[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH - fold top pair?

• kesgab
      kesgab
      Bronze
      Titan Poker Ausdrucksvoll 0.05/0.10, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop | saw showdown

Button Hero ($9.85)
      SB SB ($8.36)
      BB ($2.90)
      UTG UTG ($1.40)
      UTG+1 UTG+1 ($8.34)
      CO ($4.85)

Preflop: Hero is on the Button with Q:spade: A:diamond:
      UTG calls 0.10, UTG+1 calls 0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises to 0.50, SB calls 0.45, 1 fold, UTG calls 0.40, UTG+1 calls 0.40.

Flop (2.10) Q:heart: 6:spade: 5:club:
      SB checks, UTG bets 0.90, UTG+1 raises to 2.20, Hero calls 2.20, 1 fold.

Turn (7.40) T:spade:
      UTG+1 bets 5.64, Hero calls 5.64.

I think i could see on the flop that i am going to be commited if i call so i have to decide if my hand is worth going allin in this situation. My answer would be a no probably, so i could fold on the flop.

What do you think?
  • 4 replies
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      Sick spot. UTG leads into 3, UTG+1 raises and noone of them is the PFA! I think I make a weak fold. I can't see a good draw (only 76, but this is not often in their range). More likely, one of them has sth like a set or a slowplayed monster. Its a spot where I don't feel comfortable to get it in w/o reads.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I think I am raising more preflop, since UTG has made such a mistake by even limping in the first place, since he only has a 14BB stack. It should be .60 anyway, but since UTG has so little, make it $1, and try to isolate him straight away.

I think the reason he donks the rest of his stack on the flop is because he has almost nothing, and we can disregard him completely postflop.

So then is UTG+1 raising because he has the monster, or because he is thinking, and sees UTG as weak, and wants to isolate him? Your answer depends on that, I think.

You will get reads even if you don't call, because there will be a showdown.
    • kesgab
      kesgab
      Bronze
      Thanks you guys for the detailed evaluations!

Yes i made a mistake by raising only 0.5 and not the standard 0.6 which i usually play.
      I like the idea of isolating the short stack utg preflop with a bigger than normal raise. (Although here it wouldn't work because utg+1 had QQ. Weird play from him i think - limp behind preflop is a big mistake with QQ, and played it too aggressively on the flop when he had the nuts. Very deceptive, though, but i think in the long run it can't be a higher EV play than the standard.)
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Yeah, very bad play by UTG+1. Limp/calling preflop, then raising with the nuts on the driest of flops before the PFA had a chance to play. Take notes on the guy, because no doubt he thinks he is a genius with this result.

Bear in mind for future cases that when there is an all in, you get a cheap read if you don't play, because the showdown is assured, and you can get to see what sort of hand will play this way.