PT4 Beta database problems

• keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey guys, wondering if any1 knows a solution to my problem.

When i open the pt4 beta i get this message :

Unable to login to database. Reason: server closed the connection unexpectedly This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.

It then takes me to a screen to connect to the database i think? i press connect and it says:

Unable to connect to this database. Please check the configuration.

If any1 knows what i need to do would be highly appreciated :)
  • 8 replies
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      I had this problem a while ago and when I searched around forums everyone kept saying that it is related to a firewall or some security software, I disabled everything but still nothing solved. so I tried random stuff I found on the pt4 support page, and finally when I deleted some file in the PostgreSQL folder (postmaster.pid I think) it worked.
      hope this helps, if it dosen't just go the pt4 support page and look for more details about the file or whatever, I can't help you anymore because I'm too drunk to do anything right now..
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey thanks for quick reply bud,

i deleted that file you said as i checked on the support and it said if a reboot doesnt work deleting this file may work, however still isnt working, still says to check my configuration to connect to the database.

I dont currently have the most updated version of the beta, could this be the reason/should i update?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      i just started a new thread without checking others :facepalm:

Think im having the same issue as you, i did however update to the latest beta version and mine still isn't working either i guess it wouldn't hurt to try updating though and see if it solves anything for you

let me know how you get on
      Carl
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      hey keoghh,

your problem is definatly with PostgreSQL, you should check if it's running correctly. go to control panel then look for services, you'll find the list of services on your computer, look for PostgreSQL and make sure it is running correctly, since you are having problems with PT4 it should be down, so try to start it manually.
      if that dosen't work, just post on PT forums with details about your windows version and computer configuration and stuff like that, they are very helpfull..
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Ok cheers guys, and will keep you informed Carl.

So heres where im at, ive deleted that postmaster.pid file but still no change unfortunately, checked control panel -> services, tried to "start" PostgreSQL and i get this message "The PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programmes"

Not good at this kinda stuff so not sure what this entirely means is wrong. Not sure what to try from this stage, should i try updating? Should i re-install the postmaster.pid file b4 i update, any suggestions guys?
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by keoghh
      Ok cheers guys, and will keep you informed Carl.

So heres where im at, ive deleted that postmaster.pid file but still no change unfortunately, checked control panel -> services, tried to "start" PostgreSQL and i get this message "The PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programmes"

Not good at this kinda stuff so not sure what this entirely means is wrong. Not sure what to try from this stage, should i try updating? Should i re-install the postmaster.pid file b4 i update, any suggestions guys?
      I got that exact same message:
      "The PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programmes"

but wiered thing is that when I deleted postmaster.pid and then rebooted it worked! I don't know why it is not working for you.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      yup thats the same message i get too.

And i can't even find that file to delete it ?( where should i be looking?
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      yup thats the same message i get too.

And i can't even find that file to delete it ?( where should i be looking?
      C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\

the file is postmaster.pid