Dateline: London, UK

• ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      So after lurking around for a ridiculous amount of time in the Pokerstrategy shadows - yes that was me you thought you saw out of the corner of your eye the other day - I thought it's about time that I said hello. Especially after shoving a ridiculously long post onto the end of Barry Carter's unsuspecting blog.

As I say, I have been around for over a year but I would still regard myself as very much a beginner. At least in ability and knowledge. In fact, if anything as time goes by I feel like I know and understand less. So that what I thought I got 6 months ago, I now marvel at how I was just chipping at the top of the proverbial iceberg.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a PhD student a few years back who told me - with a slightly unhinged tremor in his voice and a shaking hand - that there comes a moment when you look down at your chosen field of study and realise that rather than it all being nicely within estimable limits, there is a whole continent of knowledge which you may never even grasp. And that potentially it may require more than a lifetime to even come close to understanding....

He would have told me more but at that point, he looked like he was about to burst into tears so I rapidly changed the subject in a very British way and asked him what flavour crisps he fancied or something suitably inane....

Anyway, my point being that that is how I often end up feeling when I look out at the great vista that is poker. This being said, fear not, I am not close to tears...well, as long as you ignore that unfortunate encounter last night with J2o that is but that - as every bad beater already knows - is another story.

No, rather, I look out at the acres of undiscovered country and never cease to feel excited, stimulated and yes at times, utterly overawed. Which are all feelings that I experience just looking down at the wealth of knowledge displayed just here at Pokerstrategy never mind elsewhere on the internet and in books.

And that's why we can continue to say that we live in a golden age of poker...just as we could say that we live in a golden age of ukulele or any other interest you care to mention. The ability to share so much knowledge and explore so many questions together in this unlimited way is truly wonderful. I can't imagine what my poker would look like - not to mention my bankroll - if I hadn't had access to this amount of resources.

Oh and for the record, my poker playing is a whole lot better than my ukulele. That was one interest which even with lots of practise, never did quite reach the desired heights...or lows for that matter :(

So where I am at in terms of skill, I think the best way of describing it is to quote the other wise Dolly....Parton as opposed to Brunson, who famously said that she is "too good to be bad, and too bad to be good"

In a weird way, I sometimes think that describes perfectly the state of my game. Somewhere between the really bad fishy recreational player and nowhere near the serious grinder. Either way, on the whole, I am enjoying where I am at. And surely that is the whole point - to enjoy the process and in a very Zen way, recognise that in this great poker session of life, it's the journey that we must focus on. Showdown will come whether we like it or not.

Ok, so inspite of the fact that I was supposed to be introducing myself, I actually haven't really said anything have I? Well, how about this factoid....I tend to be very verbose and write far too much. Oh, you knew that already? Sheesh, uncanny....

Apart from that, I live in London and one day would love to work up the courage to check out real life living breathing poker. But for now, I hide behind my screen :)

Oh and I work in the media, in the really old fashioned world of print. Yes, do you remember those things? Newspapers? Yeah, I know, old school. So depending on your point of view - and how you wear your tin foil hat - working in the mainstream media means that I am part of a manipulative wicked controlling nefarious empire that wishes to establish the New World Order. Oh and yes, Pokerstars is rigged so that I can see you now via your webcam. Nice underwear btw. I never knew you could get it in that size and colour....

Or, if you are jaded and cynical, I work for a dying industry that is desperately trying to convince young hip things that news on paper is a really great idea. And if you agree, please drop a penny into our ink stained grubby hands...

On that note, I think I better stop there. You can see why they never ask me to write anything in the newspaper...paper is not cheap ;)

Charlie
  • 9 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Welcome to the PokerStrategy Charlie!

That was quiet an introduction indeed, thank you for it! I can see why you have a job in the media :D

Glad that you are enjoying your poker - believe me that is half the battle :)

What games/stakes are you playing at the moment then?

Regards,
      Gary
    • ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      Ha! Yes, as I say, brevity was never my finest point ;) Although I promise I will try to keep things short wherever possible. Maybe it explains though why I much prefer FR to SH games ;)

So thank you Gary for the welcome in spite of my deluge on the word count front!

And yes, I think you're right - something I've learnt over the ups and downs of the past year in my poker education, is that it's vital we never lose sight of the fact that it's a game at heart. That doesn't mean we stop taking it seriously or treat it lightly. But rather, we never let go of that first feeling we had when we discovered this strange and wonderful game and realised that it was going to be a big part of our lives, whether that be recreational or professional.

