This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

ICM From Hell: Feedback to the Quiz

• 7 replies
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      Do not make stupid moves on bubble ffs :D
    • riv3rd4ncer
      riv3rd4ncer
      Bronze
      i did terrible lol. 7/22

although i didn't see it at the time, i can understand now why i should fold AQs knowing he's pushing any 2. even though it's much more likely i win the hand and end up with 75% of all the chips, it's still not worth the risk at that time.
      what i don't understand is how later on, a call with A9o against a range of 37% is worth the risk?
      both cases if you lose you're out before the money. 1st case chance of losing is much smaller and reward seems bigger.
      i know it's all about ICM and the answers are in the numbers, so i'm not really expecting any answers besides to look for them there.
      i'm going to familiarize myself a bit better with the concept, because right now, it's hard for me to see the logic in certain situations.
      in the meantime, i will follow the advice to do the exact opposite of what my instincts tell me ;)

one more question. 2nd situation. if he would just have raised instead, a push with our AQs would have been the right response, right?
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      In this case, we know that the opposing player is on monkey tilt right now and will call with any two cards.
      Blinds: 400/800
      Hero: 14445
      BB: 5555

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q2o
      Hero?
      Test said we should push but against random cards (villain calls any card) Q2o is not ahead (47 against 53) so I dont see how this call is justified.
    • Sharp80
      Sharp80
      Bronze
      Nice quiz btw, although I had a terrible result:)

I gave the answers based on what I should do in that particular situation and it seems a bit different comparing what I should do according to ICM... :D

Still it could be interesting to discuss some points.

My score was terrible, I had 11 out of 22 and this was the comment:

If you weren't deliberately trying to mess up, you have two choices:

No, I didn't messed up deliberately :D

With problem 4 I noticed that I drunk to less coffee this morning. :D

Problem 5 should be a push, but I would definately fold here. After passing the blinds I still would have a stack of 3800 chips, say a bit more then 6BB. This means I still would have fold equity.
      If I would have a stack of about 5BB (3K) before passing the blinds then I would have pushed here, because I would lose a lot of fold equity after passing te blinds.
      So I don't really get it why I should push in this example.

Problem 6 is difficult for me. BU would shove here with a range of 37% according to Nash, but do they really push this range here? I personally think this is a very loose range. If the range would be 27% or less then it would be a fold and I think this would be more realistic actually.

Problem 7 would be also a fold for me altough it is plus EV to push here. If I know that villain calls with ATC then I would definately wait for a better spot here.

Problem 8 is about the same for me as problem 5. With a slightly smaller stack I would push first in, but now I still would have 5BB after passing the blinds. I think I can wait for a better spot with still having fold equity.

What do you think about these points?
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      I scored 0 :D . But in real play final table 1-4 opponents i win 95% of hands.
    • maoiste
      maoiste
      Bronze
      I really liked the quiz. I scored 13 points btw.

Keep up the good work and thanks.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      This quiz is true example why i play low limits :D On low limits some of suggested decisions would totally backfire :D