Making a living with STT SNGs

• IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

I am 29 years old player from Serbia and have made decision to make a living out of poker. :tongue:

I decided to start a blog in order to keep track of all my future results and get feedback from all the members.

In the past 2-3 months (from July 11th) I have started to work with coach and it is starting to pay off now :) In that period I have moved from 1.5$ 9 max to 3.5$ 9 max and 3.5$ 6 max all on Stars. Believe it or not after about 5k turneys on those limits my roi is not positive which is pretty sick:) I consider myself winning player on those since I moved from Stars to Microgaming to 5.5 euro buy in 6 max turbos and have made profit in last 5 days steady.

Here is my graph from sharkscope on Microgaming

I have been working very hard on my game for the past 2-3 months. Constant homeworks regarding ICM, Bubble and Heads up plays, hand history analysis, post flop playing, hand reading, shoving and calling ranges vs various opponents... I feel I have really improved a lot and gained confidence to move levels.

I look forward to hear from all of you who went or are going through similar journey as me :)

My goal for this and following month is to play 6400 turneys in order to clear out first deposit bonus, get rake, win $ from affiliate race , also from SNG race on the site and of course have winning roi (if possible :)

If things go as planed, I will move to new limit in agreement with Gerovit where I feel I will have more challenge then on this limit so far...

Finally my goals for this month:

- Play 3200 6 max turbo turneys
      - Analyze shoving ranges from reg opponents from SB and BTN
      - Find time to watch some more videos that will prepare me for 11s - any suggestions? (have watched most on SNGgrinders)
      - Dedicate my time to coaching with my coach 3 other players that are just starting on 1.5$ on Stars
      - Do my best to be more involved in PokerStrategy community (other than hand evaluations)

That is all for now, I look forward hearing from all of you - all questions welcome :D

Predrag aka IvicaIliev77
  • 3855 replies
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      I've been playing the 6-max Hyper SNGs on PartyPoker recently. So as you're playing the same type as I will be.... I'm definitely going to be following this blog.

Welcome to the blogging section and ship it! Good luck.
    • janushr
      janushr
      Bronze
      I have been havin fun and playing most sng,last few years,and i was able to cashout some during time,but hardly to have some great living,as i am also playing still micro limits...sretno;)
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zareos
      I've been playing the 6-max Hyper SNGs on PartyPoker recently. So as you're playing the same type as I will be.... I'm definitely going to be following this blog.

Welcome to the blogging section and ship it! Good luck.
      Very nice to hear from fellow grinder !
      Thank you for warm welcome and yes lets ship it :D
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by janushr
      I have been havin fun and playing most sng,last few years,and i was able to cashout some during time,but hardly to have some great living,as i am also playing still micro limits...sretno;)
      Janushr thanks for sharing your story man :)
      I don't think there is money at micro limits... The money starts to come later as prize for hard work and dedication. Thats the way I see it at least.
      For example, without roi, just clearing the bonuses rake races and such at this level you can earn 1400$ a month. I hope you agree , in most countries thats a nice cash for less than 200 hours a month of playing. So yeah, there is definitely money in SNGs its just the mater of combining multiple things and not only ROI and then its GG :)
      Hvala :D
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      I will be following! good story so far best off luck, how many table's you playing at once?
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iFortunatus
      I will be following! good story so far best off luck, how many table's you playing at once?
      Glad to hear that :)
      Since these turbos on Microgaming are mainly about push/fold or call in late game, I can play 8+ tables without any problems. I would say maximum I like to play is 12 , minimum is 8. Problems occur if tables are loading slow and also it takes time to go to lobby, click on the turney, buy in, click ok, close the turney window and then head back to tables. So I find that to take me most time rather than action on the actual tables which seems to be very easy at this moment.

I would like to update my goals for this month as I had coaching session today and got some new pointers :)
      I will :

- Analyze opponents calling ranges when I shove sb into their bb
      - Analyze bubble dynamics , different stacks and overall ICM
      - Aim to adjust all the time regarding every bubble situation and opponent (in other words no standard shove or call situations!)

To update blog a bit, let me share current results on SNG race that will run from 5th to 14th of October.

