Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $18.05
      MP3:
      $81.78

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:diamond: , A:heart:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2.00, 4 folds.

Flop: ($4.75) A:spade: , K:club: , 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, MP3 calls $3.50.

Turn: ($11.75) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $9.00, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: $20.75

Is it possible for me to play different on the turn for value?
  • 9 replies
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      u can definitely check trun and give him the opportunity to try and take the pot.
      c\r would be to obv.therefor c\call i think would be the best.
      anyway didnt seems like u where going to take a lot of money from him but betting 2nd time on turn is maybe to strong here
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Your stack size is ugly. Buy in full if you wanna play BSS, buy in for 10$ if wanna play SSS. 18$ stack in NL50 is bad as you get both drawbacks of SSS and BSS yet dont get any real gain.
    • nttflox
      nttflox
      Bronze
      Oh boy, how people like flaming. Have you considered he just doubled up?
      Of course not.
      Regarding your question Jonatan, you could check to give him the chance to do something stupid or bet smallish like 3-4 $ with the same purpose.
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nttflox
      Oh boy, how people like flaming. Have you considered he just doubled up?
      Of course not.
      You, sir, are dumb and the one who is flaming here. Please enlighten me and tell me where you see flaming in my previous post.

Do you disagree with me and think that his stack size is good and perfectly suited for playing poker? Which strategy would you use there then - SSS or BSS?

And yes i know he could of just doubled up. That doesnt change the fact that his stack size is bad. As a shortstack player he should have left table if he plays according to strategy. In my mind the way how you get to mid stack is completely irrelevant - be it a doubling up, loosing half your stack or just buying in directly. result is all the same - you have half stack which has drawbacks.

Anyway, whatever - all of you can play as you want, not my damn problem. And what the hell is wrong with you people? Have learnt not to give psychology and BRM tips any more, because ppl find that offensive. Now you see this post as flame.. k, fine with me. From now on i will not post any tips. If you dont want to be suggested any ideas or tips, then i wont.
    • JonatanW
      JonatanW
      Bronze
      Jesus christ, thank you for your kind advice, BUT I had just doubled up in 1 or 2 hands before. Maybe you should leave the answering to more experienced players.
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      yo Jhonatan are u satisfied with one of the replies that u get?
      if so than there's nothing to say furthermore, since this turn into spam.
    • xxxdannyxxx
      xxxdannyxxx
      Bronze
      grimzor as a short stack player if you double up you wait till you arrive to pay the blinds then you leave table.if you leave before you are losing some free plays
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      Hi JonatanW,

since you have the stone-cold nuts on the turn, you can deviate from the standard line and check the turn for bluff induce. While playing basic sss you shouldn't often deviate from the standard lines, but with a middle pair in this spot you would play check fold, so a check here is fine. When he checks the turn behind, just bet the river something like 7$. So in general you should only deviate from the standard line, when you have a really strong hand. Something like a straight, 2 pair or set and there aren't many draws that can harm you. So like in this spot there aren't many hands that would pay you off since he cant have an ace. So when you have a really strong hand, you should look at the board and consider which hands can pay you off when you bet the turn again. So in general we could say it's not often possible to deviate from the standard lines but sometimes necessary to achieve a higher value.

Best Regards

Ysessa
    • ThiRdEyE7
      ThiRdEyE7
      Bronze
      Am I the only one who thinks this is a ridiculous hand to discuss!??

I've only recently started reading posts and this is my first time posting, although i have been playing for a few years.

I don't want to hate on a player but c'mon man...

Check the turn!! You're holding the bolts - what are u doing? Let him hit something that allows him to think he might have the best hand. On that flop what is he caling with? 9 times out of 10 its a K. So only a total donk will call your second barrel after a pre-flop raise when the A repeats on the turn. This is bet shows way too much strength.

If he did smooth call your flop lead with a set he will definitely give you action when the turn A fills him up - let him bet.

Also by checking there is a chance he will think you made a standard c-bet on the flop and are now scared by his call and the A repeating and have therfore shut down. This will induce a bluff often enough to make checking the best play here.

Depending on the opponent, I would even rarely consider checking the river as well and increasing your chances of inducing a bet/bluff. But that said with your very short stack in this example I would shove the river hoping to appear desperate/bluffing.

I sincerely hope you weren't concerned by the gutshot royal draw opening up on the turn lol....