possible end of the world in one more month

• 29 replies
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      I heard that playing online poker for 10h can create black hole in your monitor and that can suck in the rest of the world...

If serious - not worried. 1000x ways how this world can come to end in one day. If this is it - ok.. whatever.
    • mesorucky
      mesorucky
      Bronze
      Ah interesting been reading lots about the LHC :)

Seriously the guys building this have more data on it that we will ever know! I would even go as far as to suggest we've had help building it! The real reasons for building it are hidden for sure!

Also something that concerned me the other day was the american govt seeizing that money off bodog! I mean im a finance student and lately i've been studying up how the usa is going down the tubes big time! Makes me very worried that my currency is kept is US dollars! Im definately switching my BR to euro's soon and making regular withdraws. Im in australia so im not worried about this from a legal point of view. Anyways just wanted to let you guys know do your own reading and make sure you keep the majority of your rolls not in your poker online accounts :)

Apparantly silver is going to go nuts soon too buy some silver bars :)

A good place to start some further reading

http://www.projectcamelot.org
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      is this the BS about the LHC creating a black hole? this was invented by people who clearly have no understanding of the physics involved. They're colliding protons, ffs, how the hell can that create a black hole? >_< americans are dumb (yes, the lawsuit was initiated by americans)
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      The same collision what are made in LHC are happening thousands/millions time every time (since particles are coming from Sun or where ever and from some other star) since there hasn't been any blackholes in the sky it should be safe.

Also thanks to LHC project World Wide Web was made and now they are making some imrpoved version of http://WWW.

Anyway about the experiment scientists believe that they will get there main answer by the end of next year - so I'm looking forward to it.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      actually, CERN or whatever it's called already creates small black holes every time they do those experiments, but they are extremely small black holes that imediately disappear and are harmless.

some scientists, not sure which ones, say that experiments in the new facility in september could create a black hole that is big enough to sink down through the earth's crust into the center of the earth and slowly swallow the earth.

they think it is possibly, but extremely unlikely :)

I can't be bothered to watch the video.

on a side note, the experiment can't tell us where the universe came from.
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Heck, I wouldn't mind if Earth was swallowed up by a self-caused black hole. 99.99% of Earth's population isn't worth the oxygen they're wasting with every breath they take, so I say go for it! :tongue:
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      At least the French Swiss would go first.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      At least the French Swiss would go first.
      har har.

99.99% of Earth's population isn't worth the oxygen they're wasting with every breath they take, so I say go for it!
      must...resist...gaaaah head asplode
    • Skizzik
      Skizzik
      Bronze
      Originally posted by timukasr
      The same collision what are made in LHC are happening thousands/millions time every time (since particles are coming from Sun or where ever and from some other star) since there hasn't been any blackholes in the sky it should be safe.

Also thanks to LHC project World Wide Web was made and now they are making some imrpoved version of http://WWW.

Anyway about the experiment scientists believe that they will get there main answer by the end of next year - so I'm looking forward to it.
      where in the universe protons collide at a velocity of 99.9999% of the speed of light?
    • douglasjastewart
      douglasjastewart
      Bronze
      Kruppe is a little mistaken CERN at the RHIC never did create micro black holes it did make dense Quantum chromodynamic matter (stuff made out of quarks and gluons that move around freely). The maths look the same but their actual physicality is different.

Inside this QCD plasma you can have strange quarks and if you get enough strange quarks together you can make a strangelet. The fear is that if normal matter and this strange matter collide then the normal matter becomes strange and thus all matter is thus changed to strange matter.

This though may require the strangelet to be negatively charged.

It should be noted that strangelets are purely hypothetical and have not yet been proven to exist and this disaster idea requires other pieces of theoretical quantum mechanics to be proven correct and unknown values to be in certain ranges.

Personally I don't believe in strangelets, if they did exist then we would have seen some by now.

Great quantum mechanics, not a fun conversation but if you want to know a bit more feel free to ask and I'll try and call upon my limited knowledge of the subject.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I personally find this very interesting. It's just that I can't get myself to read a lot about it :(
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      i think its exiting news that theyre finally done. Cant wait to see the results.
    • douglasjastewart
      douglasjastewart
      Bronze
      The only thing of any interest that will come out of the LHC is whether or not there is a higgs boson and if there isn't then we'll need to decide upon a good higgless model. Mostly it's just going to weigh more quarks. I really doubt it's going to solve the bigger mysteries such as string theory, super symmetry, dark matter and energy or the cp-violation and baryon asymmetry.

Even if they don't find a higgs boson then they'll only build an even bigger one to try again and weigh more quarks.

It's all very dull and only quantum physicists should really care, it won't affect anyone else and won't even be a big deal to those involved.
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      And if this strange matter hits Chuck Norris? What would than happen?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      awful and passé jokes would ensue, apparently.
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      lol ur so classy
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by douglasjastewart
      The only thing of any interest that will come out of the LHC is whether or not there is a higgs boson and if there isn't then we'll need to decide upon a good higgless model. Mostly it's just going to weigh more quarks. I really doubt it's going to solve the bigger mysteries such as string theory, super symmetry, dark matter and energy or the cp-violation and baryon asymmetry.

Even if they don't find a higgs boson then they'll only build an even bigger one to try again and weigh more quarks.

It's all very dull and only quantum physicists should really care, it won't affect anyone else and won't even be a big deal to those involved.
      i think it's very interesting, and they wouldnt spend so much time on it just to test some random model.

I think it's not so vague or anything. This guy can explain how the hadron collider can prove some of the theory's you mentioned:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/brian_greene_on_string_theory.html
    • douglasjastewart
      douglasjastewart
      Bronze
      Well to be a real annoyance:

Chuck Norris like the rest of us has, if it exists been hit by strangelets already, but positive charged ones and so they can't strike the positively charged nucleus in his atoms and molecules. Now if Chuck Norris stood near the LHC when it created a strangelet and it was negatively charged as it hadn't had time to decay to the positive state then all the molecules in his body would be changed to heat and strange matter, like soon enough the rest of the world.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      dumbass question: strangelets = anti-matter? (sounds like it, from what i remember)