Freebie 18/7: Bluffing with Moshman

• EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Hey,

Our Weekly Freebie is a specially selected piece of educational material which we think everyone can benefit from and enjoy, normally every Wednesday.

The third freebie from the wonderful month of July is a series-launcher from Collin, which focuses on Bluffing in the Sit & Go as well as marking the first episode in what will most likely be a multi-part mini-series. Enjoy the video!

Select the cogwheel on YouTube, to adjust the quality to your needs.

For more Freebies, see the Overview Thread
  • 10 replies
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      The latest from Collin, delivered directly to a strategy board near you!

Check out the other freebies

Questions & Comments are welcomed as always!
    • Barlin63
      Barlin63
      Bronze
      Thanks Collin! Very interessting vid. Even though I am a beginner and playing low stakes SNG only I have learned a thing or two that I can practice in my game. To not barrel every street is very interessting and only to continue barraling with a clear plan. Hope that will save me some chips.

Diffiulty for me is ranging my opponents that "randomly" call every bet I make (pre-flop and on further streets). You 'll never know what you get.

Thanks again.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by Barlin63
      Diffiulty for me is ranging my opponents that "randomly" call every bet I make (pre-flop and on further streets). You 'll never know what you get.

Thanks again.
      You don't try to bluff these sort of players, but just go mainly for value. Scare cards etc. don't matter if they are big calling machines :)
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Yes exactly what Ghaleon said, it's very important not to bluff calling stations. Choose your opponent wisely in any SNG bluff :)
    • Barlin63
      Barlin63
      Bronze
      Thanks for the suggestion. Always try to lure them in if they are spewing. Hate the suckouts called variance. AA against 63o. But it is still profitable at the end of the day.

Looking forward to new material.....
    • sngkid
      sngkid
      Bronze
      I did enjoy vid. Q would be in game and multi tabling your 3 barrell example where u try to determine that u have 3:1 value hands vs pure bluffs - are you actually able to calculate this in game ?? seriously I follow that we could conceivably have 99,aa, qq etc and how many variations of each, but by the time i have worked that out and then tried to determine my bluff range combos according to how i have played the hand, and decide if its 3:1 - surely i have timed out or have simply spent too long and my opponent calls now anyway as I would normally have value bet much quicker ??

Is this more a post game review process to see if we are making estimated stabs approx with correct frequency ?

I realy like the explanation on single barrell bluffs and the frequency they need to work in small pots, plus i can see why i can two street barrel on card unlikely to support my opponenets range - pretty sure i am normally the nit folder if i dont connect, but i know i can profitably add in some small bluff plays now if i put my mind to it.

TY
    • sngkid
      sngkid
      Bronze
      oh and can u just confirm as not sure if u did or didnt state this - with 22 value combos and 8 bluff combos - we shuddnt three barrell for half pot in this example - not sure if that was the conclusion ?
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks sngkid. To answer your questions ... In-game a more typical analysis is a bit more qualitative. If you're thinking of bluffing, think about what strong hands you would have played the same way. If you can't think of any, then you shouldn't bluff (unless it's exploitively against a weak player). So even if you're not quantifying hand combos in any way, just being aware of your whole range goes a long way.

And to answer the other question, if you have 24 value combos (for ease of math) and 8 bluff combos, then your opponent can't exploit you if you bet half-pot. He'll be getting 3:1 and breaks even on a call if he's good 25% of the time, which is exactly the frequency you're bluffing.
    • C0WB0Y
      C0WB0Y
      Bronze
      Wow great video but I will def have to watch it a few times to wrap my head around it.

Cowboy
    • Harumamburu
      Harumamburu
      Bronze
      Hello!
      I don't get about bluffing cards vs reg in last example. If we have to choose hands to bluff, are there worse hands than JTs? If hero range has 86o or 5s6s hands, may be better to bluff lover hands than JTs?

(If there any possibility that reg checks back missed dro and folding missed dro vs bet, is it better to have lover hands in bluffing range and bring JT to showdown)

Tnanks