Plain rice with fish

• CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze

obv doing it wrong :f_frown:

Hello fellow poker players,
      I’m a 33 years old Belgian dude living in Cambodia. I started playing poker back in 2007 in Belgium. My first few deposits I quickly lost but I deeply fell in love with the game. I started reading every book I could find. The Sit 'n Go book by Moshman was my bible for years. I started playing the lowest stakes SNG’s and moved up slowly but surely to the $60 level.
      When Rush poker came around I was immediately hooked. I started playing 25NL 6max Rush and by the time Full Tilt closed in 2011 I was playing 100NL 6max Rush regularly (and taking shots at 200NL). I had joined DeucesCracked, discovered 2+2 and kept reading every poker book I could find.

I don't have exact stats about that period anymore. But between 2007-2011 I turned my initial deposits of about $200 into $15K playing SNG's and Rush poker. It had a day job back then and didn't really care about the money. I just wanted to run the number in my Full Tilt cashier up as high as possible. Anyway, I had good months and bad months. But my PokerTracker graph looked the opposit of what it does today.

When Black Friday hit the US, I withdrew most of my money from Full Tilt. When they closed down worlwide I deposited some money on Stars and started playing 100NL 6max. I was under-bankrolled and over-confident. I quickly lost $1K. That was that. With Full Tilt gone and PokerStars obviously rigged (just kidding! :D ) I wandered away from poker.

In 2012 I took a sabbatical from my day job to go travel the world.

By the end of 2012 I found myself in Cambodia without any desire to leave. That’s when online poker entered my life again. This time I looked at it as a means to make money. So 2013 became my first year as a ‘professional poker player’. It was a joke. I seriously lacked self-discipline. I lived in a beachtown. I partied hard and played poker very little. Between hangovers and parties I burned money at the 50NL 6max tables on PokerStars. That’s the first 100k hands in the graph above.
      My liferoll dwindled. By the time I was almost broke and ready to go back to Belgium I suddenly inherited a nice sum of money (yeah, life’s pretty absurd at times). The inheritance gave me an opportunity to chance things. I also had a serious girlfriend by now. Together we left the beach town and bought a small piece of land in the countryside. We build a nice, little house on that land. We got some pigs and chickens and started growing some vegetables. My girlfriend got pregnant. 9 months later a beaufiul baby boy was born.
      In the mean time I was very dedicated to poker again. This time taking it more seriously than ever before. I took a Cardrunners subscription, actively watched tons of videos, took notes, read forms, played around with Equilab, listened to poker podcasts, etc. Being far away from the temptations of the city and being responsible for my pregnant girlfriend (now girlfriend and son) made me put all my effort, energy and time in poker.
      At first it was smooth sailing. I deposited $800 at 888poker and withdrew $1600 about a month later by playing regular 6max games (50NL and 100NL). Then I started playing 50NL Zoom on Stars. There I turned $500 into $1500 into $0. Frustrated I left Stars again. Then I moved to iPoker to play 20NL Speed poker. This time I turned $500 into $800 into $80….
      That’s were I'm today.

The graph above shows all the hands I played during my time in Cambodia (2013 - today)
      I keep striving to improve. I review my sessions, post hand in forums, try to figure things out in Equilab, read and think and write about poker. But my graph keeps going the wrong way…

I got a few more months of living expenses in the bank but I desperatly need to find a way to turn things around.

The good news: :f_biggrin:
      We own our own house and live on the Cambodian countryside. I’ve got an awesome girlfriend and a beautiful 5 week old son. Life is awesome. Life is also cheap in these parts. We don’t need much for expenses. Electricity isn’t always super reliable but our internet connection is decent. I have plenty of time to play and study poker. Achieving a winrate of 2BB/100 at 50NL Zoom/Speed would already go a long way in covering our expenses.

