This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Does the buck stop here.

• Barlin63
      Barlin63
      Bronze
      The buck stops here!
      My name is Bart (Barlin630 and I have been playing poker for almost 9 months now. It all started when I met my nephew Jeroen back in June 2012. He was watching a soccer game on a gamble site which included poker. He showed me a couple of moves and explained me the poker rules. We played a couple of hands and we won a few cents. I was caught by surprise and wanted to play by myself. I was completely unaware of the possibilities and made my first deposits at a number of sites. I deposited 50 dollars at Full Tilt and not much later that was gone because of black Friday. I had also made deposits at Pokerstars, Party Poker, Bwin and Everest. I had no clue whatsoever where to start. After some more in depth research I found the Poker School from Poker Stars and the site Poker Strategy very interesting and via Poker Strategy I got a 10 dollar bonus for free at Poker 770.

I believe the Poker Star poker school and the Poker Strategy website are absolutely fantastic and I saw almost every video available. I read a number of poker books (Dan Haringtons and Colin Moshman) to educate myself and I try always to play tight aggressive as taught by the trainers.
      I must admit the I mostly play at Poker 770 the SNG tournaments because they have micro micro SNG and you can play a ST SNG for a dime. With the 10 bucks they provided me I managed not to bust for almost 5 months. But all that is left from the 10 dollar are 3 step-4 tickets and although these tickets are worth each $3.30 in the worse possible situation I can play only 3 games. I will finish this tickets in the best possible way to extract as much as possible value and then I will move on to Pokerstars .

So far so good. I am writing this because the last couple of weeks my results are deteriorating. Many hands I dominate pre-flop, flop and turn are beat by the one card I don't want to see on the river. I know it might be variance and I have seen so many stupid things on the table that I know that I should do better in the long run. I play for fun and the time invested is much more valuable than the money involved but if I am a losing player I must quit. If I cannot build a bankroll it will lose much of the fun for me. To see if I can build a bankroll I have setup the following plan:

With my bankroll of $67.80 at Pokerstars I will try to play 1000 25 cent 45 man SNG. Hopefully everything will work out fine and I can build a bankroll and move up the ladder. I will do everything possible to achieve that goal and do as much live training sessions as possible, read and re-read the most interesting books and even will meet with Cowboy for a training session to get some of my leaks fixed. As soon as my bankroll will hit the $120 I consider the mission a success. If however I will get broke I will say goodbye to all the nice people I have met here and move on to another hobby. I will play and win some or I will quit.

While I was writing this I played a few free roll tourneys and guess what. In the $30 tourney I was twice in the money and gained $9.90. In the $200 free roll tourney things went even better and I won $16 (number 4). So despite the above it is not over yet. I will stick to the plan but much more positive than a day ago.

I registered at Pokerstrategy but I joined the poker sites not via their links. So I can play my butt of but get no strategy points at all. I am not sure how to gain Pokerstrategy point other than writing on the blog for 3 days but if anyone has an suggestion (besides buying points or joining other poker rooms) I would be delighted to hear from you.

Barlin63
  • 1 reply
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there Barlin63, I hope you are keeping well?

That's quite a post you've put up there isn't it!? :)

I too play for fun and yes, it is more fun to win than lose I agree. So, your challenge seems to off to a good start as well by the looks of things, excellent stuff! Those are seriously good results, nice one.

As to the Pokerstrategy points, I can't really suggest a lot, but I will get somebody to take a look for you who may know more than I do about these things, ok?

Meantime, there is our Tell A Friend promotion which can earn you extra money, just click the link at the bottom of this post for information on that.

Have fun and best regards for now,

Mal.