[NL2-NL10] Nl 10 Qq

Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $14.59 (145.9 bb)
      CO: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
      SB: $10.50 (105 bb)
      MP: $10.56 (105.6 bb)
      UTG: $10.17 (101.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q Q
      UTG raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) 5 T J (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.30, Hero raises to $1.60, UTG calls $1.30

Turn: ($3.95) 6 (2 players)
      UTG bets $2.50, Hero folds

Results:
      $3.95 pot ($0.19 rake)
      Final Board: 5 T J 6
      Hero mucked Q Q and lost (-$1.90 net)
      UTG mucked and won $3.76 ($1.86 net)

I called on BTN because opponent was unknown. His range is strong and if he four bets I think I have a flip at best. Also neither of the blinds were too aggressive. What do you think?

On flop I think I have best hand a lot of the time which is why I raise for value. His call confuses me slightly and his bet on the turn makes me question what hands I now beat. I don't see him playing AJ this way but its possible. Besides that I think his range has me crushed (sets, overpairs, 2-pairs)

If I 3bet pre flop a lot of his medium pairs fold so I then avoid putting some sets in his range post-flop. I find it hard to weigh up these two actions (3bet or cold call) especially against an unknown.
  • 8 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Preflop: Calling is fine without info and if you expect him to be tight. You would be slightly ahead in a 3bet/shove scenario although you would make money from the times he folds preflop.

Flop: On the flop you say we raise for value, but he is unknown so what range do we give him for calling? Also what do we do if he 3-bets?
      Bronze
      I actually should have said I raised because I thought I had the best hand a lot in this spot. I think this means it is more of a raise for protection?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Pre-flop: Agree with what you said. If you think you are isolating yourself vs a tight 4bet range, it probably means you are not 3bet bluffing enough vs UTG raises. It's very typical for microstakes players to 3bet vs UTG raises 1-2% only which is really exploitable (opponent just folds cos you rarely bluff).

So the best play should not only be based on how wide UTG opens, but also your table image and how you expect him to react. For example my vs UTG 3bet is 4-5% a lot of the time cos I get out of line a lot. Therefore, I would have to 3bet QQ to balance out my wide bluffing range. If you don't bluff a lot, then your value 3bet range should also be narrow.

Flop: I usually call vs larger bets cos he's UTG and shouldn't have too many JX which can call multiple bets and play for stacks. But his sizing looks so weak. I think it is much less likely he has KK+ or sets so I agree with the raise. I don't think I would fold to a 3bet on the Flop though. You would need to be super sure that he would call a ton of worse hands (like draws and JX) and only 3bet stronger hands. I don't think you have such strong reads on the situation. Thus I would raise/shove the Flop.

Turn: Stick with the plan. Folding is a mistake IMO. So our options are now to call or fold. I think playability on river is really poor. So many bad cards (A/K/hearts/9/8) so I just jam and hope to be up against AJ or KJ.
      Bronze
      You are correct my range for 3betting UTG is AA, KK, AK, QQ sometimes and very rarely anything besides that. Also I never 3bet bluff in this spot.

I see your point about jamming the turn but I think from my own experience I am very rarely ahead in this spot at this limit.

Jamming and hoping to see Jx seems a little fishy to me?
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Well i don't agree with preflop call from one side not mentioned yet. If we call we give very good odds to blinds and somehow we make our very good hand difficult to play postflop. If we know that UTG 4bets only with KK+ AK we can still fold to 4bet.
      Bronze
      I mentioned that the blinds weren't very aggressive, but yes I am giving very good odds to set mine in the blinds.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I think you guys are overestimating the importance of preventing people from having odds to set-mine. QQ plays decent postflop, you get an overpair on 65% of boards I think.

I think it's better to risk getting sucked out on postflop rather than risk isolating yourself purely against a strong 4bet range. I really hate 3betting QQ with the intention of folding to a 4bet, unless you are 100% sure that he only 4bets KK+ and calls with a ton of worse hands.
      Bronze
      I would also think that if opponent hits a set I will not have to go broke on a lot of boards so it is safe enough to allow him to set mine.