The bad news:
      I’m obviously not winning. :f_mad:

My poker journey has been a solo trip thus far. This is the first time I sat down and told my story. Any questions, comments or advice are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading.
      English isn’t my first language.
      I aplogise for lousy grammar and/or spelling.
  • 60 replies
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      I like your blog. Good luck. :s_thumbsup:
    • Thiamtan
      Thiamtan
      Bronze
      hi like your blog and good luck whit life and poker
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      hi there,

cambodia sure is a strange place to find a belgian, you wouldn't happen to be a retired jewel thief would you?... i kid, i kid.

it looks like you are on the right path, the fact you started this blog shows you have a good attitude. make sure you continue to invest time into studying and i predict you will become a winner.

gl sir.
    • yarish
      yarish
      Bronze
      Looking forward to your success and some stories from Cambodia :)
    • CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze
      ty ty ty kenthmp, Thiamtan, badgerer and yarish for your kind words! :) :) :)

Alas, I'm not a jewel thief, badgerer :D Nothing that exciting; I used to drive a van for an express delivery company in Brussels but I discovered that life in rural Cambodia suits me a lot better.

Anyway, you guys gave me renewed confidence to return to the pokers today. I started out with actively watching a few training videos and then I played an intensely focused session of €20NL Speed poker on Betfair. Usually I play 4 tables but I stuck with 2 today. Taking my time to think about every single hand and making sure my thought processes were rational. It paid of as I ended the day with $22 in profit. Hooray, a small step in the right direction and my first win of the week! :s_biggrin: :D :s_biggrin:

Here are a few pics of where I'm living:

The road to our house

Me in my garden

The river
    • yarish
      yarish
      Bronze
      Looks really nice. I've myself planned to make a trip around Southeast Asia and pick one place to stay for a longer. But I have to move over some stakes before I do that :P

Good life :) Can't wait for a new updates.
    • Thiamtan
      Thiamtan
      Bronze
      really nice place you have there
      sould be nice to live there some day when i have the money fore go there and start to live there to
    • CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze
      I'm oh-so tired. :f_frown:
      Like any other father of a 6 week old son I can tell you all about how my boy is the most beautiful, most awesome, most cute baby ever. Unfortunately he is highly incompatible with my sleeping schedule. :D
      To make things worse we're also out of coffee.

Nevertheless, I recorded my morning session and did send it to Cardrunners. They might or might not use it in a future episode of their 'Leak Finder'-series. Regardless, being aware that someone smarter then me might look at me play put me on high alert. Or at least levelled out my sleepiness a bit... All in all it was a pretty uneventful break-evenish session. I posted a few hands in the Hand Evaluations Forum. The professional judge didn't critique my plays to much so I guess I didn't play extremely terrible.

In the afternoon I won a few nice pots but I failed to keep my concentration up. My mind kept dancing around in all directions. I quitted early. I need more sleep or at least lots of coffee. :s_mad:

The bankroll went up +$33,86 today (still playing €20NL Speed) :f_p:

Tomorrow no poker because we need to take our son to the hospital in Phnom Penh for a check-up and vaccinations. That makes me excited as a kid on Christmas! Not the hospital, of course but going to the big city. Once we're done with the medical stuff we have the rest of the day to indulge in worldly pleasures like eating pizza, wandering through the shopping mall and stocking up on cheese (especially cheese - oh man, I do miss cheese!), coffee, cornflakes, cookies, milk, maybe even a bottle of wine and more of these highly exotic kinds of food.
    • CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze
      So it's the end of another not-so-great month in poker...
      I'm tired of losing. It's time to make a change!
      (well, it was time to make a change a long, long time ago but better late then never)
      Starting this blog was a great first step. Writing stuff down for others to read makes me feel more accountable for my poker actions. But I'll need to do more than that. That's why I came up with...

