[NL2-NL10] 43s NL4 4handed - session review 27/06/12

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      villain makes his standard preflop raise to 3.5x
      this villain is playing 27/19 thru 138 hands sample size to know hes playing loose and will overcommit with overpairs and AK.

i think i can outskill him even oop postflop with this type of hand, and i had a theory of how to possibly get him to overcommit postflop if i hit my hand. He probably thinks im a big fish because of how loose ive been playing preflop.54/30/9 thru 155 hands. what they hadnt figured out yet about me and i knew this for a fact was:
      i was playing tight post flop and would only stack off with what i felt to be strong hands. no top pairs or any type of that crap for the most part.

So i hit the flop and decide that a check raise is the best way to go. Im not putting him on a better hand in a million years with his range. I decide to try and bait him into reraising with a min raise, but it doesnt work, but a fantastic card falls on the turn, the A. Which hits his range very well and now he might think hes well ahead with his AK or AQ. He could even still have many other hands in his range that would like to bluff at the A or even value raise with FD+A. I decide to bet just under half pot and hope again that he raises me. Im still well ahead of his range. He decides to get it in and im happy to oblige. i got what i wanted right? but i still feel the bet sizing could be like $.98 or something there instead of what i bet.

PartyGaming - $0.04 NL - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $5.43
      UTG: $5.00
      BTN: $5.00
      Hero (SB): $7.23

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has 4:heart: 3:heart:

UTG raises to $0.14, fold, Hero calls $0.12, fold

Flop: ($0.32, 2 players) 3:club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond:
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.24, Hero raises to $0.48, UTG calls $0.24

Turn: ($1.28, 2 players) A:heart:
      Hero bets $0.61, UTG raises to $1.48, Hero raises to $6.61 and is all-in, UTG calls $2.90 and is all-in

River: ($10.04, 2 players) 5:spade:

UTG shows 9:diamond: A:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Threes) (Pre 62%, Flop 25%, Turn 23%)
      Hero shows 4:heart: 3:heart: (Three of a Kind, Threes) (Pre 38%, Flop 75%, Turn 77%)
      Hero wins $9.54
  • 8 replies
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Fold pre. You got paid off this time but your likely to be -ev in the long run playing such hands oop.

As played x/r flop bigger imo like ~0.70-0.80
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      but we can play the hand ip? i was pretty sure this guy was the type of player who got glued to his face cards and top pairs. maybe thats why i figured the odds were good even being oop.

also remember that a lot of these hands are against the same player. this player happened to be EXTREMEly weak postflop. i took notice of this and started playing him post flop a lot.

again, this is not a full ring situation. we are 4 handed and i feel like i have a nice edge on this player in particular. the value of suited connectors increases as the table gets less players. they also increase when the player is likely to pay you off when you do hit, so i was correct in playing this hand imo.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      I've read a articles/seen videos against calling small pp's against one opponent. But against guys who are playing fit/fold I've had a lot of success calling ip. He only bets if he has something so we know to fold if he cbets (unless we've hit strongly). And if he checks then we can take it down.

Plus when we do hit (like here) we can cooler his tptk/overpair. So ip i do make such plays although not sure of the long term ev... Hopefully Veriz will be able to tell us!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello ilovemagic,

Preflop: FOLD! No we can't play such hands IP or whatever, you are wasting a lot money in long run, I can assure you that. Your postflop edge is rarely so good and if even it would be you wouldn't be playing this limit.

As played
      Postflop: Raise bigger? You want to protect your hand. And also Bet it bigger.

Best Regards.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      so what the hell can i play then?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      so what the hell can i play then?
      Huh? Please tell me why the hell should you play 43s which doesn't hit much, nor if you hit your flush you will never even know where you stand with the hand. Plus you are OOP you going to play the hand profitable? :D Win the pot with 4 high?

I am not gonna tell what you can play and what you can't, there are charts which you can easily download can follow them.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      43s should be ok to open with 4 handed right?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      43s should be ok to open with 4 handed right?
      Even 4handed you will rarely play such a hand profitable cause you may have easily reversed implied odds for the FD.