My screen name is IvicaIliev77

Or check out this link if it works for you http://www.stanjames.com/UK/541/poker#action=sitgoraceleaderboard
    • janushr
      janushr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      I don't think there is money at micro limits... The money starts to come later as prize for hard work and dedication. Thats the way I see it at least.
      For example, without roi, just clearing the bonuses rake races and such at this level you can earn 1400$ a month. I hope you agree , in most countries thats a nice cash for less than 200 hours a month of playing. So yeah, there is definitely money in SNGs its just the mater of combining multiple things and not only ROI and then its GG :)
      thats nice cash prolly in our countries,but its not so easy to make it at micro limits,IMHO...i dont know how you can win any if you dont have a GOOD ROI :f_cool:
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      thats nice cash prolly in our countries,but its not so easy to make it at micro limits,IMHO...i dont know how you can win any if you dont have a GOOD ROI :f_cool:
      I agree its not easy but it wouldn't be fun if everybody was making living in poker :) IT has to be hard at challenging at some point...
      I will try to explain you in couple of sentences how money is made without any ROI.
      Every site offers Rakeback , every site also has first deposit bonus. Combining those 2 things, you will get at least 40% rakeback using those methods. How you make money from rakeback? Simple, you play a lot of games, you pay site rake (for 5.50 euro games I play, 0.50 is rake) and from total rake you make you get % back (I already mentioned from 40% up).
      If this is not enough, site always offers various promotions, leaderboards, SNG races etc... Through these you can make anywhere from 100$ a month all the way to 1000$s... Depends what level game you play and how much you rake since they give you points regarding rake you make.
      If this is not enough, you can always sign through affiliate which will most of the times offer better Rake race from which you can also make a lot of money.
      Last but not least, when you put all those things above, your ROI can only came as something on top of that :)
      Don't get me wrong, I am not saying just play and you will make money. No, you definitely need to learn, improve, work on your game as much as possible but as single table sng turbo player, you will make good money from all those things regardless of your roi. At higher limits, when you move to 11s, 22s etc, your winnings can go anywhere from 3k$ a month and up...
      One thing is for sure, to make this kind of $ you really need to work hard and people who say poker is easy haven't studied yet :) Besides everything volume is of course key if you plan to make money from rakeback, affiliate races and first deposit bonus. If you don't put time, money will depend from ROI entirely ( I dare to say) so I choose instead to put a lot of time in volume make money in the process while I improve my game.

Hope this clears up things now :)
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      All of the above has certainly cleared thing's up for me I didnt like to ask how you made that much with 0% ROI, do you switch rooms often then? putting the largest deposit possbile in means off the bonus's and etc?

I never new it would be possible to make this much on $5's
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iFortunatus
      All of the above has certainly cleared thing's up for me I didnt like to ask how you made that much with 0% ROI, do you switch rooms often then? putting the largest deposit possbile in means off the bonus's and etc?

I never new it would be possible to make this much on $5's
      I am glad it made more sense :)

From 1st of October I changed the limit from 3.5$ 6 max turbo on Stars to 5.5 euro on Microgaming. So I am still quite new to this limit and yes its been only a week since I switched room.

Since I am on coaching/stake deal for 1 year (10 more months to go) I will change rooms when I finish program with my coach and make even more money then (everything I earn will be 100% mine :)
      My goal that I set when I started was to make constant 700 euro (at least) a month from poker. I told my coach he has until end of 2013 to make me be able to make that money and not worry about bills and general life things :)
      The way things seem now is I will make that money even this month which is my 3rd month since I am in coaching/staking deal :)

I was also like you 2-3 months ago. I never really figured out how it was possible to make all that money without roi and such things until I started to work with a coach and then he made it all clear for me. It is kind of funny because all this information is open to public but still many people have no idea how things work in poker when it comes to making money. I was certainly one of those people and now I know even if downswing strikes I don't have to worry because all the extra things will cover it and make me money in the long run with my ev+ game :) (hopefully)
      To answer your question, yes it is recommended to put maximum amount of money poker room allows you to deposit and then within 60 or 90 days (depending on the rooms promotion) clear that whole bonus 100% or 200% (depending on room/network). Again, to be able to do this you will not make it on 3.5$ limit. I even think that this limit 5.5 euro is OK , but certainly real money starts from next level which is 11s. So if now you can make 1400$ without roi on 5.5, on 11s its 2800$, 22s is 5600$ without roi etc... Do you really want to go further than 22s if you are grinding lets say 6000 games a month? Right now if somebody game me 5k$ every month I would probably go crazy spending it , traveling and enjoying life, so my thinking now is that 5k$ a month would be plenty! :) But, you never know, I am working now as coach myself so I will need to build roll to invest into my prospective students who will play those limits in future. That investment costs good money (think about 200 buy ins for 5.5, thats 1100 euro, or 11s 2200 euro times 4-5 students... )
      The way things work in life (at least in my life :) is set a goal , reach it and then keep moving the bar aiming for new limits.
      That is how I approach work with my coach and every day, every game and session I give my best to improve at fast pace in order to move higher and higher.

