How many chips to be ITM?

• hyppolito
      hyppolito
      Bronze
      Guys,

Is there any estimation or a calculation that we can figure out how many chips we need to be in the money on a tourney? Maybe a relation between all chips on the field x Players that started x Amount on the money, or something like that...

Cheers,

Thiago
  • 3 replies
    • CatchGamer
      CatchGamer
      Bronze
      Example: If it is 180 players and 18 paid places, if all start with 1500 chips...

180 x 1500 = 270 000/18 = 15 000...

So when u are in the money there will be a average chips stack of 15 000, so you can surely be ITM if u can hold on to about half of that...
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hyppolito
      Guys,

Is there any estimation or a calculation that we can figure out how many chips we need to be in the money on a tourney? Maybe a relation between all chips on the field x Players that started x Amount on the money, or something like that...

Cheers,

Thiago
      For MTT I wouldn't put anything into trying to make it ITM because the payout simply sucks. It's usually something like double your buy-in. I'd focus on coming into the final table with a 15+BB stack, and working from there.

For SNG, no. No such calculation exists. But usually speaking you can make it ITM with your starting stack.
    • hyppolito
      hyppolito
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      For MTT I wouldn't put anything into trying to make it ITM because the payout simply sucks. It's usually something like double your buy-in. I'd focus on coming into the final table with a 15+BB stack, and working from there.

For SNG, no. No such calculation exists. But usually speaking you can make it ITM with your starting stack.
      There is a moment on the MTT, specialy when there is the double the amount of players that will cash, that I start to be Ultra Tight. If I have a reasonable stack, I'm afraid to call an All-In of a same stack player with, for example, AK. I can see that I just play when it's free on BB.

I need to find out when I should start pushing, to steal more or to bet on the flop heads up, trying to make a marginal hand fold.

Thiago