Caution: Skype Virus

• BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      As reported in our news section, we've been informed that a malicious worm is currently circulating which is trying to automatically spread itself via the Skype accounts of affected users. PokerStrategists should be particularly cautious as some of our members have already been affected.

As soon as the worm has infected a system it tries to automatically spread itself by sending out a message to all the Skype contacts of the affected user. The message currently says:

"hey is this your skype profile pic?"

Then a link to the picture in question follows and at the end of each link the Skype nickname of the targeted user is included:

"http://xxxxxxxxxx.xxx/xxxxxx?image=[Skype nickname of target]" (Link alienated)

As usual, you should be very careful when opening links that were sent to you by your friends or acquaintances and you should always check whether a received message was sent out due to the worm that's currently circulating.

If this warning didn't reach you in time and your system has already been infected, you can join the discussions in the following thread (Apologies it is currently in German only) in order to figure out how to get rid of the worm in its current version or discuss a solution right in this thread.
  • 17 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Thanks for the heads up :)

I've received a message from a contact regarding this also, not opened though.

Lets do our best to keep this thread bumped so that we can get it seen by as many users as possible!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Yep, some details in my blog about this. Hope it gets wiped out soon. Thanks for posting this.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Downloaded some antivirus today

#GoodTiming

Stay safe everyone!
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Once again it's good to remind everyone that don't open anything that you are not sure what it is.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      it's a link to a .zip file that your browser tries to download. 99% sure that just clicking the link is fine but obv dling and unzipping isn't the smartest thing to do. Good browser (aka chrome) ftw
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      So if I only clicked on thelink but didnt download or unzip anything, should be fine? :rolleyes:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gavron23
      So if I only clicked on thelink but didnt download or unzip anything, should be fine? :rolleyes:
      It appears so but double check everything IMO. I did and everything was fine ;)
    • Vygantas82
      Vygantas82
      Bronze
      So if I only clicked on thelink but didnt download or unzip anything, should be fine? rolleyes

YES. If you update your windows and software you use... 99.9 % of the time you will only get infected when run some executable by yourself.
      Downloaded some antivirus today

(Signature based) antiviruses are almost useless. When this virus just showed up only 2 or 3 antiviruses was able to caught it. Now about 1 day passed and only 10 antiviruses from 43 top brands has signatures for this virus. Do not trust antiviruses, they will not protect you. There are better and close to 100 % effective ways to secure your pc.
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Tnx for that info, stupid me for thinking, hey it's from coach, must be something good. :rolleyes:

And then i was mad at chrome not letting me download it :D

Tnx chrome!!!
    • Tudazul
      Tudazul
      Bronze
      Thanks for info.
    • tapfer
      tapfer
      Basic
      I'm using firefox and Kaspersky antivirus software. usually it catches anything before I can do something stupid, but this time either it didn't catch it or i ignored it like an idiot. Either way, my computer is now affected by this 'worm' and I cannot enter the 'computer' or 'control panel' sections from the start menu, and i cannot right click on my desktop. among other issues, i also cannot use the button in the bottom right of my screen which minimizes everything, and when i maximize a video from youtube, my taskbar is still on top. all these problems have just appeared when one of my friends sent me this virus, accidentally i hope.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
    • KingOfThingsD
      KingOfThingsD
      Basic
      i saw something pop up before the virus sends everytime, the name is 83FD.exe and im still trying to look for it on my pc
    • KingOfThingsD
      KingOfThingsD
      Basic
      [IM[IMG]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg821/scaled.php?server=821&filename=skypeviruswormname.png
    • Vygantas82
      Vygantas82
      Bronze
      I'm using firefox and Kaspersky antivirus software. usually it catches anything before I can do something stupid, but this time either it didn't catch it or i ignored it like an idiot. Either way, my computer is now affected by this 'worm' and I cannot enter the 'computer' or 'control panel' sections from the start menu, and i cannot right click on my desktop. among other issues, i also cannot use the button in the bottom right of my screen which minimizes everything, and when i maximize a video from youtube, my taskbar is still on top. all these problems have just appeared when one of my friends sent me this virus, accidentally i hope. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

In Skype go Tools/Options/Advanced Settings, click "Manage other programs access to skype". if you find unknown application(s) remove it. Then download malwarebytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/. Install, run it and use the FileASSASSIN tool to delete the all .exe file found under AppData directory C:\Users\tamim\AppData\Roaming (If windows XP should be slightly diferent directory). restore performance counter setting from backup (If any). Offcource don't forget change skype password....
      btw if you have purchased legal copy of Kaspersky you can ask their support to help remove viruses.
    • Infected18
      Infected18
      Basic
      What should I do, I think I got infected with the virus. When I dowload it, I accidentally opened it. But I believe it was blocked by my microsoft security essentials. But my friends told me that I keep on sending them the link. So probably The virus in in my pc now. Please help.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Infected18
      What should I do, I think I got infected with the virus. When I dowload it, I accidentally opened it. But I believe it was blocked by my microsoft security essentials. But my friends told me that I keep on sending them the link. So probably The virus in in my pc now. Please help.
      Hi Infected18,

Check out this link for help http://de.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=1484339

Unfortunately it is in German but if you use Google Chrome it should translate it for you and maybe you can figure out what you need to do from there.

Kind regards,
      Gary
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      Ya I DEF clicked this link although i think i canceled the dl. Let me know if i start msg anyone links