Elchipriota. My poker journey [SnG/MTT]

• elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      About this blog :s_cool:

So after quite a long time of me being around here only reading and studying these forums through a friends account I decided to join and create my own blog as a way to motivate myself as well as improove my game. I have been especially inspired by blogs such as the ones of Kurrkabin and Demonic 226.

I find it very inspiring to see how these guys started on day 1 in their blog and where they are now. I hope one day I can be up there with them. ;)

A few words about me :f_biggrin:

My name is Nicolas, 22 and I come from the lovely warm island of Cyprus. I am currently studying in bloody cold Scotland. :s_biggrin: I was introduced to pokerstrategy through a very good friend of mine and started reading some of the basic articles here. Even though I read a few poker books before and I have an understanding of the game this site is a goldmine of information, coaching sessions and material. I would never change it!

Me and poker-The start :spade:

I played poker first time in my life when I was 16 on a party and that was a decisive moment in my poker life. :P Some friends were sitting on a table and decided to have a cash game. So I decided to join and bought in for 10 euros. At the time I couldnt tell the difference bettween a flush and a straight but lady luck prooved to be good with me and at the end of the night I cashed out for 22 euros. :D Knowing myself had I lost those 10 euros there was no way I would ever play poker again.

When in the army a couple of years ago I set up an account on poker.gr (ongame platform) and started playing. Played a bit of everything and experiened different styles on NL holdem but discovered I had a thing for tournaments. I sat down and I studied.
      Bought Harringtons trilogy, Power Holdem from Negreanu and a couple of Helmuths (rubbish) books. I even made my own notes in a book.

I played for a year but 1-2 tables at a time with a BR of $25. It was really slow but a good variance at the start along with good bankroll management later allowed me to turn those 25 dollars into $350 in a year playing regular SnGs and MTTs.

I withdrew all of my money last summer and used them for a trip and then (stupidly) left poker for more than a year. :s_mad:

Me and poker-The present :heart:

So in March I was inspired from a really good friend of mine that was doing great in SnGs in OnGame.

So I decided to get serious again and restart.
      I set up an account on Betfair deposited $20. I mainly started playing Turbo SnGs and lately a mix of 10 man and 30 man. The start was really hard for me but with lots of studying and lots of games I got a bit better everyday. I especially found the transition from regular to turbos a big change for me and had real troubles with adjusting my pushing ranges.

I also started seriously multitabling for the first time in my life and now 2 and a half months later I am sitting with exactly $300 :)

I am a realist though and I know that right now I should be sitting in the bottom of the ranks regarding knowledge and experience. Therefore through this blog along with everyones input I hope I can become better and better everyday. :s_love:

:heart: Targets :heart:

Short term targets

[] :club: Read Sit n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman

[CHECK] :club: Switch to $3.30 SnG Turbos

[] :club: Switch to $5.50 SnG Turbos

[] :club: Make it into the top 50 in Betfair SitNGo leaderboard

[] :club: Increase by bankroll to $1000

[] :club: Reach Gold status on Betfair

Long term targets

[] :club: Make it into the top 20 in Betfair SnG leaderboard at least 3 times.

[] :club: Rank number 1 in the Betfair SnG leaderboard

[] :club: Achieve Master Status (16000 player points, equivelant to $4444 rake)

[] :club: Play 10,000 SnG tournaments

[] :club: Update this blog at least 3 times a week

• 22 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Hi Nicolas,

Welcome to our blogging section! Make sure you tell kurr and demonic they're your inspirations in their blogs, too!

What are you studying in "bloody cold Scotland" then? And where in Scotland? I love bonny Scotland myself, used to live for a while in Edinburgh.

Nice that you finally got around to making your own account!

Looks like you've got a brilliant approach to bankroll management and the game in general already, always a nice thing!

With regard to your picture, basic status members are not able to add pictures into their posts unfortunately. (Hint hint, you can take our Quiz and receive our $50 starting capital! That'd bump you up to bronze by default.)

And to be the bearer of even worse news, I'm saddened to inform you that with regard to the "Link my Pokerstrategy account to my BF account" goal, the poker rooms do not allow us to re-track user accounts to PokerStrategy.com that were not set up with us as the referring affiliate.

We do have a few other Ongame partner rooms though, if that's any help?

Great read though, and I'll be following your blog for sure.

Regards,
      Richard
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Fruktpuff, thanks a lot for the input.

I study in Dundee and I find it lovely there to be honest, been to Edinbourgh a couple of times myself.

Regarding my account, I am waiting for my new bank account plus visa to arrive and then I will set up a new account on Betfair through here.