Hope all this writing helped further. You can add me on skype we can talk more I am done playing for today but feel free of course to write here more :D
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Update!

Its been a week on new limit and over 1000 tourneys so far. There was influence of both downswing and upswing so it is pretty soon to say how good or bad I played here :)
      I am currently 4th on SNG race organized by the site and 29th on affiliate race...
      Here is the graph from Sharkscope just for games and profit without bonuses,rakeback and such.

In the meanwhile I found leaks in my game and started to correct them. I realized I have a lot of things to learn for future levels and am now even more driven to keep moving forward and work even harder!

My routine so far has been aiming to play 125+ games 6 days a week in 3 sessions a day. Now since I have more homework and things to work on that will prepare me for new limit, I will have to readjust and perhaps play 2 longer sessions. It will definitely be interesting as I played 2 sessions today (60 then 76 tourneys) and I didn't feel tired at all. We shall see how this will work every day.
      In general I play poker Monday through Saturday. Sunday I dedicate for some music/guitar lessons I teach so I plan to keep it that way for long time :)

If you guys have some ideas regarding articles, videos or anything really related to 11s feel free to share here :)

On the side note, I am huge Partizan Belgrade fan and Ivica Iliev is my favorite player that played in our club hence the nick IvicaIliev77 :)
    • HENEX
      HENEX
      Bronze
      GO GO :f_cool:
    • etro
      etro
      Bronze
      Stretno stari, vidimo se uskoro na petnaestkama :) Pozdrav iz Bosne
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HENEX
      GO GO :f_cool:

GO GO POWER RANGERS! :D
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by etro
      Stretno stari, vidimo se uskoro na petnaestkama :) Pozdrav iz Bosne
      Hvala puno, podrska uvek znaci :)
      Kako ide , na kojoj si mrezi? Jel radis sa nekim trenerom ili solo cepas?
      Pozdrav :)
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Some new things going on!

I have changed my routine from 3 to 2 sessions a day and it has given me extra time for study. I am now working in HEM and SNG wiz on very specific situations that will bring me edge on future levels :)
      So far roi has been 6% but I believe I could bring it up to 10% in near future. Regardless of that I look forward moving to 11s for some more challenge ;)
    • VaskataBuci
      VaskataBuci
      Bronze
      Greetings from Bulgaria!

As far as I remember the poker has been recently regulated in Serbia, which is to happen probably soon in Bulgaria. So I'm curious was there any change for the players, do you still have access to most of the sites, do you still have the same deals, rakeback offers, bonuses, etc.
      Which city you are from?

Pozdrav,
      Sve naj-bolje
    • Warrior21
      Warrior21
      Bronze
      Hello from Athens Greece,

A few months ago i decided to play 6 max sngs on Stars. I started watching some videos and read some articles but i never really did a serious analysis of my game. Anyway i quickly moved up to $3.5 6max sngs keeping a bankroll of 100 bbs. At this lvl maybe half of the players on the tables are complete ignorants to say the least. But after playing 1000 games and going to a 50 BIns downswing by losing nearlly every allin, i mean i wish i could show u my Poker Traker graph, i finally lost confidence and quit. I know that the sample of 1000 games is not big but when i have a sample of 1024 allins with 2 and 3 players that 80000 chips under expected EV it really hurts u alot. My point is u have to be mentally ready for these swings and very importantly have the bankroll to get through them alive. If u continue to improve your game and deal with these downswings i am sure u will make it. I for once started grinding 6max cash but this time i am well prepared and i plan to make it.

I wish u all the best my friend and pls continue to keep us informed with your progress:)
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VaskataBuci
      Greetings from Bulgaria!

As far as I remember the poker has been recently regulated in Serbia, which is to happen probably soon in Bulgaria. So I'm curious was there any change for the players, do you still have access to most of the sites, do you still have the same deals, rakeback offers, bonuses, etc.
      Which city you are from?

Pozdrav,
      Sve naj-bolje
      Greetings Bulgarian friend :)
      As far as I can tell nothing has changed yet in Serbia regarding poker. I can still register to all the sites and have access to all the rakeback deals.
      Nis, close to Sofia :D

Pozdrav i sve najbolje :)