From humble beginnings, how much pie will be eaten?

• EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Your Host: Bart from Hampshire (Southern England), U.K.

Bankroll Names:

(A) Titan BRM (Start date 01/10/2008) Funded by $50 (A.N.Other signup deal)

(B) Full Tilt BRM (Start date 06/10/2008) Funded by $50 (PokerStrategy signup)

(C) Pacific BRM (Start date 11/10/2008) Funded by $0 (Freeroll cashed @ $1.00)

All playing NL Holdem Cash Tables
      SSS Strategy
      Starting level $0.05/0.10 ($2 buy in), except Pacific which is $0.01/0.02 ($0.50 buy in).

Primary Aims:
      1 - To gain better knowledge and understanding of NL Holdem poker through the use of PokerStrategy.com website, it's strategy guides, coaching sessions & the expertise of more established community members. To utilise this knowledge in improving my own game.
      2 - To expand my circle of friendships within the poker forum communities and beyond and above all else to have FUN.

Secondary Aims:
      3 - Over time, gradually build up the available bankroll to open up additional tournaments and levels of play.
      4 - Eventual qualification into U.K. land events via online satellites.

Background:
      Been playing online a couple of years now, on various sites, but without any real organised strategy. Played mainly MTT's and very rarely cashed so bankroll needed constant (moderate) funding.

Found "A.N.Other" poker funding website on 31st September 2008 and signed up to Titan Poker. A couple of days later came across the superior "PokerStrategy.com" website and signed up to Full Tilt.

I should point out from the start that, I'll be working my way through the strategy guides etc as I go and might not always follow them to the letter. I actually want to make mistakes early on (on small buy in tables) so that I can better identify, recognise & avoid such mistakes later on.

I have my own funding available, should I need it later on, but for now I'm going to stick to the free money provided and we'll see how it goes from there.

Blog #1 (18/10/2008)

And so it begins, well a few days in already, but didn't think to blog before. Summary of happenings so far laid out below.

Strategy guides so far read (& re-read):
      NL - Basic (all x4) & Bronze (3 of 11)
      Sng/Tournaments - Basic (1 of 9) & Bronze (2 of 4)
      Others - Basic (all x3) & Bronze (all x1).

Live Coaching sessions:
      Sng strategy by the N0se (Excellent)

(A) Titan BRM

Good solid start made on Titan. I know a lot of people don't care for the ipoker network, but I actually find it extremely clear, easy to use and pretty reliable with only occasional disconnects.
      Playing 0.05/0.10 tables & occasional 0.01/0.02 table when I can't find a table meeting the recommended criteria laid out in strategy guide (NL - Basic #1).
      Quickly break the $5 gain mark and then loosen starting hands up a little too much and hit a bad running streak.

Lesson 1 learnt = Don't get cocky and blow everything before you really get going!

Good recovery made since, finding Titan players at this level to be pretty tight with very little action occuring so have been taking advantage (selectively) by opening up the starting hands slightly, but folding if/when challenged.
      Getting into a good routine of entering a table with $2 and leaving after reaching $3, but hanging around to see all of the freeplay hands up until my next BB (tight wad lol).
      Recently broken through both the $10 & $15 gain marks, currently playing off of +$14.20

(B) Full Tilt BRM

Solid start also achieved on Full Tilt playing $0.05/0.10 tables. Plenty of ups & downs, but steady progress made.
      Learnt from a fellow forum member that the rake is a lot higher on these tables and suggests playing $0.10/0.25 instead. This is a very good point to consider and I both value this piece of advice and appreciate it being raised, however big mistake, I'm just not ready for this yet!
      Find players on 0.10/0.25 playing totally different to the lower level and also encounter a couple of highly aggressive characters where I just don't seem to find good enough hands, the confidence (or perhaps both) to go up against.
      I become ultra tight, sticking religiously to the starting hands in (NL - Basic #2) and get anniliated by the blinds.

