This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

How many chips to be ITM?

• hyppolito
      hyppolito
      Bronze
      Guys,

Is there any estimation or a calculation that we can figure out how many chips we need to be in the money on a tourney? Maybe a relation between all chips on the field x Players that started x Amount on the money, or something like that...

Cheers,

Thiago
  • 3 replies
    • CatchGamer
      CatchGamer
      Bronze
      Example: If it is 180 players and 18 paid places, if all start with 1500 chips...

180 x 1500 = 270 000/18 = 15 000...

So when u are in the money there will be a average chips stack of 15 000, so you can surely be ITM if u can hold on to about half of that...
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hyppolito
      Guys,

Is there any estimation or a calculation that we can figure out how many chips we need to be in the money on a tourney? Maybe a relation between all chips on the field x Players that started x Amount on the money, or something like that...

Cheers,

Thiago
      For MTT I wouldn't put anything into trying to make it ITM because the payout simply sucks. It's usually something like double your buy-in. I'd focus on coming into the final table with a 15+BB stack, and working from there.

For SNG, no. No such calculation exists. But usually speaking you can make it ITM with your starting stack.
    • hyppolito
      hyppolito
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      For MTT I wouldn't put anything into trying to make it ITM because the payout simply sucks. It's usually something like double your buy-in. I'd focus on coming into the final table with a 15+BB stack, and working from there.

For SNG, no. No such calculation exists. But usually speaking you can make it ITM with your starting stack.
      There is a moment on the MTT, specialy when there is the double the amount of players that will cash, that I start to be Ultra Tight. If I have a reasonable stack, I'm afraid to call an All-In of a same stack player with, for example, AK. I can see that I just play when it's free on BB.

I need to find out when I should start pushing, to steal more or to bet on the flop heads up, trying to make a marginal hand fold.

Thiago