Hello from Iceland

• Svarthjalmar
      Svarthjalmar
      Bronze
      Hi. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a newbie, just getting my feet wet with poker, but I've been studying the game avidly. I have played a little in the past, both online and in home games, and enjoy tournaments more than cash games, so I'm planning on playing mostly SNGs to begin with, and then we'll see.

Nice to be here. Actually, I've been registered here for a while, but I never got around to taking the quiz, or posting here, until now. The site has been helpful, though, and I look forward to getting more content and browsing the forum some more.

Cheers!
  • 5 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hello there Svarthjalmar and welcome to our lovely English community!

So let's see now, 2010 and just introducing yourself now, I see! Well I hope you're going to tell us something about yourself and where you live? Iceland is very mysterious to most of us southern lot! :)

Right, so get that quiz out of the way asap and we'll get you loads of information to get you on your way to winning those SnGs ok?

If you have any questions meanwhile, or you need to know something, just ask, it's why we are here!

Have fun and hurry back this time please!?

Mal.
    • Svarthjalmar
      Svarthjalmar
      Bronze
      Hahaha... Yeah, I kind of fell out of poker, because I got very busy with school. I took my family to England to go to grad school, and just focused on that. But now that's behind me and I've taken up learning about poker again. ;) Oh, and I already finished the quiz, don't worry.

Iceland is not really that mysterious. Almost bankrupt, but not very mysterious at all. ;) We are a very liberal country in some respects (gay marriage is legal, our prime minister is a lesbian, no guns except for hunting (including police - they don't get them) and stuff), and very restrictive in others (alcohol is monopolized by the state and taxed up to high heaven (so expensive as hell, which is why I brew my own beer), gambling is illegal (but with a lot of loopholes, online being one of them) and so forth. Apart from that, we're an island in the middle of the sea. There's only 300.000 of us. And we don't live in igloos, nor do we have a great deal of dog sleds. Hmm... Am I missing anything?

Myself, I'm 30, a theatre director, translator, comedian, musician, husband, father of 2 little boys...

Anything else you want to know?
    • Svarthjalmar
      Svarthjalmar
      Bronze
      Got my bankroll! Can't wait to start playing!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi again Szarthjalmar,

I take it things are going well so far then?

You should get upgraded to bronze status very soon as a reward for passing the quiz and getting your free $50 starting capital.

Can this get any better? Oh yes, because when you get to bronze, click the link below and you'll find a world of information waiting to help you crush those games!

Just click the link 'Questions?' when the bronze time comes (soon) and off you go!

Oh yes, you did forget something! Are you one of those 22 stone strongmen Iceland keep turning out for World's Strongest Man? Do they have a production line there for it or what!? Just so many from such a small country, what do you practice on polar bears?! Whew! :D

Anyway, enough waffle from me, have fun and let me know if we can help if you need us.

Best regards,

Mal.
    • Svarthjalmar
      Svarthjalmar
      Bronze
      Hey hey.

Yeah, it's going well, although I haven't had as much time as I'd prefer to play (plus, I got terribly ill literally in the middle of a SNG, which was going fine until that point - although in fact I got my chips in with the best hand, but got sucked out on). Feeling better now, though, and continuing to work on my game and hoping to find the time to play tonight.

As everybody knows, every Icelander keeps a polar bear or two in the back of their igloos to wrestle with, to keep in shape. Pretty basic stuff.

Actually I don't know why there's such a large percentage of strong guys here. Could be because we lived underground for a thousand years and that might have toughened up the gene pool. Who knows?

I'm going to start working on my cash game, even though I much prefer tournaments. I've noticed that the SNG action on Everest is terrible, so I'll never be able to accumulate enough summit points or grow my bankroll fast enough playing them exclusively. So I'll need to work on my cash game (which wasn't that terrible last time I played, but it's been a while) and try to grind a bit. Also, I want to graduate to playing MTTs at some point, and from what I've heard, it's valuable to know how to play cash for the early stages.

Anyhoo, here's to having more fun at more tables!

Cheers.