My 2nd 'barely legal' journey through the micros

• bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Hello everyone, I’m Bogdan from Romania and this will be my blog which is meant to motivate me, help me keep track of my results and plans and maybe introduce me to some people in this friendly community! :D

For anyone who cares enough, I turned 18 just a few days ago. My older sister has been playing poker on an off for about 2 years now but she never got into it really well. I was fascinated to see her playing online because I was already watching WSOP episodes and playing home games with my friends since I was 15-16. She showed me how she got the 50$ from PS.com and I’ve become instantly hooked. I read articles from her account and I stalked this forum quite a bit! She also let me have a go on her account a few times and I believe with the theoretical base and small experience that I’ve gained I am ready to start playing good and winning a few bucks!

Last night I opened an account with PokerStrategy and in just a couple of hours everything got sorted out! I’ll be recieving my 50$ on William Hill soon enough, and I just can’t wait to start playing! :D Also, my wonderful sister promised me that if I do well at NL2 she will ship me some $$ to be rolled for NL5 :f_love: .

My plans for the moment are:
      :spade: set up my PT4 hud for William Hill
      :spade: play 20k hands of NL2 untill the middle of June
      :spade: read/re-read articles and watch a video series (I’m planning on watching Crushing NL50 by hasenbraten)
      :spade: look into the NL Beginners Course forum and maybe join up
      :spade: have fun at my 18 BDay party on saturday

If everything goes well I want to move up to NL5 by late June!
      I hope my engrish doesn’t bother you, I will be also looking to improve my writing skills here. ^^

Thanks for reading and good luck!
  • 86 replies
    • JohanRember
      JohanRember
      Bronze
      Anyone else open this thread hoping for something else?
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      :coolface:
    • MMPokerNab
      MMPokerNab
      Bronze
      Hi :f_biggrin:
      Aw, Romania <3

Sounds like you're passionate about poker so I wish you good luck in your hobby. Stay smart with your bankroll management and try to learn as much as you can - you'll be able to play NL4/NL5 within a month, or so, even without $$ from your sis.

Have fun at your b-day party and don't play drunk/tipsy afterwards, except freerolls. :f_p:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan and welcome to our community!

Wow, just turned 18, brilliant, a whole lifetime to enjoy. I was 18 once, but it didn't last long, only about a year or so, sigh. :f_biggrin:

Don't worry about your English it's fine right now, but you're welcome to ask if you get stuck. :)

I highly recommend you click the link at the bottom of this post, it leads to the NL Beginners Course and is a great way not only to learn how to win, but might just save that nice sister of yours a few dollars! :D

Ok, so if you need anything else just ask, it's what we are here for and someone always knows the answer.

Best regards Bogdan from Romania and have fun,

Mal.
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for your kind welcome! :f_love: !

stay smart with your bankroll management and try to learn as much as you can
      I'm going to keep a 25BI BRM and i don't think any crazy stuff can happen because I'm not much of a gambler! :f_biggrin:

I highly recommend you click the link at the bottom of this post, it leads to the NL Beginners Course and is a great way not only to learn how to win, but might just save that nice sister of yours a few dollars!
      Guess I'll have a look today, thanks! :D
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi bogstratos, welcome to our blogs section! Sounds like you are off to a good start, share some of your daily study with us. Shiiiiip it! :)
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JohanRember
      +1
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Castle93
      Originally posted by JohanRember
      +1

But on topic, best of luck, adding this one to my favourites!
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Bad start.

That's how my first session went! I ended up 2.5 buyins down after a few hundred hands. I found that contrary to what i expected, william hill only gives you 10$ to start with and then 10$ every week you rake 0.5$ wich is not bad but it tilted me a bit because you basically have 5 BIs and that's not enough for me to feel safe as a beginner. :f_mad:

I'm down to 5$ and I can't seem to play without being scared. I might just ask my sister for a bit of help and maybe start on another room like stars because there i felt quite okay playing on my sisters account. It seems rushed i know but wtf am I supposed to do :f_confused: .

Can't help but feel like a poker and management fish for not reading everything and getting stuff sorted better. I will post the hands that got me trouble later today and I guess i just suck it up get over any bumps i'm gonna meet in poker and life because there's no other way to get good and win!

Thanks everyone for being so kind!
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey bogstratos!

Nice first post! When reading your OP I could really sense how passionate you are!

I assume you are playing cash games since you were talking about the 25BI rule.

Don't look to much at your BR before you have the total $50 it looks like you only have $10 but really you have $50 since it isn't that hard to generate $0,5 in rake every week.

And if I can give you 1 real good advice is stick to the starting hands chart: link. You'll find yourself if way less tricky spots and it will be much easier to play your hands post flop. Once you gained some experience you can loosen up of course.

Looking forward to see your progress!

RasTweet
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      First live session today, wohoo!

A friend told me about this satelite freeroll running at a poker club near me and we went there togheter. I had a good experience as the place was nice and there were looots of fish around!

