What is your #1 poker mindset issue?

• Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

I'm curious - what is the #1 poker mindset issue that you are experiencing right now? Is it that you're wasting too much time on the internet, procrastinating all the time, getting angry because fish are sucking out on you, or is it maybe hard for you to keep playing to win some money?

Erik and I will be making some new videos in the near future and we'd love to create content that's actually focused on you guys, that's why it would mean the world to us if you could give us some insights into what you're struggling with the most :) .

-Primoz
  • 24 replies
    • aikira
      aikira
      Bronze
      for me it isstill and always will be the procrastinating. i got a lot better with it but its always a small war i have to fight.
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      First of all, thank you for all the content you've made, they have helped me a lot! :heart: (no homo) :f_biggrin:

My biggest issue at the moment is that I can't play many hours in a day even if I would like to, because I have these bad thoughts in my head that are questioning my ability to make money at the tables. I always feel that I have to play my very best everytime and I can't make mistakes, because mistakes will make my winrate lower. Everytime I have a longer period where I lose money, these bad thoughts come to my head. I don't really care about losing flips or something obvious like that, I'm just stressed about some river call whether it was good or bad or some situations like that. I basically stress quite a lot at the tables. How to be more relaxed? Another problem is that the results of a session affects too much to my current mood and happiness level: when I get a winning session, I'm super excited, confident and happy, but when I get a losing session, I'm questioning my ability to make money, I'm less confident, I'm upset and I keep worrying about the "bad" session. I think I need some kind of guidance that would help me to be constantly happy and confident no matter how the session went.
    • thisrockz
      thisrockz
      Bronze
      procrastination + getting angry, when I get a runout or get owned by an obv weaker player
    • Zebbu
      Zebbu
      Black
      1) Starting to play very nitty and wanting to quit and book a winning session when I'm up, and 2) being completely unable to quit when I'm down even though I know I'm not playing good.
    • nicogallina
      nicogallina
      Bronze
      it's probably fear of failure for me
    • MantafahrerXY
      MantafahrerXY
      Bronze
      Not enough energy to do everything with a 100% attitude.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Forgetting that an action I have taken will be profitable in the long run, simply on the basis that it wasn't profitable at the time of doing it.
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      #not able to stop getting suckered in these self-help bulls** , always curious about what the guy says to get more money off people.
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      not putting enough time into poker study.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Lol. I'm an absolute basket case because I believe I have 3 major mindset problems.

1) - Concentration - Not being able to stay focussed for long periods.

2) - Motivation - The longer the session time I plan, the harder it is for me to get started.

3) - Discipline - The strength and wherewithal to continue to play my A game under pressure.

Inevitably a failure in one of these points cascades through the rest and everything starts to unravel.

The good news is that I recognise these failings and continue to improve in these areas.

However SF, I reckon you could make a whole series of videos just about addressing those 3 points. They are the bane of many a micro/low stakes player.

Cheers

Laz
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Originally posted by Zebbu
      1) Starting to play very nitty and wanting to quit and book a winning session when I'm up, and 2) being completely unable to quit when I'm down even though I know I'm not playing good.
      This ^.

I have a problem where I am up like 5-6-7 BI's in a session and then I tell my self I should stop right now while winning with the good mood, then I lose a stack and I try to win it back which causes other mistakes occurring.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hmm I have 2 but I almost completely fixed one.

1) Looking at graph while playing (worked on this and doing ok but sometimes have a moment of weakness)

2) He's bluffing :facepalm: I just want to win every pot which is just stupid :facepalm:
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      When I am playing well, I sometimes get carried away and then overplay a few hands, spewed a few stacks that way.
    • DrRaab
      DrRaab
      Bronze
      My main one is reflecting too much on a hand that i've played during a session. Wondering could i have got more value here or could i have folded the turn instead. Sometimes i have to stop my session and either go to equilab, tell somone else about it to get their opinion on it or just put it in for hand evaluation.

I've also noticed that when my session is in the green i do nit up a bit!
    • aikira
      aikira
      Bronze
      quitting an opponent.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Those are some AMAZING insights guys, thank you so much! Erik and I will most likely be doing a webinar within the December boot camp. We'll use it to address your issues from here, so keep them coming!
    • Swish29
      Swish29
      Bronze
      At the moment I'm struggling with what I'd call 'mental disconnections'; say I bet for thin value the turn, get raised, and if I'd see the hand on a forum I'd go tell the guy 'hey, it's not the top of your range, you're readless and in general people don't raise often enough so that you can bet/call here etc.'. But in-game, I'll just 'disconnect' and within 2 seconds I'll find enough backdoor combos of anything or think he'll turn hands into a bluff, so I'll call the turn and call the river again, to lose 100bb whereas I'd have lost 15-18 had I folded the turn.
    • razvanmusa
      razvanmusa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mesisification
      Another problem is that the results of a session affects too much to my current mood and happiness level: when I get a winning session, I'm super excited, confident and happy, but when I get a losing session, I'm questioning my ability to make money, I'm less confident, I'm upset and I keep worrying about the "bad" session. I think I need some kind of guidance that would help me to be constantly happy and confident no matter how the session went.
      +1
      This is the biggest problem for me.
      I've already tried to check my BR after a few sessions but in my subconscious I know that I've just had a losing session, and it affects me. I want to be able to play poker without being so result oriented and without being affected by the result of any session (losing or winning one)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I'm a non-believer micro stakes player. As in; "All in, as you serious!?...but there's only one hand beats me, I ca...!" Fuuu!

Just can't help myself and it's become a habit now after years of doing it.