BSS Coaching for Beginner

• TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      I am looking to make a switch from SSS to BSS FR and looking at the coaching for BSS they all seem to relate to SH. Are they still valuable to take even if i will be starting with NL5 FR.

Any other advice etc. about starting BSS will be greatfully recieved as well guys/girls.
  • 9 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi TheBu11d0g,

I can spot about 15 videos available for bronze members, so as your silver there is alot of video's you can watch here.

In terms of coachings there is a NL BSS public private coaching. This is scheduled for 21:00 on Thursdays, and is hosted by hasenbraten, who is a great coach. He would be happy to answer your questions as the game is played.

If you speak to hasenbraten prior to the coaching, you can be the player who plays. Then hasenbraten can tell you what your mistakes are as you play. Hasenbratens thread may be of use to you - BSS Public Private Coaching by Hasenbraten

Also the hand evaluation coachings are held at 16:00 PokerStrategy time, on Mondays. The thread to post your hands in this week is here.

I will give your feedback directly to an admin aswell, as their has been alot of interest for BSS FR coachings in previous weeks. I dont think visiting a SH coaching is the best idea tbh. The game plays with alot different aggression post flop imo, but i'm a SnG player, so maybe other people think otherwise. Any comments guys?

Hope this helps, thx for the feedback,
      Stiev
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hi ya Cannell, thanks for the reply.

I'm gonna concentrate on reading the bronze articles and watch the bronze videos for starters so that i can get the basic knowledge of playing BSS before venturing on to the tables.

As for Hasenbraten public private coaching, i think he would be pointing out a mistake every 5 mins if i asked him to watch me at the mo :D , but will definiately consider it. I will also take note of the Hand Evaluation coaching as well.

Thank you for passing on the request about BSS FR coaching for me to the admins as i think it would be a worthwhile coaching to do as like you say, the BSS SH coaching isn't geared towards us beginning BSS FR'ers :D .

Regards, Steve
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi,

Hasenbraten will actually tell you what to do if you ask him before the session, rather than pointing out mistakes. I think he runs team viewer, so he can see your cards.

He struggles to get volunteers, and its a great way to get private coaching for free. As private coachings are quite expensive in general. Definaitly worth a try as soon as you can.

Best regards,
      Stiev
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      That sounds a good idea, i.e. telling me what to do as i could learn by doing then, if that makes sense :D . Its definately something worth considering though.

Regards, Steve
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Another question i have is that according to the BSS bankroll managemnt article it suggests you should start at 0.02/0.04 (NL5) with a buy-in of $5 which should be the max buy-in allowed for that table im guessing but with PokerStars the max buy-in allowed is $10, so does that mean i have to start on 0.01/0.02 to have the maximum buy-in of $5.

Regards, Steve
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      dunno about that last question, I think it would be ok to buy in to a NL5 table for $5 even if max buyin is higher. The amount you buy in for still matters, but mathematically it doesnt impact the game as much as it does with SSS.

I recently switched from SSS to BSS myself, here are a couple of important things to keep in mind:

- read the BRM article, then add 20 or 30% to it. When you learn BSS properly you can follow the BRM guidelines here, but when you begin you are going to learn things the hard way. Err on the side of caution, make sure you have more money than you need.

- read the article 'evaluating your hand after the flop' several times, it is probably the most important one for a BSS beginner. Forget the postflop play you learned with SSS, bigstacking is completely different. If you flop top pair top kicker or have pocket aces and somebody bets big on a hot (connected) board, you have to fold. Dont put your entire stack at risk with these hands like you did with a shortstack.

good luck
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hi ya delete,

How is your BSS been going since you switched over?

As for your recommendations, i know the the bankroll article states starting at NL5 with $100 but i've got a roll of $130 right now so that should give me a bit of learning equity so to speak.

Im readng all the bronze articles and watching all the BSS NL5 FR videos on bronze as well. I've also arranged the articles into a book format on my wordprocessor and printed them off so that they are always available no matter where i am.

Thankyou for the words of support.

Regards, Steve
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBu11d0g
      Another question i have is that according to the BSS bankroll managemnt article it suggests you should start at 0.02/0.04 (NL5) with a buy-in of $5 which should be the max buy-in allowed for that table im guessing but with PokerStars the max buy-in allowed is $10 as it is on Titan, so does that mean i have to start on 0.01/0.02 to have the maximum buy-in of $5.

Regards, Steve
      i'm pretty sure i checked it the other day and the max buy-in for 0.02/0.04 is $5.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      I made a mistake with Titan but the max-buy in on PokerStars is definately $10 though, so the question still remains the same.

Regards, Steve