Never give up

• Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      Hi,

I had an interesting SNG tournament last night which made me think. I played on Mansion, 5+0.5 10 players SNG.

After playing tight up to 4th level (50/100, 9 players left), I've got QQ on SB with one caller from MP3. After my oponent getting lucky I was left with 15 chips.
      Now my dilema was what to do with them - going All-in on next hand, just give up or what?

I've decided not to give up and to wait for a playable hand up to being BB. And I realy had to wait up to being BB, automaticaly going all-in, to get suited hand (96 H). I've got lucky flopping full house, which gave me 300 chips. After that I've played my best strategy I could and at the end finished ITM as 3rd.

I need to say this wasn't my first time surviving and cruiseing ITM after a bad beat, but this was my first time on Mansion and first time being left with so little chips. After re-thinking everything I 've made a conclusion that you should never give up in a situation like this. You aren't going to make it every time, of course, but if you do make it here and there, it is worth your efforts.

Do you have any thoughts about that? Did you find yourself in a similar situation?

Samo
  • 9 replies
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Of course. The only time you shouldn't be waiting for the BB is if your SB commits you or there are antes. I wouldn't get too fussy though, you're quite likely to be dealt trash on the BB if you wait that long.
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      I have been in a situation like this some time ago, it was pretty funny though..

I was heads up in a sng and after I lost w/AA against the opponent I was left with like 200 chips and the blinds have been like 400/800. I was forced all-in 3 hands in a row and won every one including my opponent's AA which I cracked with I guess it was K8 ... to tell the end of that story I actually finished 1st after I pushed the next few hands until we were even stacked again and then I won the final all-in..

situations like this don't occur in general and if you're 1-tabling you may give waiting for a playable hand a try but I'm not a big fan of it because you let the hopes overwhelm you and if you don't cash you're disappointed by a situation which was indeed hopeless from the beginning. you need to win at least 4 pots to have a moderate stack again and those good runs don't happen very often.

but yeah, if your stack is that small that you don't generate any fold equity and you're on the button w/crap I think I would also wait (if there are no antes ofc) the next few hands and push everything that is above average
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      True, I was in heads-up SNG with 500 chips vs 2500, not so bad but the blinds were 50/100 I folded a BB with 39os on a min raise, and still waited for a better had, sure enough I got QT and doubled up, then won the SNG.

500 vs 2500 isn't as bad as yours, but giving up certainly doesn't do anything, also if you have no hopes, atleast you will gain a little more experience playing a few more hands before busting out.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      I love when it happens, one time I got QQ the 2nd hand in an sng, n ended up getting rivered by AK, I had 30 chips left n went all in with 57 :heart: or somethin, hit a flush n managed to quadruple up. I can't really remember the rest of the story, but I managed to come 4th in an 18 man, n the guy who'd beat me with AK the first hand didn't make it.

Another time I was down to about 2 BB's, n I went all in with A6 n a few people called, the flop came 66x then another 6 on the turn :D n I went on to win that one too.

I've also seen a guy on the bubble with 90 chips left, who managed to come back and knock me out :rolleyes:
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      that's nothing

Played a SNG HU the other guy had 125 chips i had the rest blinds 200/400

He won the SNG
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vladnz
      that's nothing

Played a SNG HU the other guy had 125 chips i had the rest blinds 200/400

He won the SNG
      Thats very similiar what i managed to do. When did it happen? You play at Stars?

I got desperately shorstacked after some kind of a beat, i was like ~150 chips and the blinds were like you said, I stood up and won the whole SnG,

~150 chips win vs. ~13k. was my best result :D
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Samo2
      Hi,

I had an interesting SNG tournament last night which made me think. I played on Mansion, 5+0.5 10 players SNG.

After playing tight up to 4th level (50/100, 9 players left), I've got QQ on SB with one caller from MP3. After my oponent getting lucky I was left with 15 chips.
      Now my dilema was what to do with them - going All-in on next hand, just give up or what?

I've decided not to give up and to wait for a playable hand up to being BB. And I realy had to wait up to being BB, automaticaly going all-in, to get suited hand (96 H). I've got lucky flopping full house, which gave me 300 chips. After that I've played my best strategy I could and at the end finished ITM as 3rd.

I need to say this wasn't my first time surviving and cruiseing ITM after a bad beat, but this was my first time on Mansion and first time being left with so little chips. After re-thinking everything I 've made a conclusion that you should never give up in a situation like this. You aren't going to make it every time, of course, but if you do make it here and there, it is worth your efforts.

Do you have any thoughts about that? Did you find yourself in a similar situation?

Samo
      how can you win 300 chips when you only have 15?
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      yah i play on stars it was a 1.20 SNG
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sai7
      Originally posted by Samo2
      Hi,

Samo
      how can you win 300 chips when you only have 15?
      20 handed. Everyone called obvs.