road to recovery, starting to turn around, dabbling with plo atm

• lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      so I think I'm gonna start a blog as well, didn't really wanna do it before because I was kind of lazy, but I think it will help me focus more and prevent me to tilt (i need proper excuses to my losses :D )

As you may have seen in the downswing report forum I just had a brutal downswing. (things started to get swingy at the end, I tilted 1K playing like a maniac, managed to get it back the day after, and then the real cold run came, just couldn't win a single pot without losing it instantaneously on another table.

My roll was at 2578$ after that. pretty frustrating that I was on the verge of breaking the 5K mark.

So the goal is to have it all back by the end of July and to break my peak so that I can finally play NL200, by playing 60% 6-max and 40% HU roughly. I will try to get back to 100nl at 6-max pretty soon, once I hit 3.2K again, but I will probably wait a little more for HU 100nl since variance is bigger.

My gameplan is clear:
      - play good poker, try to tilt as much as I can the regs by constantly switching from goofy weird stuff like limping/minraising/overbetting to solid tAG poker.

- don't get carried away and start opening/3betting any 2 on CO and BTN unless I am feeling very confident I have outplayable donks at the table (and I have serious evidence that I'm running very hot. :P )

-try to breakeven in non showdown pots, without losing value on my good hands though.

-not 3 barrel bluff people that don't have fold button. or at least make the 3rd barrel an overbetshove.

-get g00t at HU, eventually make it my main game. Being able to 4-table effectively without it affecting my game.

-last but not least : run hotter than the sun

I won't be able to grind a lot since I have a job, but should be able to play 1K a workingday on average, and try to put in 2-3K a day during the weekend (although it will probably me closer to 2K)
  • 16 replies
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Good Luck :)
      I'll be reading so you had better keep updated :P
      It seems a lot of people are on the downswing right now (myself included), so let this be the day when all that changes!
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      so today was OK, I made back almost 4 buy-ins.

I played 2 6-max sessions, during the first one I was on a clear heater and won 6BI, but during the second one got colddecked twice and didn't make top pair once. Here are a few interesting hands:

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

MP: $9.90
      CO: $19.45
      Hero (BTN): $76.00
      SB: $50.25
      BB: $90.45
      UTG: $8.95

Pre Flop: Hero is BTN with K :spade: K :diamond:
      1 fold, MP raises to $1, 1 fold, Hero calls $1, 1 fold, BB raises to $4.25, MP calls $3.25, Hero raises to $16, BB calls $11.75, MP calls $5.65 all in

here I didn't want to stack solely the shortfish. Since BB had a rather big Squeeze% but he folded 95% to 3bets (the raise or fold type) I decided to play goofy and give him a chance to valuetown himself. If he didn't enter the pot, wasn't a big deal, I was gonna stack the SS anyway

Flop: ($42.15) 7 :heart: 8 :heart: 5 :diamond: (3 players - 1 is all in)
      BB bets $30, Hero raises to $60 all in, BB calls $30

plan worked perfectly. Valuetown express

Turn: ($162.15) 6 :diamond:

River: ($162.15) J :spade:

ZOMG I HOLD !!!!1111111

Final Pot: $162.15
      MP shows Qh Ac (Ace Queen high)
      Hero shows Ks Kd (a pair of Kings)
      BB shows Td Ts (a pair of Tens)

Now on to two 3-barrel bluffs. Both should have worked as my reads were definitely accurate, but I did misjudge the calling ability of the fish in the 2nd one.

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players

BB: $50.70
      UTG: $43.30
      CO: $49.20
      Hero (BTN): $52.10
      SB: $53.40

Pre Flop: Hero is BTN with 8 :diamond: Q :diamond:
      UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.25, 2 folds, UTG calls $1.75

Flop: ($5.25) 3 :diamond: 3 :heart: 7 :heart: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.50, Hero raises to $4, UTG calls $3.50

so when they do that they're gonna make it pretty clear if they have hand by 3betting. He snapcalls so I know he has at best a fd or weak PP

Turn: ($13.25) J :club: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $10, UTG calls $10

snaps it again as fast as he can. 100% fd here, he would think w/ a small PP as the J is a scarecard

River: ($33.25) 6 :club: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $33.25, UTG folds

sorry dude, come back next time and the flush might be there, now I'm just gonna jam it inyaface

Final Pot: $33.25
      Hero wins $31.60
      (Rake: $1.65)

ship ship :D

Onto the next one: I knew he was weak on all streets. He blew my mind by snapping the river. Notice how I manage not to spike anything too.

