Weekly Poll: How do you cope with tilt?

• Poll
    • How do you cope with tilt?

I scream, curse and break something...I simply go on life tilt.
        25%
        I smash the keyboard and go on playing.
        19%
        I watch TV or browse the web.
        15%
        I read articles, post sample hands or watch poker videos.
        13%
        I go out with friends and drink some beer.
        10%
        I never tilt!
        8%
        I talk to other poker players.
        6%
        I do some some sport.
        5%
        I write in the downswing report forum.
        0%
      Total: 102 Votes
  • 27 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I dont tilt due to poker anymore (maybe a tiny amount), but bad software and life issues put me on tilt alot. I have been known to break things that are near to me :/

All our computers have a wireless mouse, as my brother throws them about alot.
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      I really don't tilt anymore either. When I started, it would drive me crazy to see people beat me with the kinds of hands they play against my quality hands.

Then I would sometimes exclaim out loud "What the hell.. how can he call my raises with that crap!?" and I'd get frustrated... it could even affect the way I played. To have the best hand all the way to the river, and then some idiot hits his 1 card flush on the river... used to really annoy me.

I've written before about how I think that online poker has helped me get over that. Due to the fact that we see so many more hands in less time than in live poker, multiplied by the number of tables you play, now I feel like I've seen it all.

This is probably the area I've improved in the most, actually. Once you've played enough hands (I don't know what number I would put 'enough' at)... it seems to me like, if you don't realize, and can't handle that the best hands can be beaten... poker may not be for you.

Now, the most I might do is roll my eyes, or sometimes I even laugh out loud when I see the cards that someone flips up. But, as part of my table selection, I actually keep track of, and hunt down these really loose players, and sit down and continue to play with them. I am a stalker!

Some days just go bad no matter what you do. This past monday, I was getting great cards... but they kept getting beat by the river. Set over sets, straights flushed away, full houses beat by higher full houses. But when I reviewed my session later that evening, I verified that given the same circumstances, I'd have played the same hands the same way. I wasn't playing badly, I was just getting beat. On the flop I always had the best hand (sometimes the nuts) and by the river the money was being pushed to my opponent. It happens.

I ended up 8 BI down on that day. Kinda sucked, since I was getting so many quality hands, but.. what can you do. It didn't bother me at all, since I knew I played well.

Made it back yesterday though, and this month has been my best month yet.
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      like Velak I feel that this is the area that I improved the most in. I try to take the bad beats as something regular and just move on (as I said I try, because it doesnt always happen - sometimes I loose my temper, but just for couple of seconds)
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I whine a lot and pretend that people give a damn.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      I am just on tilt :D I am f**cking mad pissed of i would say and in my head is boiling like hell i am sure atm is at least 38 celsius :(

Just feeling like crap so now is time for therapy which this time will be owning pros on dota :D And than later i hope i'll do well in PS league ;) Enjoy i fell much better already (needed whole 15min :( )
    • Kivisaba
      Kivisaba
      Bronze
      i scream and shout and when i see that it starts effecting my decision making then simply quit playing
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      I make some steal re-raises and folds to shove. Then I quit playing, turns on some music and read the newspaper.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      i just stop playing if i notice i'm tilting, or start playing low buyin sit n gos.
    • riv3rd4ncer
      riv3rd4ncer
      Bronze
      i never tilt because of a bad beat or suckout.
      i just think about all the money those donks are going to make me in the long run and continue my game, patiently waiting to take my revenge.

i do notice that while being card dead for a long time, or on a table with a lot of fish, sometimes i lose my patience and start playing much looser, making stupid calls and reraises.
      don't know if that qualifies as tilt, i'd call it boredom, but the end result is often the same anyway.
      so when i get bored or feel i don't have the patience to play good tag poker, i take a break...
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Sometimes ill curse and whinge alittle bit.

I feel if I do these things I become a better player. ;)
      ****** donk.
      Wtf?
      arggggggggggggg.
      Are you kidding?
      Kick a hole through the wall.
      Bash someone walking past the house.
      :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      I jump out my 3rd floor window. But I only tilt when I get 300BB+ downers, not that often, but I'm a regular at the emergency room^^

PS: Just got one, so hop hop I gooooooooooooo, aaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      i punch my desk and go on playing. But that's mostly when I made a good read that urns out to be wrong because my TAG-ish opponent is actually a brain-dead moron, and yes 65o is in his call-3-bet range. other than that i don't really tilt, certainly not about downswings.
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      After my huge Downswing nothing can shock me anymore =)
      But I used to shout at my monitor xD
    • anstaendig
      anstaendig
      Bronze
      I don't know why but since I played so many hands I've seen everything so far and nothing can tilt me anymore...
    • Urbanen
      Urbanen
      Bronze
      I generally dont tilt, although after a row of bad beats im generally heading towards tilt, but i can handle most situations.

A coffee and a biscuit sorts me ;) .
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      I watch TV or browse the web.

But mainly I just chill out and do something different, go on icm trainer for a bit.

After all "shit happens!"
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      I whine on IRC :) Perhaps should forbid that... want to stop telling every beat i get but temptation is too big, too much pressure, cant stop :D Recently doing it less as i play on other computer than irc. Oh and also i sometimes yell something loudly.

Then to fix - badger badger badger ... mushrooom and there we go again.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      I have only really tilted once - I stormed outside, picked up a spade and turned the back lawn into a huge vegetable garden. The wife is happy about that
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      i try to rationalise things, check my play and if i got donked out realise that the guy will give me back a lot more than he takes from me. If the opposition play was really terrible, i put him on my buddy list so i can find him at a later date, after all, the odds are on my side against him.

Other than that, trolling the forums always helps to calm me down as well