4 Players left

Blinds 100/200 - No Ante Yet

Hero is Dealt A :spade: Q :heart:

Hero Raises 3x to $600.00
      Button Folds
      SB 3-Bet Pushes all In for $7200
      BB Folds
      Hero Folds

Now, I normally do not fold AQ since it's not a bad hand, but I had to force myself to fold this hand. My reasons are that even though the SB is a very loose player based on past experiences and I have seen him push a lot with A-X suited and small to medium pocket pairs and hands like KQ and such. I felt that I should fold because another player has a smaller chip stack than me and is more than likely going to bust.

In addition, I read an article about ICM stating that calling an all-in with hands like AK is considered -EV if it costs you your tournament life. I agree somewhat with this statement, but to each their own.

I felt that he was either pushing with a pocket pair, most likely a medium pair. Therefore I was pretty much racing since AQ is a little under 45% in some cases and over 45% in other cases. I did think he could of had a hand like AK and him pushing was probably a standard play with AK.

With AK, I would be an underdog - About 25%
      With AJ,10 I would be a favourite - about 69% - 70%
      With hands like KJ,KQ,QJ - about 73%
      With hands like QQ,JJ,KK,AA - A little under 28% and 6% against Aces
      With Hands like 55 to 10,10 - About a 45% underdog

I did fold this hand and the short stack busted on the bubble by me and I ended up winning the tournament. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this matter is. Did I make a good play by folding and preserving my chips or should I have called and take the risk for a dominating chip lead?

• 5 replies
    • Lazza61
      That fold may well have won it for you

ICM says you have slightly more equity folding than pushing

Sometimes you have to do things that seem to go against everything you think you should do.

Can't trust SB to be bullying

IMO great fold
    • zilltine
      i`d like 2x-2.5x way more if you dont like open shoving. 3x/fold is just too weak cos bigstack (if he knows that u know icm) will repush very wide.
    • jackinbeat
      Fold or shove with 12.5 bb's.
    • kurrkabin
      Hi, maythany!

I will usually advocate for shoving here almost always. We can't raise/call the other 2 bigstacks due to risk aversion, we are short to play postflop in case one of them is a fishy player unaware of eff. stack sizes-and yet- our hand is too strong to open fold it. Just push!

I understand your concerns, but SB could possibly be just a competent player that uses his bigstack the right way. He has to abuse the bubble, he has to be very aggressive and loose. That doesn't mean he will call loose! If you however, think he won't be able to fold some midpockets or Broadway type of hands- ok, fold. But that should be some really extreme scenario.
    • jackinbeat