Lesson 2 learnt = Don't try to run before you can crawl. Stick to the tried & tested route and gain confidence before moving up.

Can't upload the Full Tilt data into Elephant at the moment, so no chart available, but if you can visualise the chart above upside down, you'll get the rough picture.

(C) Pacific BRM

Never intended on starting a 3rd BRM, but played a freeroll MTT on my dormant ($0) Pacific account the other day and cashed, $1 added to fighting fund, kerching!
      OK, I appreciate that $1 is nowhere near enough to start within normal BRM guidelines, but as it was free, lets have some fun and see what happens.

First table (0.01/0.02), enter with 50 cents and play very tight against the extremely loose players there. Catch a couple of tiddlers in my net and push all in with QQ, both call (no real surprise), my ladies hold up and I exit with $1.30 (total bankroll now $1.80).
      Second table, enter with 50 cents and gradually grind my blinds away until dealt KK. Push with whats left of my chips, circa 34 cents, and get suked out by an AJ. Overall bankroll now $1.30, but still ahead so not unhappy.

Current Standings:

(A) Titan BRM = Overall +$14.20 (Bankroll $64.20)
      824 hands played, BB/100= 37.33.

(B) Full Tilt BRM = Overall -$16.10 (Bankroll $33.90)
      Full hand history currently being sought for Elephant import (help anyone?, where is this held?)

(C) Pacific BRM = Overall +$1.30 (Bankroll $1.30)
      Full hand history not currently known, but trying to locate.

Overall = - $0.60, Mood = Optimistic :)

Other points of possible interest

Cleared $5 of Full Tilt bonus already and received $1.27 rakeback from PokerStrategy (not included in the above figures which I want to keep as solely table gains/losses).

Freeroll MTT's
      06/10/2008 (Full Tilt) $100 U.K. Freeroll = 9th / 1,205 (+$3.00)
      08/10/2008 (Titan) Pokerstrategy English #4 = 25th / 101
      15/10/2008 (Titan) Pokerstrategy English #5 = 10th / 75
      17/10/2008 (Titan) New Players Special $1,000 = 21st / 171 (top 20 cashed.... Bubble Boy.... :( weep!)
      17/10/2008 (Full Tilt) $100 U.K. Freeroll = 57th / 1,007.
  • 77 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      The pain, before the gain.

OMG, had a super sick sukout day yesterday. Full update will follow later on, but in short lost a total of $11.68 from (Mainly) Full Tilt and Titan.

You no doubt know the scenario by now, but a taster of my hands (until i can master the elephant download):

My AA cracked by 10 6o (yes someone seriously called with this)
      My KK cracked by JJ
      My AK (after hitting K on flop & a second on the river) cracked by JJ.

Only 2 hands held up all session and both minimal payouts.

Mood: somewhere between disallusioned & gutted X( :(

Have re-read the guides and can't see anything major I'm doing wrong, might just be a natural downturn/bad run of luck I guess.

Cannot wait for the SSS NH live coaching session to start (circa an hours time). :P
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Ooh, the coaching was good, I've been playing so wrong, far too aggressive.

It's been working, but must stick to the strategy. Back to basics, going to put a lot more practice in.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey Bart, hows it going mate.

Great blog you got going here, keep up the good work.

As for the SSS try and follow the strategy 100% as any deviation at these lower limits may end up costing you big style. Sometimes your monster hands will get beat occasionally by donks but you need to understand that in the long run these same donks will pay you back big time so in the short time it is something that you need to learn to accept.

As for checking your play i suggest that you go over every hand that you lost the most money with as well as the hands that you won the most with in a tracker and make sure that they were played 100% correct pre- and postflop. This is the ideal way to find any leaks that may creep into your game that your not immediately aware of.

Also if there are any hands that you are not sure of then just post them in the forum and we will help you as much as we can mate. Make sure to read all the articles as many times as needed and watch all the videos that you are able to as well.

Sorry for the long post but i hope you find it of use.

