Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $17.39
      Hero:
      $10.65

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9:spade: , K:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, SB calls $1.75, BB folds.

Flop: ($4.50) K:club: , 3:club: , T:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.00, SB raises to $15.39 (All-In), Hero raises to $8.65 (All-In).

Turn: ($28.54) Q:spade:
      River: ($28.54) 5:heart:

Final Pot: $28.54

This is back when i raised 4BB on BU. Now i raise 3.5 from CO 3 from BU and I'm unsure what to raise from SB.

I thought of two options for my SB raises;

1) Steal far less from SB and raise 4BB + 1BB per limper + 1BB for being OOP

Reason; To help keep my steal stat from going too high and letting me get restolen more / More value out of better hands.

Also wondering whether on higher limits if I'll mostly have to choose between restealing here or folding... of course i don't know if thats gonna be the case.

or

2) Steal a bit less from SB and raise 3BB + 1BB per limper + 1BB for being OOP.

Reason; Well, i quite like stealing. Means i don't have to rebuy so much heh.

Thoughts guys?
  • 4 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Since you are stealing on CO/BTn, your ATS would be like 15. Anyways I would go for the first one because you are OOP Postflop whenever BB calls you down. Also it looks more suspicious when you steal from SB over and over again.

Concerning your played hand, did the BB had BBvsSteal 100%?
      Postflop with TPMK,
      You have to have 30% EQ so I would shove it as well.
    • JonatanW
      JonatanW
      Bronze
      I steal with any hand from SB and BU unless certain reads tells me differently. I steal with a lot more caution from CO and only steal with Ax (preferably suited), low pockets and also sometimes any two T+ cards. If I sense that I get re-raised when stealing a bit too often I simply tighten up at that table and look for an oppurtunity to be all in pf against this loose re-stealer. I wouldnt be worried about a high ATS, just stop stealing at tables that play you back, and a lot of times it will give you a better payment when you open-raise your premium hands.

Remember that steals from SB is as profitable as steals from BU or CO since your posted SB is part of the pot, also if you raise to 3BB you only have to pay an extra 2.5BB to win 1.5BB which means you will be +ev if you succeed with the steal only 65% of the time. I often also steal any two when I've posted blind from CO since its costs me 2.5BB to win 2.5BB meaning I only have to be successful 50% of the time for it to be +ev.

About ordinary raising I raise 3.5BB + 1BB / limper from all positions except SB and BU where I raise 3BB. Also I push directly if I face 4+ limpers or if im forced to push the flop regardless.

Also I usually don't cbet the flop after being caught stealing unless I get a decent piece of the flop and its checked to me (mid pair+ on non-scary board).

This has worked very well on NL100 and so far been doing good on NL200 as well. Forgive me if I messed some of the maths up :O
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      Hi daphunk,

To the hand, tpmk no way to let it go sb looks a little bit fishy so nice hand.

About stealing it depends on your post flop skills, on higher limits you can also consider raising opponent based which I do.

So as an example

Hero SB

Villain 1: 85 Fbbs 3bb raise nearly any2 like 70%
      Villain 2: 65 fbbs 4bb raise only value steals like broadways pairs etc some pushing as well with hands like a2 which play horrible oop
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Sweet, cheers ysessa. Never thought about doing it opponent based before!

Do you have any simple guidelines for making restealing a bit simpler also? I sometimes don't have enough time to look at the resteal chart if i'm multitabling to make sure my move is correct.

I often don't resteal because on a lot of opponents i have <800 hands on and i just aproximate like 25 ATS = resteal ATo and 77+ and 55 or 60 is like any or almost all aces and 44+