Choosing the right Poker Room for you!

• MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Hi all,

There are many different poker rooms and different offers and it can be confusing to make the best decision on where to invest your money. Whether it's the software, the fishiness of the table or the VIP system on offer, all of these different factors contribute to your bottom line - your win rate or your hourly rate.

At PokerStrategy.com, we believe we can help you make the right choice for you to make the most from playing poker and we'd like to do that for you in this thread!

If you need our help, just let us know a couple of details and we'll be able to help you find the poker room which suits you best!

----

1. Which game type you play? (No limit? Sit & Go? MTT? PLO, Fixed Limit, Other?)

2. Which limit do you play? (example: NL25, SNG $11, FL .50/1)

3. Short handed or full ring tables, or even Heads-Up?

4. How much do you play? (e.g. I play 3 hours a week, or I generate $1000 rake/month)

5. How many tables do you want to play?

6. What are your goals for the next 3+ months?

7. What time zone are you in and what times do you play?

8. Which rooms do you already hold accounts at?

----

The answers to those questions will help us help you!

Best,

Marc
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
  • 1991 replies
    • ferotaraba
      ferotaraba
      Bronze
      hey.

im playing partypoker atm, playing mostly NL10 FR (sometimes SH), thought about switching to pokerstars to either clear out some bonus or get a good rakeback.

im playing up to 4 tables at the time, i have a HUD, and yeah, id like a lot of fishes at the table :P also a lot of tables to choose from when finding a table.
    • ferotaraba
      ferotaraba
      Bronze
      yeah, it might be a good idea to split the money, but i am afraid i'd have to move down to NL4/NL5 when i do that.

btw, i heard about a poker room recently here on PS.com which offers rakeback+deposit bonus. im not sure but i think it was betfair/bodog/landbrokes.... that sounds like a great deal. is that true?
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by ferotaraba
      yeah, it might be a good idea to split the money, but i am afraid i'd have to move down to NL4/NL5 when i do that.

btw, i heard about a poker room recently here on PS.com which offers rakeback+deposit bonus. im not sure but i think it was betfair/bodog/landbrokes.... that sounds like a great deal. is that true?
      I would concentrate more on winrate, as opposed to rakeback. Because you're 4tabling the micro stakes, rakeback isn't really a factor for you - it's only one small part of your overall winrate. You'll be affected far more by the fishiness of the players so you should seek to find the fishiest room -- Party is certainly up there with the best of them, and William Hill and Poker770, as part of ipoker will also deliver plenty of fish to the tables.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Hi fellas! Nice thread.

I play SH NL100-NL200 at 888 poker, rake $4k a month. When I joined in April 2011 it was awfully fishy, a real pleasure to play ABC poker and reap the profits. Unfortunately things have changed after Black Friday. New regs storming the tables, games have become much tighter and tougher. I wonder if it's the same for all rooms or is it only 888.

Each night before I go to sleep I pray the Lord for the legalization of online poker in USA. And I'm atheist!

Go figure.
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      hey guys whats up!
      I've been around for like 5-6 months or so, watched some VODs, read some books and forums on 2+2 and pokeroff. But never played online. And now I think I'm ready to start. So I'm choosing a room to play. I need a room with playmoney tables to train there first. What room should I pick?

The second question is:
      what is the number of hands a newbie (the guy just started playing) plays in texas holdem 6max before loosing $50?
      10k? 100k?
      Let's say he plays the lowest limits availabe. Micro limits.

Thanks.
    • Holdemfreakie
      Holdemfreakie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slipkn6t
      hey guys whats up!
      I've been around for like 5-6 months or so, watched some VODs, read some books and forums on 2+2 and pokeroff. But never played online. And now I think I'm ready to start. So I'm choosing a room to play. I need a room with playmoney tables to train there first. What room should I pick?

The second question is:
      what is the number of hands a newbie (the guy just started playing) plays in texas holdem 6max before loosing $50?
      10k? 100k?

Thanks.

i would recommend Pokerstars! biggest poker room in the world
    • JohnTheGreatest
      JohnTheGreatest
      Silver
      Originally posted by MarcPS
      What's more, if you signed up with Poker770 or William Hill, you'd receive 5SPs/$rake and a first deposit bonus of 200% up to $2,000!

Hell yeah :)

I signed up on Poker770, have played just about 1h (16 tabling NL2 FR) and got +$10, really soft games there, so take ur chance! :)
    • Bossulb
      Bossulb
      Bronze
      Hello. I am playing 10NL SH BSS,usually 6 tables.I play 3hours/day and no ideea of rake generated anyway.
      I read before that Party poker it's a good choice because is fishier than pokerstars but i don't know if it is not better to go on a site with rakeback like NoIq(which i heard it got soft games but not sure) on entraction or i dunno. I will wait your answer.Thanks.
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Holdemfreakie
      hey guys whats up!

The second question is:
      10k? 100k?

Thanks.

thanks for for inviting me to your fishing pool :f_biggrin:
      But pokerstrategy does not provide $50 deposit to pokerstars. That means:
      1. Microlimits are much harder than in other rooms with $50 free from pokerstrategy.
      2. I will have to deposit my own money, that is not on my to-do list yet.
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      1. NL BSS

2. NL25/NL50

3. Shorthanded
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Hey Guys,

thanks for all your requests.

I'll jump right on these in the morning with some tip top advice for you all!

M

PS: You'll also note that i updated the OP to add one more question :)
    • Holdemfreakie
      Holdemfreakie
      Bronze
      hey guys whats up!