Doubled up first hand with 77 on 755 vs some guy that tought AK was good hehe. Nothing happened for a while and then i get KK so I shove over a short stacks AI and get called by another player that had 10 BBs less than me. KK vs AT and KQ, pretty good i tought! Not so much as the Axx left me with only 1 out. Soon enough i pick up 77 and shove from CO with 6-7 BBs left, only to get called by AA. I had a sweat when the flop came 7xx, but the A on the river sent me to the rail :f_frown: .
      Overall a fun experience, costed me nothing as it was a freeroll so I have no reason to feel bad! :f_grin:

Don't look to much at your BR before you have the total $50 it looks like you only have $10 but really you have $50 since it isn't that hard to generate $0,5 in rake every week.

And if I can give you 1 real good advice is stick to the starting hands chart: link. You'll find yourself if way less tricky spots and it will be much easier to play your hands post flop. Once you gained some experience you can loosen up of course.
      I've read quite a lot of articles and my kind sister let me play on her account for a few thousand hands before I turned 18 and I believe I've got a decent selection of preflop hands!

I have a semi-pro gaming experience with First Person Shooters and Strategy games so I'm not too weak on multitasking, and watching my sister i learned to read the stats aaand i honestly find 2 tabling a bit slow for me ?( . I wanted to play 3-4 tables and that's the only thing that bothers me with having so little $$. I guess I should do the wise thing at stick to 2 tabling atleast until i get my BR up a bit.
      I need calm down myself a little, because i might be overconfident, but what do you expect from a passionate fish :f_mad: .

Here are some hands from yesterday:

IPoker Network $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1775148
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $2.03 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 18, 3B: 7, AF: 13.3, Hands: 299
      BTN: $1.07 - VPIP: 10, PFR: 5, 3B: 0, AF: 2.0, Hands: 21
      SB: $4.30 - VPIP: 71, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 34
      BB: $3.99 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 24, 3B: 0, AF: 2.7, Hands: 34
      UTG: $0.38 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 0.5, Hands: 34
      MP: $0.61 - VPIP: 32, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 25

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with A :spade: 7 :spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, 1 fold, SB calls $0.05, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.14) A :club: 7 :diamond: 5 :club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.10, SB calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.34) 3 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.28, SB raises to $1.18, Hero raises to $1.87, SB calls $0.69

River: ($4.08) 8 :club: (2 players)

Is this a fold on the turn?

IPoker Network $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1775150
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $3.50 - VPIP: 32, PFR: 28, 3B: 7, AF: 4.1, Hands: 420
      Hero (MP): $2.17 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 18, 3B: 7, AF: 13.3, Hands: 299
      CO: $6.01 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 19, 3B: 7, AF: 4.0, Hands: 80
      BTN: $1.88 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 0.5, Hands: 11
      SB: $5.00 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 6, 3B: 0, AF: 0.5, Hands: 18
      BB: $2.26 - VPIP: 32, PFR: 28, 3B: 7, AF: 4.1, Hands: 420

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with T :heart: A :spade:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.08, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.08, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.19) 3 :club: T :spade: 7 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, BTN calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.47) 9 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BTN calls $0.30

River: ($1.07) K :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.44, Hero folds

I think it's clearly played until river, maybe bet a bit bigger on turn (?). On the river i put him on a rivered K but why would he bet under 1/2 here? For a cheap showdown? maybe he does that with worse?

Thanks again for your help and replyes! :f_love:
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Last had I'd block bet the river for like 1/3 pot, get value off his worse hands and lose like as opposed to check/callling the river, as played I think c/f is too weak
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      hand 1 i bet you're asking because you ran into a set or 64 :f_biggrin: nah vs that opp i wouldn't get away ever, could easily have worse twopair at least

hand 2 i prefer check/call river, let him bluff missed draws and random hands... but while he seems so passive check/fold may be fine
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Party!

Haven't played a hand since thursday because I've been busy with some school project and my Bday party! I had a great time with my close friends but i'm left with a minor headache caused by a small drinking challange with my best friend :f_mad: .

I'm also the happy reciever of a 137$ gift on stars from my lovely sister, wich means i can play every week on william hill to rake .50$ and get my full starting capital, while grinding with a hugely safe bankroll on stars!

I shouldn't do this but I'll give NL5 a try since that's what I played on stars before, and if I feel clueless or start losing I'll move down to NL2 for a while, until I feel I really got the hang of it.

Thanks for your answers regarding the hands! :f_love:

Gonna put in a session tonight, let's see how it goes! :f_cool:
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Wow, nice BR boost, your sister sounds like a really good sibling!

Tell us more about this amazing birthday party of yours?
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      She sure is haha! Most people say that we're supposed to fight and hate eachother because that's what brothers do :P . We have our arguments but our relationship is pretty solid :f_cool: .

Whut u want? Private partay, u're not allowded.

It wasn't such a big party cause I don't really like throwing fancy parties no matter the event, but there were ~20 of my closest friends going monkey style in a private area of a club :f_biggrin: . Most of the guests were coleagues from my class at school and the rest very good/old friends. Also my gf ofc, as we also celebrated our everlasting 11 month 'togheterness' :s_love: .