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players

BB: $69.20
      UTG: $51.55
      CO: $50.65
      BTN: $53.40
      Hero (SB): $75.00

Pre Flop: Hero is SB with A :heart: Q :diamond:
      1 fold, CO calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2, BB calls $1.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($4.50) 4 :spade: 9 :diamond: J :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3, BB calls $3

Turn: ($10.50) T :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $7.50, BB calls $7.50

River: ($25.50) 4 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $20.50, BB calls $20.50

Final Pot: $66.50
      BB shows 7c Tc (two pair, Tens and Fours)
      Hero shows Ah Qd (a pair of Fours)
      BB wins $63.50
      (Rake: $3.00)

meh

I then played a little HU sesh which started off quite bad as I just couldn't make a hand and obv coudn't check/raise every pot either. Then I managed to stack the shortstack that was annoying me by coolering the hell out of him and to get back to even against some aggro station that was outflopping me every single hand so I did the instaquit thing.
      Another shortstack sits in, he will end up being quit on leaving him half his stack (I so enjoy doing that :D ) and on my other table, a fullstack sits in. He actually 3bets the first hand. I fold my J9o, as it happens to get a monster for first hand, but I look his location and discover he is from Finland. So I am pretty salivating, this is gonna be a very cool aggro match, and he is gonna spew his chips to me. He turned out to be a complete sicko. I'll let you review the HH.
      cliffnotes: he 3bet 60%, didn't fold to 4bets after folding to my first one and cracking my second one w/ 64o (I had AA obv). last hand is pretty cool imo as I manage to hold and own him hard (was actually 4betting Q8 for value).

Since they're not that many hands I'll put all of them

so as swissmoumout pointed out a multiple HH is not very eye-friendly, so I posted in 2+2 to use their integrated HH replayer. Btw, ps should def get one of those.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?p=5050515#post5050515
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      so I guess it was tl;dr considering the huge numbers of answers I got :D

today I basically made 2.5 BI un HU pretty quickly because NL50 donkregs don't know that they're allowed to fold a flush draw in HU and I managed to hold twice (actually the first one I had overflush draw, so I held against his 6 outer).

Then I played some 6-max, managed to get pretty cool holecards all along and not hitting anyflop, and getting 0 action on my QQ+ so I dropped back 2 BI real quick and grinded it back to even with some awesome aggro pokerz. I think I never bluffed this well in so many hands, each time tailoring my bluff to the poor villain. I felt powerful.

bankroll at 2901$

hands of the day:

------------------
      HAND #1
      ------------------

the guy was a random donk that bought in for 20$, proceeded to suck out on me real quick, bluffed in the most crazy spots and always showed, so I got some good reads on him, which enabled me to make that bluff. In another hand I also made a nice calldown, but I don't remember my holecards and I'm too lazy to review all the hands.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $70
      BB: $46.45

Pre-Flop: 8:diamond: 6:diamond: dealt to Hero (SB)
      Hero raises to $1.50, BB raises to $2.50, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($5) 3:spade: A:club: K:spade: (2 Players)
      BB bets $4, Hero raises to $12.50, BB calls $8.50

Turn: ($30) J:heart: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($30) A:diamond: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $55 and is All-In, BB folds

Results: $30 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
      Hero showed 8:diamond: 6:diamond: (a pair of Aces) and won the pot

------------------
      HAND #2
      ------------------

TPTK is the nuts in HU, but tbh I thought I would be against something more scary but still nice to hold. He did the instaquit.