Maybe I will still affiliate to 888 from here as well as I was thinking of playing in two networks to increase my volume in late hours.

Thanks a lot for coming by!

Nicolas
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      An interesting hand with pocket Aces I came up while having a review session of my play on Holdem Manager. If this hand was later in the tournament with higher blinds I would lean for a push on the flop but here I didnt.

Its never nice folding the best hand preflop but I felt that by the river I wasnt in the best shape possible with a full house and a flush on board.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

On Game, $1 Buy-in (25/50 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (MP3): 1,455 (29.1 bb)
      CO: 1,225 (24.5 bb)
      BTN: 1,500 (30 bb)
      SB: 1,450 (29 bb)
      BB: 2,500 (50 bb)
      UTG+1: 1,470 (29.4 bb)
      UTG+2: 1,670 (33.4 bb)
      MP1: 3,230 (64.6 bb)
      MP2: 500 (10 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A :club: A :spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to 150, 2 folds, SB calls 125, BB calls 100

Flop: (450) 7 :heart: K :diamond: K :heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 225, SB folds, BB calls 225

Turn: (900) 7 :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: (900) J :heart: (2 players)
      BB bets 350, Hero folds

Results: 900 pot
      Final Board: 7 :heart: K:diamond: K :heart: 7 :spade: J :heart:
      Hero mucked A :club: A :spade: and lost (-375 net)
      BB mucked and won 900 (525 net)
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      In general it is against the Terms and Conditions of just about every poker room to open a secondary account, and can often lead to getting your accounts blocked and be excluded from participating in play on the platform.

I really wouldn't recommend setting up a second account in order to get tracked to an affiliate.

Regards,
      Richard
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      I didnt know that. But I will have it in mind.

Last thing I want is get kicked out of betfair :s_cry:
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Wow, what a night last night was.

I went to play a live tournament event and... I won. Biggest live cash at the moment. :s_biggrin:

The structure was 5,000 chips for 15 euros or double buy in for 20 euros and rebuys for one hour with an add or double add on of 10 or 20 euros for 5k /10k chips at the end.

What is your take on add on by the way? I read somewhere that if your addone is more that 25% of your stack its worth taking it and thats what I did.

Blinds where 12 minutes each so basically a turbo tournament with 45 players registered.

From the time I sat on the table I felt I was going to have a good night and a few hands into the game I was quickly doubled up to 20 k with Aces on a 6:heart: 7 :diamond: T :spade: J :club: board against a player pushing all in with 9 :diamond: T :diamond:

From there on I picked up momentum played solid TAG A game and combined with a really soft table of loose passive players I managed to build my stack up to 120k going into the final table as one of the cheap leaders.

First four places were paid.

1st 430 euros
      2nd 240 euros
      3rd 170 euros
      4th 50 euros

When I was left up heads up and both of us with less than 10 BB stacks I offered my opponent a deal. In my oppinion playing for 4 hours and earning 200 euros more on a coinflip at the end doesnt make much sense.

He didnt accept my deal. He had this idea of outplaying me postflop and kept limping his Sb. :f_eek:

As a SnG player my postflop play is not great, so when found with these situations Heads up I love the fact that I memorised Nash tables :f_biggrin:

So now I decided to use 200 euros to boost my Br online and the rest oh well, spent it :tongue: I thought of putting 100% for poker but then again a little cash out once and again its a nice reward.

Have a nice day everyone! :s_cool:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Well done on the cash Nicolas!

It's always nice to bink a juicy score! So you've padded your online bankroll too and I hope you treat yourself to something nice with the rest :)
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      :spade: Yes it feels really nice indeed. Most of all good results always give you a good confidence boost and the motivation to continue playing. :)

• elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      I couldnt get my last months results posted on the first post. Probably because at the time I created the blog I was still basic member and it still doesnt allow me to post pictures on that first post no matter how many times I tried.

Nevertheless here are the results:

Targets for June

:spade: Starting bankroll: $550

:spade: Play at least 1000 SnGs

:spade: Continue with completing the short term targets set above.
    • aokara09
      aokara09
      Bronze
      nice blog sir :) hope you fulfil your challenges..

i will be following!

i've also visited Cyprus once..you see my uncle was a soldier there(i'm greek) so we visited him. really enjoyed it, although i don't remember much cause i was too young like 5-6 years old.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Glad to see you're bronze now and the pictures are working.

Super awesome achievement, so you did no rebuys, just the entry and addon, so €25 into €240? Pretty solid ROI right there!

Keep shipping and keep us updated!

Regards,
      Richard
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Glad to see you're bronze now and the pictures are working.

