This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH - fold top pair?

• kesgab
      kesgab
      Bronze
      Titan Poker Ausdrucksvoll 0.05/0.10, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop | saw showdown

Button Hero ($9.85)
      SB SB ($8.36)
      BB ($2.90)
      UTG UTG ($1.40)
      UTG+1 UTG+1 ($8.34)
      CO ($4.85)

Preflop: Hero is on the Button with Q:spade: A:diamond:
      UTG calls 0.10, UTG+1 calls 0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises to 0.50, SB calls 0.45, 1 fold, UTG calls 0.40, UTG+1 calls 0.40.

Flop (2.10) Q:heart: 6:spade: 5:club:
      SB checks, UTG bets 0.90, UTG+1 raises to 2.20, Hero calls 2.20, 1 fold.

Turn (7.40) T:spade:
      UTG+1 bets 5.64, Hero calls 5.64.

I think i could see on the flop that i am going to be commited if i call so i have to decide if my hand is worth going allin in this situation. My answer would be a no probably, so i could fold on the flop.

What do you think?
  • 4 replies
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      Sick spot. UTG leads into 3, UTG+1 raises and noone of them is the PFA! I think I make a weak fold. I can't see a good draw (only 76, but this is not often in their range). More likely, one of them has sth like a set or a slowplayed monster. Its a spot where I don't feel comfortable to get it in w/o reads.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I think I am raising more preflop, since UTG has made such a mistake by even limping in the first place, since he only has a 14BB stack. It should be .60 anyway, but since UTG has so little, make it $1, and try to isolate him straight away.

I think the reason he donks the rest of his stack on the flop is because he has almost nothing, and we can disregard him completely postflop.

So then is UTG+1 raising because he has the monster, or because he is thinking, and sees UTG as weak, and wants to isolate him? Your answer depends on that, I think.

You will get reads even if you don't call, because there will be a showdown.
    • kesgab
      kesgab
      Bronze
      Thanks you guys for the detailed evaluations!

Yes i made a mistake by raising only 0.5 and not the standard 0.6 which i usually play.
      I like the idea of isolating the short stack utg preflop with a bigger than normal raise. (Although here it wouldn't work because utg+1 had QQ. Weird play from him i think - limp behind preflop is a big mistake with QQ, and played it too aggressively on the flop when he had the nuts. Very deceptive, though, but i think in the long run it can't be a higher EV play than the standard.)
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Yeah, very bad play by UTG+1. Limp/calling preflop, then raising with the nuts on the driest of flops before the PFA had a chance to play. Take notes on the guy, because no doubt he thinks he is a genius with this result.

Bear in mind for future cases that when there is an all in, you get a cheap read if you don't play, because the showdown is assured, and you can get to see what sort of hand will play this way.