Regards,

Steve
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Thanks Steve,

Really appreciate your comments, wise words indeed, keep em coming.

That coaching session you recommended on Sunday was superb, it made me realise all sorts of things where I was deviating from the Strategy.

The one overriding message still in my head is the German coach saying in perfect English "Stick to the strategy, nope stick to the strategy... :D ".

Can't remember his name, was it Max? Really appreciate his time & help though, as I do yourself and other members.

Update coming up very shortly, but the fightback has begun, almost doubled the number of hands I've played and yes, I'm sticking to the strategy mein freund rofl ;)

Updated stats/charts coming up, just trying to work out me elephant.

Bart
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      The "good save" era.

Thanks to live coaching session and words of wisdom from Mr Bulldog amongst others, my Full Tilt bankroll has been saved and fightback is under way. Bring it on :P

Current Standings:

(A) Titan BRM = Overall +$15.67 (Bankroll $65.67)
      1,210 hands played, BB/100= 26.64.

(B) Full Tilt BRM = Overall -$19.20 (Bankroll $30.80)
      259 hands(#), BB/100=-12.16(#)
      # since elephant 18/10/2008, unknown stats before.

(C) Pacific BRM = Overall +$2.27 (Bankroll $2.27)
      Full hand history not currently known.

Overall = - $1.26, Mood = Relieved :rolleyes:

Lesson 3 learnt = Patience, patience, patience.
      Lesson 4 learnt = Yet more patience, stick to the strategy.

Titan Chart:

Full Tilt Chart (only since elephant):

If these charts are too big, which I'm guessing they are, if someone could let me know & I'll try to resize them before uploading. Cheers.

More soon,

Bart

Edit: Have reduced size of charts by 50%, uploaded, should refresh in blog shortly.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Only been playing Titan today to build confidence up as seems to be more predictable (or at least players are) and I'm close to having enough points for a $1k freeroll entry.

I've been a "good boy" today and stuck pretty rigidly to the strategy, even moving in with JJ when I thought I was behind.... I was, but caught the trip, happy days.

Usual suk outs brought me back down though. Is it me, or is there an invisible force field around the gain of $15, sigh X(

Find myself humming the song "Breakthru" by rock band Queen, but even this doesn't help.

One good aspect however is that I'm now getting more confident with the SH's, moved up to playing 2x tables together today whooo hooo ;)

More grinding scheduled for tomorrow, $15 will be mine, all mine :D

Titan Chart

Full stats follow on next update, need some sleep now for the battle ahead.

p.s. Maybe I chose the wrong Queen song, Flash would perhaps be better...... "come my brave hawkmen"!

Mood = Determined :evil:
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      No ring games today unfortunately, got side tracked by 'normal life' issues.

Did manage to log on in time for the English # 6 though.

I used to play a lot of MTT's, but never really achieved anything. Since starting this strategy, I sticking religiously to my BRM's and only playing whatever freerolls I pick up.

3rd consecutive personal best in the English Community League, gotta be happy with that!

English #4 > 25th (upgraded to 24th due to presence of non community players)
      English #5 > 10th (upgraded to 9th)
      English #6 > 7th (upgraded to 6th)

Mood = Happy as "Larry". :D
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I totally suk at cash tables. BR's just disintegrating before my eyes.

I'm finding that on average its taking me 3 to 4 circuits to actually find a hand thats fits all of the SSS criteria, thats -$0.45 to -$0.60 in lost blinds for a start. Then because I've had to wait those 4 circuits, people scurry away when I do raise, so I profit from only $0.15 stolen blinds, net loss 30 to 45cents a time.

So I attempt to steal occasionally, sticking strictly within the guideline hands and what happens people call with f.a. (i don't mean five ace!) and then call my cbet after hitting the bottom pair or have 3 to a flush.

It seems daft to me to have to fold TT just because your in UTG+2, but then play 77 aggressively from late pos only to constantly lose to callers with 2 overcards.

