How to practice late MTT phases?

• dardarlt
      dardarlt
      Bronze
      I am constantly failing in playing tournament's middle / late / buble phases, event if I have twice as average stack.
      What do you think, what are the best practice method? Playing SNG, 180 Man MTTs, playing large tournaments, or watching all videos/couching sessions?
  • 14 replies
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I can recommend Asaban's Beginner's Course on MTTs if you haven't watched it already (1st video, forum thread).

You can also practice a little with the ICM Trainer. It's intended for SNG players, but it can help you get a feel for the required pushing or calling ranges.
      Playing SNGs is not really comparable to MTTs, since the payout structure is different. In SNGs, it is more important to get in the money, while it is more important to finish deep in MTTs. I could imagine that 180-man SNGs might be somewhat similar, though, but I can't really tell since I never played them.

I do recommend watching a coaching session if you get the chance.

Btw, keep in mind that MTTs are extremely variance-heavy, so it might take some time until you can see results, even if your making the right plays.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      maybe you should play a few hyperturbo mtt or sng for practice. they basicly start in the mid to late stage (depending on the structure).

it could just be negative variance. posting the big pots you lost in the hand analysis forums could be a wise move, that's what i would do.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      There's an MTT coaching by Tiltberger today at 19:00 CET. Why not check it out?
    • dardarlt
      dardarlt
      Bronze
      Thank you all. All suggestions are really great. I'll try all of them.

If anyone has more suggestions, please write them :)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      I can recommend Asaban's Beginner's Course on MTTs if you haven't watched it already (1st video, forum thread).

You can also practice a little with the ICM Trainer. It's intended for SNG players, but it can help you get a feel for the required pushing or calling ranges.
      Playing SNGs is not really comparable to MTTs, since the payout structure is different. In SNGs, it is more important to get in the money, while it is more important to finish deep in MTTs. I could imagine that 180-man SNGs might be somewhat similar, though, but I can't really tell since I never played them.

I do recommend watching a coaching session if you get the chance.

Btw, keep in mind that MTTs are extremely variance-heavy, so it might take some time until you can see results, even if your making the right plays.
      Perfect answer =)
      180men MTSNG's are indeed a good way to practise MTT's. They are very similar in playstyle and last a short duration.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Jaquare
      Jaquare
      Basic
      180's SnG are great for practice and as someone said super turbo MTT help a lot to know to use your stack in similar stack size situation that you ll be in middle/late normal mtt.
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      180man is a pretty good practice!
      3,5r which are kidna deeper
    • uglyboy88
      uglyboy88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dardarlt
      I am constantly failing in playing tournament's middle / late / buble phases, event if I have twice as average stack.
      What do you think, what are the best practice method? Playing SNG, 180 Man MTTs, playing large tournaments, or watching all videos/couching sessions?

by reviewing your hands and searching where do you fall to make right decissions
    • StarFox1919
      StarFox1919
      Bronze
      Read. There are lots and lots of articles through the internet. Talk to MTT players, they will add many arguments and strategies to you.
    • mishajava
      mishajava
      Bronze
      more skill needed at the late phases and lil more aggression ;)
    • SuicideQueens
      SuicideQueens
      Basic
      >$5 SNGs are good for practice, i don't think $1 SNGs have good quality play,
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Originally posted by SuicideQueens
      >$5 SNGs are good for practice, i don't think $1 SNGs have good quality play,
      I’m not sure what this has to do with the last phase of a tournament, but you can better start on the $1 first. If you can’t beat those games you have a hard time on the $5 games against better players.

Further I recommend that you Introduce yourself! Than we know you a little bit better.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      The winner takes all format like 888 playing cards
      Helps focus on coming first
      :-)
      Also play every freeroll
    • mitozgd
      mitozgd
      Bronze