The second question is:
      10k? 100k?

Thanks.

1. Microlimits are much harder than in other rooms with $50 free from pokerstrategy.
      Hehe everyones fishing pool!

Oh sorry. i would then recommend (if you are thinkin where to use your 50$ from Pokerstrategy) William Hill.
    • XxMatadorExX
      XxMatadorExX
      Silver
      hey guys whats up!

The second question is:
      10k? 100k?

Thanks.

Hehe everyones fishing pool!

Oh sorry. i would then recommend (if you are thinkin where to use your 50$ from Pokerstrategy) William Hill.
      +1! Definitely William Hill! Got my 50$ Free there! broke the 10k barrier in less than 60 days!
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      hey guys whats up!

The second question is:
      10k? 100k?

Thanks.
      Hey slipkn6t,

Welcome to our community! :)

If you're looking for short handed traffic at the micro stakes, any of our free $50 rooms would be appropriate for you. Therefore, you might think 'what else can I get other than soft games to build my roll?'

Well, I'm going to suggest either William Hill or Poker770 (both on the ipoker network, so similar software and the same games) because:

• The games are really fishy at the micros. Even the fact that you've been learning a while already will make you a good winner in this game.
      • PokerStrategy.com offers bankroll protection on the free $50 on these rooms, so you can't play outside your limits whilst you're learning.
      • 5 StrategyPoints/$1 rake, meaning it's not hard to reach the silver status and unlock more great content to continue your learning, especially when you get 10SP extra for each day that you generate 1SP.
      • Daily freerolls to help keep your bankroll boosted

For those reasons, William Hill and Poker770 are the clear choices for you, I think.

Let me know what you think!

-M
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by Bossulb
      Hello. I am playing 10NL SH BSS,usually 6 tables.I play 3hours/day and no ideea of rake generated anyway.
      I read before that Party poker it's a good choice because is fishier than pokerstars but i don't know if it is not better to go on a site with rakeback like NoIq(which i heard it got soft games but not sure) on entraction or i dunno. I will wait your answer.Thanks.
      The first thing to note is that, if you're playing NL10, 6 tables for 3 hours/day, you're likely to be vastly overestimating the amount that rakeback adds to your winrate.

In fact, at NL10, the fishiness of the site, software, your ability to control tilt etc are all much bigger factors to influence winrate than rakeback. Of course, a little rakeback in the form of a VIP system, direct rakeback or loyalty bonuses don't go amiss either.

PartyPoker is indeed an excellent choice because the games are soft, the software is excellent and intuitive and you'll have plenty of traffic to game select wisely and crush the games with little thought about it.

For a smaller room, where the traffic perhaps isn't as wide spread, you could consider PKR where you'll get 30% flat rakeback plus you can qualify for the $7,000 PKR rake race we have monthly and you could expect to earn up to another 8% rakeback there with your volume of play.

A note regarding other skins which may or may not offer deals which are 'legal':

It's important to note a couple of things when considering this kind of deal:

'Superhighrakeback' deals attract grinders and sharks. This means that where these deals are offered, the games are generally tougher than elsewhere, and this affects your winrate for obvious reasons. What's more is that, over time, the trend gets worse, the fish all go busto and don't redopsit because they didn't have fun losing their money quickly to the sharks. Once there are no more fish, all the sharks leave because there are no fish and they have no brand loyalty to the skin, they are just looking in search of 'the next amazing deal'.

There have been cases in the past where the sharks leaving after eating all the fish has left the rakeback affiliate in trouble, unable to pay out to his players (sometimes even the skin goes broke and is thrown off the network, and gg bankroll if that happens).

In the longterm, taking deals which breach network regulations is -EV because you put your bankroll at risk for no reason at all. Everything that 'this amazing rb deal' can offer your winrate you can also find with far less risk by table selecting and game selecting wisely. This is especially true of the micro limits where the rakeback isn't so high, relatively speaking.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by CheckBop
      1. NL BSS

2. NL25/NL50

3. Shorthanded
      Hey CheckBop,

How much are you playing? If you know how much you rake/month and how many tables you play usually, that's great information! :)
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Hi fellas! Nice thread.

I play SH NL100-NL200 at 888 poker, rake $4k a month. When I joined in April 2011 it was awfully fishy, a real pleasure to play ABC poker and reap the profits. Unfortunately things have changed after Black Friday. New regs storming the tables, games have become much tighter and tougher. I wonder if it's the same for all rooms or is it only 888.

Each night before I go to sleep I pray the Lord for the legalization of online poker in USA. And I'm atheist!

Go figure.
      I didn't forget about you fuzzyfish!

You have a lot of options here in order to increase your winrate.

I'd recommend William Hill again here because it's a) fishier than 888poker imo and b) raking $4k/month will get you nicely embedded in their VIP system and if you use that wisely you'd get up to 48% (maybe slightly more...) rakeback as well as placing in our Top250 promo for about $200 - $250.

You have lots of other options as well though - let me know what's important for you and we can discuss them further!
    • Bossulb
      Bossulb
      Bronze
      Thanks Marc for the tips you gave me.I would probably choose party poker,but about PKR ..how is the field? Full of fishes because of the 3d soft or not? Thanks.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by Bossulb
      Thanks Marc for the tips you gave me.I would probably choose party poker,but about PKR ..how is the field? Full of fishes because of the 3d soft or not? Thanks.
      PKR is for sure fishy because of the 3d software, but there isn't as much traffic as there is at PartyPoker.