Should I try a Limit game ?

• Nazzor
      Nazzor
      Bronze
      Umm after playing and losing, I can't see myself as winner with SSS at NL game. . I don't know why. . Even if I play robotic just following what charts says. . Once I get a good hole cards, i get re-raised, I'm all in (most of time) and other guy beats me with worse hole cards (mostly) sometimes I win, but that's rare. . .

At this moment my BR is 14.56 E (~23$) . .

I tried SSS on cash games (0.01/0.02 ; 0.02/0.04 ; 0.05/0.10), I tried S'n'G . .
      Overall I'm going down and I want to do something to try to get back. .

So what ya all think, should I try Limit ? Is it easier to earn money in early stages because lot with try to limp in (from my point of view) ?

Kind regards,
      -Nazzor
  • 4 replies
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      I wouldn't say limit is easier money but I will say that it is the best way to negate down swings. That's because you can get out of a hand without committing too much. That being said, limit is different from no limit. You can expect a lot of call down right to the river because its cheap to draw. You will need to learn how to build pots amd how to control the betting. Don't always raise with the nuts but check and then raise any bets. If you are drawing you can keep it cheap by checking and calling any bets.

Overall limit can be profitable and it's a lot less hectic than no limit.
    • Nazzor
      Nazzor
      Bronze
      Thank you buddy, I'll give a shot at Limit type and I'll let you know how I passed ;) . . .
      But yeah , that won't happen soon as I'm just starting to read Limit articles . .

Kind regards,
      -Nazzor
    • narazadd
      narazadd
      Bronze
      Hi Nazzor,

I think you made a common mistake while playing SSS: you thought you were following the strategy, but you were only following the charts. The reason I say this is because as far as I know it is impossible to buy-in for only 20 bb in 0.01/0.02 (=$0.40) or 0.02/0.04 (=$0.80). SSS is very profitable, but the chart is just a little part of the strategy. For me the most important factors are table selection (never sitting with more than 2 shortstackers or empty seats), and never playing with more than 25BB.

Limit is a very good kind of Hold'em, and can be very profitable and allows less downsings (as HennieP said). The strategies behind it are very different than No-Limit, though. So many factors are different: the implied odds, how much you can protect your hand, etc...
      You can definitely give it a try, but make sure you read all the articles, not only the starting hands chart!
      Good Luck!
    • Nazzor
      Nazzor
      Bronze
      Hey narazadd,

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate it. Well you might be right, but I knew from beginning that 20 x 0.04 = 0.80$ and that I can't sit in with that amount of money, but I was just testing new waters (strategy), before I stepped to 0.5/0.10$ limit on which I lost most of the money. (and I know I was wrong, as main point of SSS is to go All in, step on the gas and get most of money)

So yes I will try limit hold'em, it looks to me that if you can slowplay it really well with monster hands you can win some pretty amount of money for low limit, but again I don't know much about limit hold'em this is just by my logic.

Sadly as with anything new, (I already read once basic articles) this will take some time to grasp. It seems that there are a lot of situations where my next step is going to strictly depend on raises and re-raises before, so I'm not trying anything until I've read all articles many many times. I don't want to lose this money.

Kind regards,
      -Nazzor