Weekly Vote: Time Spent with Theory and Analysis

• Poll
    • How much time do you invest in working on your game in relation to the time you play?

For every ten hours I play: I invest between one and three hours in theory and analysis
        45%
        For every ten hours I play: I invest less than one hour in theory and analysis
        25%
        For every ten hours I play: I invest between three and five hours in theory and analysis
        19%
        For every ten hours I play: I invest between five and seven hours in theory and analysis
        8%
        For every ten hours I play: I invest between seven and nine hours in theory and analysis
        1%
        For every ten hours I play: I invest more than nine hours in theory and analysis
        1%
      Total: 77 Votes
    • tivaa
      tivaa
      Bronze
      Most successful poker players are made and not born. PokerStrategy provides a multifaceted guide to make you a winning player on the various poker types and levels. You have the choice between articles, videos, coaching sessions, poker hand analysis and many other features. Every day, PokerStrategy offers new releases and updates for free.

How much of your overall poker time do you invest in improving your game via theory and analysis?
  • 9 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I'm guessing this is how many hours a week?

I cant see it mentioned anywhere!

Roughly 5 hours a week. I need to do more, for the amount of time I play. I am however going to wade through all the SnG video's over the coming weeks!
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      I'm guessing this is how many hours a week?

I cant see it mentioned anywhere!

Roughly 5 hours a week. I need to do more, for the amount of time I play. I am however going to wade through all the SnG video's over the coming weeks!
      Poll: For every ten hours I spend with poker

:D :D :D :D :D ;)
    • punta
      punta
      Bronze
      I still think that playing is the VERY best way to learn - if you are losing money that hurts, so you learn a damn site quicker than reading Poker books and watching vids :) - watching live coaching stuff is VERY good though, as you can see how they played it to how you would of played it.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Ha Ha i'm dumb!!!!!!!!!! ok about 30minutes :D
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by punta
      I still think that playing is the VERY best way to learn - if you are losing money that hurts, so you learn a damn site quicker than reading Poker books and watching vids :) - watching live coaching stuff is VERY good though, as you can see how they played it to how you would of played it.
      Playing is a very good way to learn if you also analyse your game afterwards and try to find leaks and room for improvement.

There are people that have been playing for ages but are still fish :)

I think its all about finding a combination of all elements. Theory + analysis + play :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      For me, I constantly read boards like this one and 2+2 (the two main forums I read, although I post much more here. 2+2er's yell "Get a rope" when a short stack strategy player shows up. )

I also read a lot of books on theory and strategy.

At the end of my sessions, (at least sometime in the evening before bed, often after dinner) I sit down with my partner, and we "replay" every one of my winning, and losing hands. (Using PokerTracker).

While replaying the hands we discuss them, and see if I made any mistakes, or if we notice any trends from the people I often play against. I also notice if I played the hand well, and make notes on the hands.

On thing I've most definitely noticed is.. when I first started playing, and got bad beat, I'd get upset and wonder how I could be beat so badly, so often.

Now, I sometimes still complain about getting sucked out on (Right IRC Gang?) but.. honestly, I play the next hand as coolly as the previous one. I pretty much shrug it off as "oh well, that's part of the game".

Bad beats have like zero effect on my gameplay now. I lose a buy-in, then re-buy-in, and go on.

As I have discussed with my partner, I think this is something that would have taken me MUCH longer to develop, in live games. The reason being, in live games you just don't see nearly as many situations, in the same amount of time.

If you're playing online, you're already seeing way more hands (likely double or more) than you would on a live table. Then multiply that by the number of tables you play, and you just see so many more situations in a given space of time than you would with live play.

By the time you get a hundred thousand hands behind you, I'd think if you don't have tilt controlled, that's something that needs to be worked on.
    • colinsaces
      colinsaces
      Bronze
      Wow, nice post there Valek, as i have been suffering from bad beats from players who call you down to the river and out draw me even when i make the odds for them calling seem impossible.
      But now i realise that this will only happen occasionally and i will win more off such bad players in the future.

I tend to read alot of books on theory, but am strictly sticking to the SSS.
      Once i get to silver member i look forward to watching the new videos and coachings, and maybe putting some of the theory im learning into practice.
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      So far (in my very short poker career ;) ) I have found that after reading the strategy articles is good, after that the best way to improve is to practice, whether that be icm trainer or real play. I haven't posted any hands just yet but I think I might do and see how that goes.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      studying:playing - 1.5:1
      pays off in the long run)