Last night I played an impressive number of 811 hands, after which i ended 1,5 BI in the green at NL5.
      I can say that there are enough fish on stars for me to keep playing NL5, since I'm feeling quite comfortable.

Graph for the session:

My preflop stats for the session were 20/17/6 VPIP/PFR/3bet which i hear is quite good on these limits, so I will look more into developing my postflop game where I have quite a few leaks.

Here are some hands from the session:

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $6.65
      Hero (SB): $5.00
      BB: $18.61
      UTG: $4.00
      CO: $12.50 33/25/0/92 VPIP/PFR/3bet/hands

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has J:diamond: J:spade:

fold, CO raises to $0.15, fold, Hero raises to $0.45, fold, CO calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.95, 2 players) 2:heart: 5:heart: 3:spade:
      Hero bets $0.68, CO raises to $1.51, Hero raises to $4.55 and is all-in, CO calls $3.04

Turn: ($10.05, 2 players) 4:heart:

River: ($10.05, 2 players) 8:diamond:

Hero shows J:diamond: J:spade: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 81%, Flop 63%, Turn 0%)
      CO shows 9:heart: T:heart: (Flush, Ten High) (Pre 19%, Flop 37%, Turn 100%)
      CO wins $9.63

I expect him to 3bet AA, KK and QQ preflop (although he might just call sometimes with QQ). I believe he folds A4 preflop so I put him on a value range of QQ,33,22,55. He might raise me with a flushdraw or something that connected somehow to that board like 44,66. I tought I was good enough vs his range to shove, but I'm not so sure.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players

SB: $2.41
      BB: $12.57 10/10/10/73 VPIP/PFR/3bet/hands
      Hero (UTG): $5.00
      BTN: $2.00

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:club: A:spade:

Hero raises to $0.15, fold, fold, BB raises to $0.45, Hero calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.92, 2 players) A:diamond: 2:spade: 9:heart:
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.92, 2 players) J:spade:
      BB bets $0.66, Hero calls $0.66

River: ($2.24, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      BB bets $1.61, Hero calls $1.61

BB shows A:heart: A:club: (Full House, Aces full of Nines) (Pre 93%, Flop 100%, Turn 100%)
      Hero mucks K:club: A:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Nines) (Pre 7%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)
      BB wins $5.23

I think I pretty much fked up this hand :f_p: . I called his 3bet thinking that i could trap worse Ax hands, if I were to 4bet I would feel like I'm bluffing against such a tight opponent :f_mad: .
      On the flop I didn't bet because I tought his Ax would donk there and TT-KK will maybe fold. turn and river i didn't have much clue so i decided to call with some showdown value.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (BB): $5.30
      UTG: $6.42
      MP: $12.17
      CO: $2.00
      BTN: $3.19
      SB: $2.40

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has A:diamond: A:heart:

UTG raises to $0.15, fold, CO calls $0.15, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, UTG calls $0.45, CO calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.82, 3 players) J:heart: A:spade: Q:heart:
      Hero bets $1.74, UTG calls $1.74, fold

Turn: ($5.30, 2 players) 9:spade:
      Hero bets $2.96 and is all-in, UTG calls $2.96

River: ($11.22, 2 players) 7:spade:

Hero shows A:diamond: A:heart: (Three of a Kind, Aces) (Pre 81%, Flop 95%, Turn 98%)
      UTG shows Q:club: Q:spade: (Three of a Kind, Queens) (Pre 19%, Flop 5%, Turn 2%)
      Hero wins $10.75

Always nice to cooler people :s_love: .

Thanks for your replies and keep lovin! :f_love:
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Great start. Look forward to seeing you progress.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      hand 2 depends on whether you think he can 3bet AQ :D

postflop nothing you can do once you hit A, nh
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Decent 2nd day yesterday.

It went pretty much fine except one 150BB+ pot:

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

Hero (CO): $8.08
      BTN: $5.49
      SB: $9.43
      BB: $4.72
      UTG: $5.50

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has J:diamond: Q:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to $0.15, fold, SB calls $0.13, fold

Flop: ($0.35, 2 players) Q:club: 6:diamond: 2:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, SB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.25

Turn: ($1.35, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.96, SB calls $0.96

River: ($3.27, 2 players) 3:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.70, SB raises to $7.82 and is all-in, Hero calls $4.77 and is all-in

SB shows K:diamond: A:diamond: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 66%, Flop 48%, Turn 100%)
      Hero shows J:diamond: Q:diamond: (Flush, Queen High) (Pre 34%, Flop 52%, Turn 0%)
      SB wins $15.54

I tought I had him on every street and was baffled to see him shove on the river :rolleyes: . Obv he showed a bigger flush but my brain froze on the river and I instacalled. He could show there sometimes with a straight or a set but I think he doesn't overbetshove river often enough with worse.

Graph for the session:

I'm off to another session tonight, may the cards be with me :f_love: !

Thanks for reading!