I know, its all be worked out mathmatically and over long term you should have an advantage, but seems to me that I have a big neon sign over my head and everyone knows exactly what I'm playing at (does everyone I play read this blog?).

BR's are... well to be honest I don't want to look, both are now probably down on starting point due to heavy Titan losses.

Mood = Deeply disallusioned and threatening to quit to concentrate on MTT's :(

Titan Chart

Full Tilt Chart
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      play BSS or SnGs
      I quit SSS a while back,most people don't have the patience to make this strategy profitable. At one point my BR was $6, now it is $1440 so Gl.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      play BSS or SnGs
      I quit SSS a while back,most people don't have the patience to make this strategy profitable. At one point my BR was $6, now it is $1440 so Gl.
      Thanks rockets, STT's might be worth a try as my tournament play has definately improved since starting to go through the strategy guides.

I don't actually find cash tables very interesting at all, but thought they would be the best place to learn, hmmm we'll see.

Need to get some shut eye and refocus more logically and calmly tomorrow I guess.

Many thanks for your input though, really appreciate it, cheers m8.

Bart.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Just read Drakhor's blog and it started exactly the same as mine. Decided therefore to get right back on the horse (small pony) and try again.

A small number of hands later, exited with 25cent gain. Not a great deal in terms of $ but a tremendous psychological morale boost.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey EagleStar88 :)

Good to see you blogging. The first steps are always the hardest steps :) So even if the SSS is often frustrating and hard (I can't seem to play SSS with less than 4 tables since it gets pretty boring otherwise) - it helps you train discipline. Making tough folds can be very important in BSS - and playing SSS is perfect training for that.

Its important not to think of the money or the winnings while getting started out but at the learning curve. Try to spend a lot of time thinking about the game and why you are doing what you are doing. Read articles, watch videos, browse the sample hand forums, visit coachings, and motivate yourself to be critical towards your own play. If you lose money every session - but fix a leak or two in return - you are on the right way towards becoming a winning player
      (while winning $ every session but adopting losing tendencies - due to currently making shortterm winnings with them - will just lead to a crash on higher limits / later)

So good luck on your progress and see you next week in the league :)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Thanks Soy,

It means a lot that you take the time out to encourage the newer members and you always give great advice.

I had been focusing on the net +/-, but actually you are totally right, it is the learning process that is the main focus here (as stated myself in the first post). If it cost a $ or two on the way, then hey no problem, cheap at half the price.

Every long journey starts with a single step.

Get knocked down 7x times, get up 8x times :P

As everyone will know by now from my previous posts, I've been sticking to Freeroll MTT's only to concentrate on the SSS learning process.

In addition to 3 excellent showings in the Community League, I also now add in the follow success, due in large extent to the strategy guides which have helped greatly especially in terms of discipline (lasting a long tourney). I encourage everyone to read them again & again.

Just beat over a 1,000 other players to take down a Full Tilt Freeroll, Get in!

:D :P :D :) :D :P :D :)

25/10/2008 - Full Tilt $100 U.K. Freeroll = 1st / 1,089 players = Won $15!

• EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Following quickly on from my MTT success, got straight back down to the SSS bump & grind.

What an amazing upsurge this was too. Played a total of 678 hands mainly on Titan, but also Full Tilt when I'd visited all the suitable tables (& to allow the villians to reload their stacks :D ).

Ended the session up $14.25 (Titan) & up $0.80 (Full Tilt). Still think the extra seat on a table (10 rather than Full Tilt's 9) and lower rake make all the difference, but determined to suceed at both.

What was even more pleasing, on the back of the kind words from Soy, is that I felt good all throughout. I was happily laying down my Tens in early pos and with one ($2) exception, played a pretty near perfect SSS game. By jove, I think Barty Boy is getting there, slowly but surely.