Goals to make October awesome:
      1. Get a coach -- because I finally accepted that I'm not going to figure it all out on my own.
      2. Posts hands in the forum regularly -- because asking advice is a great way to improve
      3. Play at least 25k hands -- because I'll need to put everything I learn into (lots of) practice

No reason to make goals of things that I'm doing anyway. I'm living a pretty balanced life, I start every poker day with a review of the previous one and I actively watch a few training videos every week. But communicating about poker and playing enough volume; there's a challenge for me.

The plan is to get coaching as soon as possible, post tons of interesting hands, play more volume than ever before, improve greatly and make tons of $$$ in the process :D

...and, of course, I'll keep posting here to report how it all turns out :f_p:
    • VaskataBuci
      VaskataBuci
      Bronze
      Hi, will definitely follow! How much money in Cambodia is enough to cover your bills, food, beer for the month?

GL!
    • CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VaskataBuci
      Hi, will definitely follow! How much money in Cambodia is enough to cover your bills, food, beer for the month?

GL!
      Thanks!
      How much money highly depends on were you stay and how you spend your time... A lot less than in Europe, that's for sure.
    • Sw33z
      Sw33z
      Bronze
      Hi fellow Belgian !

first of all : congratz with your nice little family .
      i loved reading your story and hope to read more in the future :P
      i have almost the same background as you except that i went playing at PKR after BF .
      but now i play mainly at stars since a good year as belgians aren't allowed anymore at PKR .
      i'm mainly an MTT player but now i'm doing my own CG challenge , i want to make 1k playing CG's ( 10 nl FR atm ).
      so let's discuss as much as we can ! :)
      i would advice you to not "over"volume , as long as your not happy of the quality of your play ;)
      wish ya da best at the tables man !
    • CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze
      Hello Sw33z,

thanks for the nice comments! :f_biggrin:

I agree with what you say about volume. I try to play more tables for longer when I feel good (mostly when I'm winning) but cut down on tables and playing time when I'm struggling. I used to do this the other way around. Not a winning strategy :f_mad:

Anyway, great to see another Belgian on here =)
      Wish you all the best with the challenge, keep me posted on how you're doing!

GL!
    • Sw33z
      Sw33z
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CamboCat
      Hello Sw33z,

thanks for the nice comments! :f_biggrin:

I agree with what you say about volume. I try to play more tables for longer when I feel good (mostly when I'm winning) but cut down on tables and playing time when I'm struggling. I used to do this the other way around. Not a winning strategy :f_mad:

Anyway, great to see another Belgian on here =)
      Wish you all the best with the challenge, keep me posted on how you're doing!

GL!

i had the same problem , now that's resolved . now i need to stop playing when i'm winning but tired as hell . my winrate suffers heavily from this . often i just can' t leave the fishtank (or am i just too tired to stand up :D ) but i'm working on it . no more + 6 hrs sessions anymore. end this month i want to have played 25-30k hands with a better winrate then last month . hope i will adapt soon to those nice popups of weazel's hud ;)
      currently i've played 8k hands (started last week) and i'm at 10.5 bb/100 at 10 nl fr but it should've been way more . but i've took 3 days off and full of energy again to play but first let's watch tonite's Anderlecht - Dortmund . big game :)
      peace CamboCat
    • CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sw33z
      currently i've played 8k hands (started last week) and i'm at 10.5 bb/100 at 10 nl fr but it should've been way more
      Impressive winrate, well done!
      I didn't have too much time yet to play around with w34zel's HUD but implementing those nice pop ups in my game will definitely be an improvement :f_biggrin:

Anyway, not an easy day today...
      Woke up at 4h30 am (thanks to my baby boy) and was looking forward all morning to my very first poker coaching session.
      Alas, first there were power cuts all morning (that happens sometimes around here). Then I noticed the sound of running water somewhere in the wall were there definitely should not be running any water whatsoever. Closer inspection revealed water dripping out of the wall behind a closet... Not good :s_mad:
      We called a dude in town who knows how to fix these things. He said, "Yeah, sure, I will come right away". Well, around here that that can be translated as: "If you ring me a dozen times more I might show up tomorrow or the day after".
      So instead of getting my very first coaching session I was hitting the wall of my house with an axe all afternoon, trying to find the broken water pipe. It took a very long time (and a rather large hole in the outer wall) but the water is leaking no more. :s_grin:

Didn't learn a single thing about poker today but lots about plumbing :D
      Luckily the coach was kind enough to reschedule my session tomorrow.
      Let's hope I run better then :s_biggrin:
    • Sw33z
      Sw33z
      Bronze
      that garden picture : priceless view you have . thats the shit man :P
    • CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sw33z
      that garden picture : priceless view you have . thats the shit man :P
      Thanks, man, the last place I lived in Belgium before I left was Schaarbeek so, yeah, this garden is a big improvement :D
    • Sw33z
      Sw33z
      Bronze
      played two big sessions this october month . first session was really bad ( i was not focussed like i should be / too tired to play ) . lost 4.5 bi's in 1.5k hands . But yesterday i played my a game ( rest does a lot imo) during 2.5 k hands winning 3 bi's .

clicking buttons without thinking ... 3bet the big nitt of 10 nl , why did i do it ? because i didnt think grrr . played the river as a retarded .

PokerStars - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $11.57 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
      Hero (SB): $10.00
      BB: $10.42 (VPIP: 18.84, PFR: 14.98, 3Bet Preflop: 8.11, Hands: 209)
      UTG: $10.00 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      UTG+1: $10.00 (VPIP: 8.74, PFR: 5.83, 3Bet Preflop: 4.46, Hands: 935)
      MP: $7.70 (VPIP: 22.06, PFR: 5.88, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 70)
      CO: $4.35 (VPIP: 37.50, PFR: 37.50, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 8)

Hero posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has A:club: J:club:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.40, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.24, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.84

Flop: ($2.58, 2 players) J:spade: 7:spade: 3:spade:
      Hero bets $1.55, UTG+1 calls $1.55

Turn: ($5.68, 2 players) Q:heart:
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

River: ($5.68, 2 players) A:heart:
      Hero bets $2.40, UTG+1 raises to $7.21 and is all-in, Hero calls $4.81 and is all-in

UTG+1 shows Q:diamond: Q:spade: (Three of a Kind, Queens)

Hero shows A:club: J:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks)

UTG+1 wins $19.20

how to get value from callingstations :D :

PokerStars - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP+1: $10.00 (VPIP: 19.32, PFR: 12.20, 3Bet Preflop: 1.68, Hands: 296)
      CO: $20.03 (VPIP: 12.12, PFR: 9.70, 3Bet Preflop: 3.03, Hands: 168)
      Hero (BTN): $11.98
      SB: $10.00 (VPIP: 13.95, PFR: 13.06, 3Bet Preflop: 4.13, Hands: 343)
      BB: $12.83 (VPIP: 46.81, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 95)
      UTG: $10.00 (VPIP: 15.82, PFR: 8.86, 3Bet Preflop: 4.23, Hands: 158)
      UTG+1: $5.38 (VPIP: 15.54, PFR: 13.99, 3Bet Preflop: 9.52, Hands: 195)
      MP: $12.96 (VPIP: 11.62, PFR: 8.50, 3Bet Preflop: 2.60, Hands: 421)

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has A:spade: 2:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.55, 2 players) 9:spade: K:spade: J:spade:
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.55, 2 players) 8:club:
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.55, BB calls $2.55

River: ($5.65, 2 players) 6:spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets $9.18 and is all-in, BB calls $9.18

Hero shows A:spade: 2:spade: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 58%, Flop 96%, Turn 98%)
      BB shows Q:spade: T:club: (Flush, King High) (Pre 42%, Flop 4%, Turn 2%)
      Hero wins $22.93

how's your game going ? peace
    • Shuttled
      Shuttled
      Bronze
      Amazing place where you live man! And an interesting poker-story! Will definately follow your blog and looking forward to updates regarding your coaching and goals