Hero (SB): $53.25
      BB: $47.50

Pre-Flop: A:spade: Q:diamond: dealt to Hero (SB)
      Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1

Flop: ($3) Q:spade: 7:heart: T:spade: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2, BB raises to $6.75, Hero raises to $18.50, BB raises to $46 and is All-In, Hero calls $27.50

Turn: ($95) 9:diamond: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($95) 4:diamond: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $95 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
      Hero showed A:spade: Q:diamond: (a pair of Queens) and WON $94.50 (+$47 NET)
      BB showed 4:spade: 6:spade: (a pair of Fours) and LOST (-$47.50 NET)

------------------
      HAND #3
      ------------------

So that hand was like the 8th of the match, I get the greatest flop ever. When he calls my c/r I put him on a weak Q or a worse draw. When he shoves over the turn I know he has a weaker draw with no pair since he would've shoved on the flop w/ the Qxcc. Nice to hold.

SB: $50.25
      Hero (BB): $50

Pre-Flop: A:club: 7:club: dealt to Hero (BB)
      SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3) Q:diamond: 2:club: 3:club: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $3, Hero raises to $11, SB calls $8

Turn: ($25) 2:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $16.50, SB raises to $37.75 and is All-In, Hero calls $21 and is All-In

River: ($100) A:spade: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $100 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
      SB showed 9:club: J:club: (a pair of Twos) and LOST (-$50 NET)
      Hero showed A:club: 7:club: (two pair, Aces and Twos) and WON $99.50 (+$49.50 NET)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      you might want to post a hand replayer link with your HU matches, HH's are a pain to read ^^
      GL on recovering
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      where do I find such a cool thing ?

edit: found the 2+2 thingy, looks pretty cool. Linking my post their to this topic.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      no idea :D I know 2p2 has one integrated, but you can surely find some on the interwebz
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      OK so this is not going well. I juts had one of my most frustrating session ever.
      Every freakin hand I had that was playable and that hit got owned by the river. I have actually never seen anything like that.
      Lost ~650$, don't even wanna bother posting the hands, I am so depressed, I am now a lifetime loser on fulltilt, fortunately the bonuses and my previous roll amount to 2280 or something, so I can still play. But this is so sick. Never ever had anything like that. The number of backdoor flush, trips, 2 pair, even 1pair that I ran into is something that is beyond me.
      I think I played some good poker, but just got hammered by the river.

Just an example, of a complete moron that took 2 of my stacks by backdooring flush. I manage to stack him back so now we are deep. He's just a complete idiot, never folding to any 3bet, like this hand shows:

Hero (BB): $134.95
      SB: $113.15

Pre-Flop: A:diamond: A:spade: dealt to Hero (BB)
      SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $6, SB calls $4.50

Flop: ($12) 6:spade: T:spade: J:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $9.50, SB calls $9.50

Turn: ($31) 2:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $26.50, SB raises to $97.65 and is All-In, Hero calls $71.15

River: ($226.30) T:heart: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $226.30 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
      Hero showed A:diamond: A:spade: (two pair, Aces and Tens) and LOST (-$113.15 NET)
      SB showed 7:spade: T:club: (three of a kind, Tens) and WON $225.80 (+$112.65 NET)

so for now no more HU as the variance is just too high. Even though opponents are soooooo bad, they can't lose if they always hit the best hand. I am gonna try and grind 6-max hardcore this weekend. If I can make 20buy-ins I'll consider myself happy.
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      something similar happened to me too this days . the problem is not the 1 or 2 bins you lose against backdoor flushes, trips etc. the problem is the other money that you lose because you are semitilting (even tough you think you arent)i sugest a stop loss in this situations 3 or 4 bi... not so good to donate money to donks. its clear that you didnt lost 13 bins just being backdored and outdrawn.tilt is certainly there
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Ouch - sessions like that are really harsh and demotivating especially while trying to follow the "road to recovery".

I hope you get through this slump with some sick heaters soon - if you are in fact playing good Poker it should happen sooner or later

Aside from that just follow the usual routine of continuing to actively work on your game - nothing you can do aside from that really :l

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      Originally posted by srohack
      something similar happened to me too this days . the problem is not the 1 or 2 bins you lose against backdoor flushes, trips etc. the problem is the other money that you lose because you are semitilting (even tough you think you arent)i sugest a stop loss in this situations 3 or 4 bi... not so good to donate money to donks. its clear that you didnt lost 13 bins just being backdored and outdrawn.tilt is certainly there
      actually, I can show you every hand if that's what you want. It's really been the sickest session I've ever had. I quit this donk after this hand, I stayed because he was so horrible I thought he would stop backdooring his way out of every big pot, and I almost made it but no.