Haven't fully disected the elephant yet, but one very memorable period went something along the lines of:

1) Picked up Pocket Aces, they held up and doubled my $1.55 stack (I carefully click the 'autopost blinds' off ready to blind out).
      2) Very next hand, pocket Queens, put the standard SSS raise in again, but this time everyone are a bit wary, so no action, weep. Still picked up the blinds and now desperate to leave the table with my 'loot'.
      3) Very next hand again, pocket Kings! I nearly fall off of my chair. Whilst nervous (due to my stack), again raise as per SSS and because of my previous 2 consecutive raises table thinks I'm bluffing, get 2 calls. Win the showdown against both after pushing all in, Kings hold up and I exit with just over $9. I could get used to this.

Current Standings:

(A) Titan BRM = Overall +$14.54 (Bankroll $64.54)
      2,742 hands played, BB/100= 11.34.

(B) Full Tilt BRM = Overall -$18.95 (Bankroll $31.05)
      476 hands(#), BB/100=-18.59(#)
      # since elephant 18/10/2008, unknown stats before.

(C) Pacific BRM = Overall +$2.27 (Bankroll $2.27)
      Full hand history not currently known.

Overall = - $2.14, Mood = Gone for a lie down (happy) :D

NB: All above figures are Cash Tables only, excludes bonuses/Rakebacks & Freeroll successes.

Titan Chart

Full Tilt Chart
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Just one phrase can sum up the last day or so and that (in the polite form) is "F.F.S."

AA beaten by 86o
      KK beaten by 76s (77x flopped)
      AK beaten by A4o
      JJ beaten by JJ (yes he flushed, sigh)

But actually, am I bothered, No not really for two reasons:

1) The one certain thing about luck is that it will change, still have confidence in the long term strategy,
      2) My overall game (in terms of adherence to SSS strategy and the understanding of it) is improving.

A few quick stats from my first 4k+ hands on elephant:

AA Won the hand 94% of time, average +/-=+$0.84 (playing NL10 with buy in of $2).
      KK = 72%, avg +0.18
      QQ = 98%, +1.36
      AK=67%, -0.01 (of which suited 100%, +0.77)
      JJ=64%, +0.31
      AQ=52%, -0.14 (of which suited 54%,-0.71)
      TT=71%, +0.28
      99=57%, -0.28
      AJ=65%, +0.27 (suited 68%, +0.14)
      88=40%, +0.06
      AT=44%, -0.01 (suited 79%, +0.21)
      77=31%,+0.11
      66=17%,-0.10
      all other combinations generally less than 20% win rate.

Whilst not nearly sufficient volume of data to be entirely accurate and doesn't take into account position, first in etc, this is quite an eye opener for me.
      For example prior to joining PokerStrategy, I thought A10 or AQo were good hands and often used to limp on mid pairs trying to catch the trip.
      The stats are however starting to show that these aren't necessarily profitable hands unless played in a very measured approach.

QQ stats seem to be a little high for me (an anomoly), but like I said, take them with a pinch of salt as only 4,000+ hands worth of data.

I still take heart from the wise words from my Mr Miyagi (SoyCD), see above, this is a learning process and boy am I learning lots.

Priorities still remain, in order:
      1) Have fun
      2) Learn a better game (to better achieve 1.)
      3) Eventually over time, fund a small MTT career through Cash Table funding.

Just playing a freeroll at the moment, as soon as out will head back to the tables.

Best regards,

Bart
      Brush on, brush off
      Polish on, polish off
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      As it's now 4 weeks into my strategy and so much been going on in the last couple of days, an update is required.

:club: Overall cost to me = $0 :P

> Cash Tables NL10 SSS = -$13.19 (#1)
      > STT SNG's = +$53.40 (#2)
      > MTT Tournaments = +$15.00 (Freerolls only at the moment)
      :diamond: Net "playing profit" = +$55.21 :D

> Free Bankrolls = +$150.00 (#3)
      > Additional Bonus cleared = +$20.00
      > Rakeback = +$2.23
      :heart: Total "freebies" = +$172.23

:spade: :spade: Overall Fighting Fund therefore stands at $227.44 (#4)

#1 - Whilst the ring cash tables have been incredibly tough & dare I say it... boring, been learning so much, totally worth it and intention is still to continue focus on this as priority. This was always the worse aspect of my game.