Super awesome achievement, so you did no rebuys, just the entry and addon, so €25 into €240? Pretty solid ROI right there!

Keep shipping and keep us updated!

Regards,
      Richard

Thank you Richard.

Actually it was a double rebuy plus a double addon 20+20 and cashed 430.

What is your take on add ons? How do you guys decide when to and when not to take an addon in a live tournament?

Nicolas
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Oh, sorry, misread it a little and thought you came second..

Then it's even more awesome!

In general the addons are better chip per dollar value than rebuys in most places I've seen, but of course it depends on your stack..

If you've got 5bb left and the addon would add like 10bb, it might be too little gain, whereas if you have 25bb and it'd add 10bb, it might be worth it for sure.

And of course if you're sitting as a massive CL with 40% of the chips in play, it won't add nearly enough for you.

So I'll settle for "It depends on the situation", as crap as the answer is I'm afraid..
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Today I decided to give a go at $3.30 and $5.50 tournaments for the first time.

I decided to 8 table instead of 12 table just so I could give each table a bit more attention. I also decided to only play 30 man turbos as that is where I am consistenlty more succesfull.

The day started well with a first place cash on a $3.30 for $32.40 but then I had a dry period and for about 10 tables I can no or little cashes :s_mad:

Thankfully at the last 20 tables of the day I had a very good run and finished the day with quite a profit.

I hope tommorow continues like this.

Nicolas

Results

:spade: Tournaments played : 55

:spade: Net profit $102,00

:spade: Bankroll: $655,00
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Oh, sorry, misread it a little and thought you came second..

Then it's even more awesome!

In general the addons are better chip per dollar value than rebuys in most places I've seen, but of course it depends on your stack..

If you've got 5bb left and the addon would add like 10bb, it might be too little gain, whereas if you have 25bb and it'd add 10bb, it might be worth it for sure.

And of course if you're sitting as a massive CL with 40% of the chips in play, it won't add nearly enough for you.

So I'll settle for "It depends on the situation", as crap as the answer is I'm afraid..

Thanks Fruktpuff I will have it in mind.

When I did my double add on I had 30,000 chips and I added another 10,000. I effectively increased my stack by 25% and gave me the chance to "bully" the table around for an extra 2 blind levels.

Also on previous times I noticed that you may be playing for 1 hour be a big stack and then people just do a rebuy and a double add on and they sort of catch up with you so I tried to avoid that.
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Hey buddy!

I am glad you made a blog and good luck with your goals. :s_cool:

I shall create a blog of my own in the near future as soon as I get some stuff sorted out;p
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      The last couple of days havent been going my way. I kept playing mostly $3.30 30 man SnGs but it seems that I am loosing every coin flip and running myself into better hands every time I push from the button and SB.

Bankroll went down to 550 again

To be honest with myself I have to admit that I dont feel that I have been playing my A game 100% of the times but then again I wasnt playing bad either.

On top of that I had my chair collapsing while playing :s_frown:

I saved quite a few hands with different spots that I want examine on holdem manager and I will put them on the evaluation forums later.

I will have a break today hoping that tommorow variance will be my side.

Peace
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Let us know what the judges say about the hands you put up for evaluation, if they like your play or if they come up with suggestions on things to work with, what it'll be.

Regards,
      Richard
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      I had a very interesting spot that I was reviewing. I also posted it on the review forums but I feel it is a judgement call mostly so I would like to get your opinions as well.

This is a final table hand of the 30 man 3.30 buy in and we are on the bubble.

Payout as follows:

The villain on the sb pushing is a regular and I have seen him on the same spot push with 23s on the past where I called with KK. And therefore I made the call.

What would you do there?

1--> 32.40
      2--> 20.70
      3--> 14.85
      4-->10.35
      5-->7.20
      6-->4.50

=================================================

On Game, $3 Buy-in (800/1,600 blinds, 160 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 7 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 3,550 (2.2 bb)
      Hero (BB): 3,375 (2.1 bb)
      MP1: 12,785 (8 bb)
      MP2: 15,475 (9.7 bb)
      MP3: 1,390 (0.9 bb)
      CO: 7,245 (4.5 bb)
      BTN: 1,180 (0.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7 J
      5 folds, SB raises to 3,390 and is all-in, Hero calls 1,615 and is all-in

Flop: (7,550) 4 9 J (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: (7,550) T (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: (7,550) 9 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: 7,550 pot
      Final Board: 4 9 J T 9
      SB showed Q J and won 7,550 (4,175 net)
      Hero showed 7 J and lost (-3,375 net)