I do not tilt anymore, I just don't care about the money, I treat it like blinds that allow me to play, not like my bank account. I will be receiving diplomas next year that will enable me to earn way more money than I could ever hope for by playing poker unless I make it to nosebleeds one day and even then it might not even be close, so its really not about the money, just I like to win in a game where I think I have a huge edge on my opponents.

Thanks soyCD, this is whaT I'm hoping for too.
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      so i lost big today again, but my last session was pretty nice. donks valuetowning themselves stopped sucking out which is sweet.

made 2 nice Ahigh calls
      won 3.5BI running half a BI under EV so pretty good result I would say.
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      ------------------
      HAND #1
      ------------------

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

BTN: $30.15
      SB: $16
      BB: $49.75
      UTG: $54.05
      MP: $50
      Hero (CO): $58.80

Pre-Flop: Q:diamond: Q:heart: dealt to Hero (CO)
      UTG folds, MP raises to $1.75, Hero calls $1.75, BTN folds, SB raises to $16 and is All-In, 2 folds, Hero calls $14.25

Flop: ($34.25) T:club: 6:heart: 6:diamond: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: ($34.25) K:diamond: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($34.25) T:diamond: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $34.25 Pot ($1.70 Rake)
      SB showed T:heart: T:spade: (four of a kind, Tens) and WON $32.55 (+$16.55 NET)
      Hero showed Q:diamond: Q:heart: (two pair, Queens and Tens) and LOST (-$16 NET)

------------------
      HAND #2
      ------------------

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

MP: $10.75
      Hero (CO): $119.40
      BTN: $116.75
      SB: $50
      BB: $50.90
      UTG: $50

Pre-Flop: 9:heart: 9:club: dealt to Hero (CO)
      UTG folds, MP raises to $1, Hero raises to $3.75, BTN folds, SB calls $3.50, BB calls $3.25, MP raises to $10.75 and is All-In, Hero calls $7, SB calls $7, BB calls $7

Flop: ($43) J:diamond: 9:diamond: T:diamond: (4 Players - 1 is All-In)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $43, SB folds, BB calls $40.15 and is All-In

Turn: ($123.30) 6:diamond: (3 Players - 2 are All-In)

River: ($123.30) 6:club: (3 Players - 2 are All-In)

Results: $123.30 Pot ($3 Rake)
      MP showed K:club: K:heart: (two pair, Kings and Sixes) and LOST (-$10.75 NET)
      Hero showed 9:heart: 9:club: (a full house, Nines full of Sixes) and LOST (-$50.90 NET)
      BB showed 6:spade: 6:heart: (four of a kind, Sixes) and WON $120.30 (+$69.40 NET)

up 3 bi being almost a bi under EV
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      Omg that is so sick... especially the sixes
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      so since that horrible sesh i've been playing with my bankroll, not in a very wise way. I played like 50 hands at nl400 and 4tabled nl200 for an hour.

The only thing i did thatwas smart is start to learn plo, and play 50plo, which seems very easy compared to 50nl (which already isn't that hard when you don't run 10BI below equity every 1K hand).

Anyway, I'm up 1K since I reached my lowest point so it's probably starting to turn around ( i did hold with JJ over 55 on a 346 board for a full stacked all in at 200nl, pretty sick iyam).

I'm gonna stick with 50plo till I build my roll back to 3.5K (including rakeback which will be kind of big this week since I played like 18K hands this weekend). And then I'm gonna try and crush 100nl.

roll is at 2.7K. I hope I can catch a swissmoumout-like heater.

A side (main :D ) goal is also to try and build a 1000BB stack at a 50plo table.
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hope variance in plo wont heat you cuz will be much brutal then in holdem
    • Talic
      Talic
      Bronze
      for the record.. my roll is 1400$, I have no time for poker right now, any other questions?

I'm nothing but done with Sonic's blog so you won't see me answering there

Rage against me because you are not able to understand the point, the poins that is better not to be tilting/be in bad psychic form in the first place rather than not play then you are. You don't solve the problem but the consequences.