#2 - Only started playing these to clear A.N.Other's sign up bonus off quicker. Have cleared profits at every level from 10c upto & including $5 SNG's, but recently dropped back down to 50c & $1 tables due to run of 4 losses at $5 (& points no longer required/bonus cleared). Whilst a strength of mine, want to concentrate on the learning curve of cash tables, poker at it's purist!

#3 - $100 from A.N.Other (don't bother searching for it, they seriously are not worth it, freeroll keeps getting cancelled, no ongoing value, not many members, last post in forum 3 days ago and strangely very little strategy info!). $50 from Pokerstrategy (Best Prof Poker School on the planet, bar none :D ).

#4 - Seems a large amount, but don't forget that the bulk of this is made up from one off free money, which has to last. I'm still working on making actual playing profit so the +$55.21 is the key figure for me.

And now for the real news. Since I've managed to clear the bonus from A.N.Other (the strategy site with strangely very little strategy), from 1st Nov going to concentrate on Full Tilt more because this is my linked-Poker Strategy site.
      I want to start giving some income back to PokerStrategy as a thank you for all the excellent work & help they give. By doing so, it'll enable them to free up another bankroll for another new poker player/community member. Not to mention the rakeback for me and I want my Silver status soon :D

Full stats and figures etc to follow when I can be more rs'd ;) Elephant has missed a few hands, so will wait for a fix before analysing all my hands.

Bart

Mood = Cheerful. :D
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey bart,

I,m really glad that things are working out for you. Now that you've got the roll it may well be time to start thinking about moving up a level to NL25.

Keep up the good work my son :D

Regards,

Steve
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBu11d0g
      Hey bart,

I,m really glad that things are working out for you. Now that you've got the roll it may well be time to start thinking about moving up a level to NL25.

Keep up the good work my son :D

Regards,

Steve
      Thanks mate, appreciate that.

Re NL25, no not yet, far from it.

If you look at my stats, all the profit (except 1x freeroll ITM) has come from Single table SNG's. My actual SSS is down $13 at the moment after a couple of bad sessions and a $2 donk resulting from tilt, sigh it happens, but at least i walked away afterwards.

Apologies for any confusion caused, could have made it clearer:

I've allocated the $50 from Pokerstrategy to the SSS NL10 cash tables at the moment, so circa $37 BR left here at the moment. Once(/if) I can get this up to the $150 in line with BRM, I'll move up to NL25. Similarly, if it hits $30, will drop down (not possible on Full Tilt, but could on Titan).

Think this is the sensible route, no logic in throwing money away when struggling to break even at the moment. Still good learning curve.

The other signup bonus was gained 3 or 4 days prior to finding the vastly superior PokerStrategy and are kept along with any rakebacks etc as reserves, in case my SSS goes A over T. Will also be using these to fund occasional SNG's & the odd MTT separate from the main strategy.

The SNG's are looking extremely good, especially pleasing as in profit across all the levels played (10c/20c/50c/$1 & $5), this could be what I end up doing long term & they sure do break up the boredom of grinding cash tables, but a side issue for now as want to learn all I can from SSS.

I'm not in any hurry to move on or up, just enjoying the ride!

Bart :)

p.s. How's the Short handed going Steve?, I'm guessing you have to be a little looser than full ring in a similar way to the SNG's. Apologies for my ignorance, not got to those strategy bits yet, re-reading the SSS full ring at the mo.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello Bart,

Yeah you play quite a few more hands in SH than FR so you're correct with the looser style, but im really enjoying it at the minute. There's plenty more play than SSS and a lot more thinking to do which is suiting me down to the ground.

I've made a slight profit after the first few days but its all about the learning at the moment which is why i've got a bit extra on the bankroll to cover my learning varience :D

Regards,

Steve