Rebuy tourneys

• Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Some general information about rebuy tourneys :
      - We will always take our start rebuy since we have an edge against our
      opponents and will double up much more often than loose
      - If we go broke we will always take a double rebuy (explanation see above)
      - We will nearly always take the add-on because we will get 500 chips more for the same price compared to our starting stack
      - If we raise preflop we will raise to 4BB because our opponents will call us anyways so we can build bigger pots with big hands
      - It’s helpful to double up during the first hours of the tourney. That way we will be able to win more from our opponents later on.
      - I would never leave a rebuy tourney during the first hour. If you feel uncomfortable you should play tourneys with lower buy-ins
      - If we managed to build up a big stack during the first hour (>6k) we can slow down a little bit and wait for good spots with good implied odds against other big stacks.

1. Tag-Style
      You should stick to ABC-poker and try to get your money in with big hands. It’s important to watch your opponents and to find out which of them is willing to pay a lot of chips to see a showdown. It’s very profitable to play against such opponents. The biggest advantage is that you can survive the rebuy phase very cheap. But the disadvantage is that we won’t get much action on our big hands and therefore will most likely not be chipleader after the first phase

2. Lag-Style
      As the name suggests: we are playing loose. We raise with many hands and call a lot with hands like T9o, 45s etc., or we limp such hands. At the flop we often semibluff. The Advantage is that our good hands will get paid of very often. You can also try to slowplay AA an then check/raise the flop because our opponents won’t think that we have a good hand very often. And most of the time you will be able to double up during the first hour of the tournament. The disadvantage is that you have to invest more in order to achieve the goal. Calcuate to have to pay 5-6 rebuys most of the times.

3. The rebuy-maniac
      Goal of this strategy is to be seen as a fish. For example push 92o from late and then show the hand or 3-bet with trash and show the hand as well. But you should pick spots where it is unlikely that you will get a call. The advantage is that you get paid of very often with your good hands, preflop as well as postflop. Another advantage is that often you will be chipleader after the first hour. But this strategy can easily cost you like 13-14 rebuys.

Original Thread: http://de.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=316576
  • 11 replies
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      excellent, just what i was looking for right now

i added on.

wish me luck

a minute later: i lost 90% of my stack in the first post rebuy hand with 9 set (99 in the hole) against QQQ
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      I moved the thread to the MTT section. Dunno why it was still in the SNG discussion forum.

Happy new year,
      Chiller3k
    • AllinStefk
      AllinStefk
      Bronze
      excellent advice...and its bookmarked :-)
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      too many people using this in PStars 180$ rebuy SNGs :f_cry: they are really tough now...
      In the good news - prize pool is almost always over 1k usd w00t!
    • SirPaulius
      SirPaulius
      Bronze
      what BRM i need for 3.30+r tourneys ? smth like 200 BI ($600) right ?
    • CALLIBAN
      CALLIBAN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SirPaulius

I look to a 3.30+r tourney as it was a buy in of $10, 'cause that will be the minimum spent: 1 rebuy (the minimum!!!) + 1 add-on.

So, If I am only playing 1% of my bankroll in MTT ( I do it...) I'll need to have $1000 to play in that tournament. And that's the minimum, because I know most of the times I will have to do more that one rebuy...
      :s_cool:
    • SirPaulius
      SirPaulius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CALLIBAN

I look to a 3.30+r tourney as it was a buy in of $10, 'cause that will be the minimum spent: 1 rebuy (the minimum!!!) + 1 add-on.

So, If I am only playing 1% of my bankroll in MTT ( I do it...) I'll need to have $1000 to play in that tournament. And that's the minimum, because I know most of the times I will have to do more that one rebuy...
      :s_cool:
      thx for answer, still have things to do in 2.20 180 :)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Since this is a translation of a thread by FireFox89 I will translate his latest update (posted one year ago) and afterwards request to remove the sticky and close the thread:

The thread is nearly 3 years old and I would like to ask you to delete it or at least close it. Online tournament poker changes every few months and at this point I do not support all of the concepts that I initially wrote down in my guide. Since I am sure that some beginners are still guided by these concepts, I don't want to spread words about things that I don't do anymore. I hope you understand this ;)

Source: Klick

There might be a small chance of a new guide by firefox in the future. If it is posted in the german forums I will translate it and open up a new thread for it.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      thanks for the update sir. :)
      sticky removed. we can probably leave it open so people can add their thoughts if they want :)

regards.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      no the average buyin for a 3.30rebuy is 11$ not 3.30 so thats only 54 buyins and Ive lost 600 in a session many times
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      @purplefizz: Imo it would be better if people would open up a new thread if they have questions about rebuys since this one is very overloaded and most of it outdated. Therefore I would recommend to close it (and accept the wishes of the creator Firefox).

@Sirpaulius & Targetme: The average Buyin to rebuy tournaments can not be the answer to BRM questions imo. In every rebuy tournament there are many players who don't even rebuy once. A normal player should at least expect 5 buyins (initial buyin, initial rebuy, one double rebuy + addon), better 7 (for an additional double rebuy) for a rebuy tournament.
      Talking about a 3.3$+R this would lead to a total buyin of 15.3$ or 21.3$. If you experience that you need less buyins on average, you can discount the number of Buyins you need for a rebuy tournament.

For 180men I would recommend 150 Buyins (absolute minimum). For mass MTT's even 250 or more. In the end your bankroll should be at 2,3k$ or more to be able to play 3.3$+R 180men.

Regards,
      Asaban