[NL2-NL10] NL2 A6o

• trzewia
      trzewia
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP2: $4.75 (237.5 bb)
      MP3: $5.35 (267.5 bb)
      CO: $3.95 (197.5 bb)
      BTN: $2 (100 bb)
      SB: $1.58 (79 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $4.10 (205 bb)
      MP1: $1.14 (57 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6 A
      UTG+2 raises to $0.04, 6 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, UTG+2 raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.41) K 4 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+2 checks

Turn: ($0.41) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+2 checks

River: ($0.41) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, UTG+2 folds

It's a homework hand :)

I deviated from the chart, because the minraiser had [40/29-vpip/pfr-100hands]
      It was only him and me. When I played I went on instinct, however later I checked my equity against his range and it was 57%, so I don't think it was wrong play. Called the second raise, cause it was small.

On flop I hit nothing and was OOP, so I checked

Same on turn

When river came I was pretty sure my ace was good, If he had a pair, he would have bet, and the board was dry. I could have value-bet lower now that I think about it.
  • 7 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Trzewia,

I'd probably fold this preflop. Hand is too weak to raise for value here especially vs an EP opener while out-of-position.

Flop and turn are fine. If you think your hand is good on the river there is not really any need to bet. It's extremely unlikely you will get called by queen high. If you knew for a certainty you had the best hand then check-calling would make you more money than betting. My preferred line on the river is probably just to check/fold though and hope to show-down your A-high.
    • trzewia
      trzewia
      Bronze
      I'm just now starting to use the equilab.

Doesn't it work that way? I had 57% equity against that guy, so isn't it profitable in long run to raise? Should I have had more equity? Or be in position to play like this? Or just be more experienced?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by trzewia
      I'm just now starting to use the equilab.

Doesn't it work that way? I had 57% equity against that guy, so isn't it profitable in long run to raise? Should I have had more equity? Or be in position to play like this? Or just be more experienced?
      It depends how you calculated equity vs is range.

Firstly it depends on his PFR from UTG. That will likely be less than 27% range because players open tighter from earlier positions.

The second important thing is that villain does not continue with all of his opening range when you raise. He folds some of it.

There is a decent chance you won't have 57% equity against that range. How did you calculate it?
    • trzewia
      trzewia
      Bronze

Firstly it depends on his PFR from UTG. That will likely be less than 27% range because players open tighter from earlier positions.

Silly me, didn't think of that
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hmmm...

That's an 11% range. It is also a range that doesn't make much sense. I think there is a possibility that you are not using the equilab in the right way.

For example why would he have 44 but no other pocket-pair? Why would he have K4s but not KQs?
    • trzewia
      trzewia
      Bronze
      You are right, I didn't even look at the range given by the Equilab, I just entered "hand range selection" and entered vpip of 40 and pfr of 29, that's the range it gave me. To get the whole range I needed to set pfr to 0. And now my equity shrinked to 48%

Maaaan I'm confused, I think I will just wait for the appropriate lesson in begginer's course on how to use equilab.

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Without going into too much detail - don't use the PFR box for now.

Just type in what you think the PFR is into the VPIP box instead and leave the PFR box at zero.

To create the most accurate ranges you will want to add hands by clicking on their boxes yourself until it reaches the desired % of hands