Either way, however important it might be, it should never stop being fun. Especially for us recreational players but even for the pros. As the old adage goes, if you do something that you love as a job, you'll never have to work again in your life.

Although I suppose for some people - especially those who grew up in an environment where poker was always part of the furniture as it were - it might be hard to pinpoint a time when it became big for them. Whereas for me, I can pinpoint it to an actual moment. I even have a 'Poker Day' when I mark the anniversary of my 'coming out' as a poker player to friends. But - you'll be relieved to hear - that's another story for another time ;)

So in answer to your question - yes that was a very waffly tangent to start with - I have been following very much a textbook progression through my poker education. I started with limit as advised by the first books I got. And thank goodness I did as it preserved my bankroll for the first months of depressing downswing while I learned the basics.

Since then I have stuck around at the microstakes and have hopefully got the basics of FLHE at least. Although recently have suffered a nasty downswing which hit my confidence terribly. Again thank goodness for everything that I have been able to read, mainly on this site I must say. I have been very grateful for all the comments, experiences and advice that I have found so useful both in the forums and articles. Thank you!

So my next step is to gingerly dip into more of NL while trying not to be terrified every time someone raises amounts that make a limit player automatically tremble at their keyboard :D

Again, very grateful for the mountain of training material that I have ahead of me to plough through on here...that is, if it's possible to plough a mountain. But again, that's another question :)

And although I need no excuse to witter on any subject laid before me, I did promise after all to keep it brief!

Cheers again,

Charlie
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Charlie,

What the Dickens lol. If you would have started your post with "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times", I would start to believe you were the reincarnation of the great man.

Mind you, It's a great line to describe poker as well.

Looking forward to more well constructed and verbose posts.

Happy Grinding

Laz
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey again Charlie!

As you are now delving into all things NL, I suggest that you check out (if you have not already that is Lazza61s signature link.

Thank you also for the kind words about our site :)

Hope to see you more around the forum now!

Regards,
      Gary
    • ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      Thank you again guys for the warm welcome and Laz, you are far too kind. The only thing I share with Mr Dickens is a first name I fear! Oh and the ability to say in 1000 words what could be said in 100....except he does it a lot more lyrically needless to say :)

And thank you Gary for that heads up - that looks like a great intro to what is a somewhat daunting shift from the safe waters of FLHE :O

Can't wait! :)

Charlie
    • ShadDoneWin
      ShadDoneWin
      Bronze
      Welcome!

Firstly, I think you should write a novel rather than learn to play Poker.

Secondly, I think you should PM me and let me know what paper you're at. Would love to get some journo work exp!

Peace xxx
    • ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      Oh you smooth talker you, SDW! Then again, if we're just talking the ability to write endless reams of words - without any mention of actual talent - then yes, it's very possible that I might be a lot better at that than playing poker. As my recent downswing may testify :(

I did actually write a few short stories but then lost my confidence when it came to doing anything with them. Perhaps one day I'll dig them out but in the meantime, it's places like this that have to endure my urge to write. As you'll see if you check out the blog that somewhat recklessly I decided to try out here in spite of not being active on the site for very long. Apologies in advance for being so forward!

As for journo work experience, I'd love to give whatever advice I can but I fear it will probably be rather limited. For a start, I work for a non british media organisation so am not as plugged into what happens in my own country. But on a more general note, as I intimated above, the newspaper industry is entering a very tough and ultimately pretty fatal phase.

The fact is - as even this site will know - people don't like paying for content so you really have to fight to convince them the merits of doing so. Basically by offering high quality products that they can't get elsewhere. Which is what PS strives to do but which newspapers - judging by the decline in sales - is not managing very well. So it's not the best part of the business to get into if you want paid experience.

Otherwise, the only options are to be found in the new forms of social media but again monetizing that is a real struggle. Something that we would all like to know more about!

But would be cool to chat sometime if there's any way I can help....

All the best,

Charlie
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      Hey,

Nice to see someone else from the uk, making pooping up.

Have added you. I live just outside london myself. GL

Stu
    • ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      Hey Stu,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I did wonder if there were many people on here from the UK and specfically London so it's good to see some others around. I'm still doing my best to find my way around the place - pokerstrategy that is, not London! - so I hope to bump into you again.

All the best,

Charlie