakes, bigger money, etc. Or they have the ambition to "climb fast" and be playing NL50 and so on. They should be more inclined to "take shots" on higher limits. That's what they play for.

However... since you will not be playing for a living so soon anyway, just do whatever makes you feel good. If you have fun and enjoy playing NL2, that's super fine. What's the problem? Nothing says you have to move up at all.

The important thing is to keep studying and improving your game. If you do that, and then move to NL4 with a super comfy roll and nice knowledge, you'll do so with more confidence and will be less likely to come back to NL2...

Best of luck.
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies guys, especially luiz. You are right, I enjoy playing poker and enjoy playing NL2. I'm gonna wait till I'm comfortable enough to move up :)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      View it as game points and not money, you aren't cashing out and spending it so it's pretty much what it is anyway and who plays with scared points? Everyone just wants to get to the further level and get the higher score.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Move up gradually, in stages. if you usually play 6 tables, cut down to 4 and play 2 at your usual stake and 2 at the higher stake. keep doing this until you feel totally comfortably with new bet sizes/pot sizes, add another table at the new stake as you see fit.

Also, do this once you have profit for the day. win 1 buy ing at your usual stake before you open up the higher tables.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      how Not to move up?
    • Chrisrules334
      Chrisrules334
      Bronze
      Just play with BB's not $$ for an amount your comfortable with, that's what I do :)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      how Not to move up?
      Get married
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by ihufa
      how Not to move up?