[NL2-NL10] SSS QQ with lots of competition

• Peter68a
      Peter68a
      Bronze
      This had been a hour and 40 minute session at this table with most playing very tight. The reason I had more than $4 in my stack is that I had earlier had to buy in $1.02 chips. Thus I had to have at least $6 if I were to make the minimum profit.

I have only been trying SSS for about a week and still coming to terms with it.

Should I have folded or possibly gone all in after the flop? or was I right to check?

I will let you know the result tomorrow if anyone is interested

Titan Poker 0.20/0.40, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop | [color:#C00000]saw showdown[/color]

Button ($4.03)
      SB ($1.05)
      BB ($4.30)
      UTG UTG ($53.88)
      UTG+1 [color:#C00000]UTG+1 ($20.67)[/color]
      MP [color:#C00000]Hero ($5.20)[/color]
      MP [color:#C00000]MP ($0.29)[/color]
      CO-1 ($19.16)
      CO ($21.83)

Preflop: Hero is in MP with Q :heart: Q :diamond:
      UTG raises to 0.80, UTG+1 calls 0.80, Hero raises to 1.60, MP moves all-in for 0.29, 5 folds, UTG calls 0.80, UTG+1 calls 0.80.

Flop (5.39) 9 :heart: J :spade: 9 :diamond:
      UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn (5.39) 4 :heart:
      UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 2.69, Hero moves all-in for 3.60, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls 0.91.

River (12.59) 6 :heart:

This is just a quick edit to say I have been assessing this hand in PokerTracker and it became obvius that I had broken one of the "Raise/Raise" rules. There were two raisers before me - I should have folded preflop.

Peter
  • 6 replies
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Peter68a
      This had been a hour and 40 minute session at this table with most playing very tight. The reason I had more than $4 in my stack is that I had earlier had to buy in $1.02 chips. Thus I had to have at least $6 if I were to make the minimum profit.
      That is incorrect.
      You leave the table when you have 25BB, no matter how much you received with a rebuy.
      SSS is for a big part based on your stack size (that's why it's called Short Stack Strategy), so that means when you have more than 25BB, things are different when it comes to bet sizes and stuff like that.

However, you still don't have more than 25BB right now, so no need to leave yet.

Ok, about your hand:
      QQ is a hand to reraise with preflop.
      In this case there is a raise and a caller in front of you.
      That means you should raise 3x + 1x per caller the betsize.
      So 4x $0.80 = $3.20
      Since this is more than half of your stack, moving all-in would be the right decision here.

If you don't move all-in preflop, it's an easy push on the flop with an overpair.

I see you're playing NL40, maybe it's better to start at NL10 and try to get used to the whole strategy.
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      You should have been all in preflop.

But since you didn't do that, on the flop you made another mistake. Bet again on the flop, making it all in since 2/3 of the pot would be more than half of your stack.
    • Peter68a
      Peter68a
      Bronze
      The hand converter got the level wrong. I WAS playing NL10-20. Which meant 25BBs would have been $5 and now you have corrected my misconception of the rule I will stick to it. Thanks.

BTW UTG had KK and MP 77

Peter
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      This is just a quick edit to say I have been assessing this hand in PokerTracker and it became obvius that I had broken one of the "Raise/Raise" rules. There were two raisers before me - I should have folded preflop.
      There wasn't two raisers. There was one raiser, one caller. Therefore the bet should have been 3xRaise+1Raise(for the caller). Since this is more than half your stack you should have moved all-in automatically.

Short stack strategy is designed to eliminate the post flop work of poker (where most new players make mistakes), hence why you'll find yourself making such large bets (4xBB or greater), large reraises (3xraise or greater), and moving in often (if the bet calls for more than half your stack)
    • Peter68a
      Peter68a
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by brian997
      There wasn't two raisers. There was one raiser, one caller. Therefore the bet should have been 3xRaise+1Raise(for the caller). Since this is more than half your stack you should have moved all-in automatically.

quote]

Point taken - thanks
      Bronze
      Hey Peter68a,

You should probably stick to the basic strategy if you're only a begginer. So quit the table after exceeding 25bbs. Also, I don't like the attitude: 'I have to stay at the table longer than it's profitable because I lost some here' - poker is a game of statistics, sometimes you loose on every table you're playing while making only +EV moves. It's one big session.

And at the hand: easy all-in as your first action. After a raise and a coldcaller it's so so nice and profitable to push. Do it often with JJ+, AK hands.