It's just an extra zero! | From $100 to $1000

• ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      About this blog

Created to take part in the "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" challenge. Not sure exactly what I'll be going on here.

About me

I'm a 20 year old microstakes poker player from Chile who wants to dedicate his last 4 months of being a NEET before going to university to poker, and actually make money while doing so.

About me and poker

I've been a recreational fish ever since I discovered online poker (7 years?). I originally had some long paragraphs detailing my experience with poker, but to make it short I started taking this thing seriously this year in April playing $1.50 STT SnG's. I almost busted my initial $45 bankroll a couple times so I changed to full ring cash games, here's a graph for all my hands until now.

At this point I don't remember exactly what strategy I used up to what hand, but I know that around the 36k mark I stopped 10-table stacking with no HUD and began playing 4 tiled tables using freepokerdb's HUD, this time actually playing poker and paying attention to my opponents and not expecting to win auto-piloting playing a very nitty strategy.

Since then there have been some up and downs, but my biggest problem so far has been volume. Problem that I'm hoping this blog and this challenge will help me with :f_biggrin:

:spade: THE CHALLENGE :spade:

Sites:
      • Pokerstars
      • NetBet Poker - since 12 Nov 2014
      Starting Bankroll: $103.42
      Final Goal: $1034.20
      Game: Full Ring NLHE

:club: BANKROLL MANAGEMENT :club: (before 12 Nov 2014)

[x] Move up to NL5 at $125 (back at $75)
      [] Move up to NL10 at $300 (back at $200)
      [] Move up to NL25 at $750 (back at $500)

:club: BANKROLL MANAGEMENT :club: (since 12 Nov 2014)

[] Move up to NL5 at $200 (back at $150)
      [] Move up to NL10 at $400 (back at $300)
      [] Cashout $300 after finishing challenge

CASHOUTS

[$54] PokerTracker 4

:spade: GAME :spade:

[ ] FR NL2 (05 Sep - 24 Oct)
      [ ] FR NL5 (24 Oct - 12 Nov)
      [x] 6-max NL2 (24 Oct - )
  • 22 replies
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      Good luck Sir.

I've been a fish for 7 years :megusta:
    • ntelis1
      ntelis1
      Bronze
      Good luck mate.
      I'm the same challenge
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      I may start the challenge. Haven't decide yet.
    • Bacamarte91
      Bacamarte91
      Bronze
      Success to you my friend! I am embarking on a similar journey :)
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for the encouragement! :) Just a little update.

My current bankroll is $112.80. I haven't played much today because I'm experimenting a little bit with stacking tables, so that I can play more tables (I've been 6 -table tiling for over a month now) and put more stats in my HUD, since my monitor is kinda small.

It turns out the freepokerDB HUD is buggy when you stack tables, and tends to send the table to the bottom of the stack whenever you click on a popup. Thankfully that's much less of a problem when cascading so I'll start 8-table cascading and see how I do. Also since I'll have more stats visible I won't need popups nearly as often.

Oh, and I also need to stop looking at the cashier so much, so from now on I'll try to only check it weekly for the GRoDT update post on Monday.

• ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      I can say that things went pretty well this week ;D. After my last session in Friday I couldn't help but check the cashier, and I saw that I had around $119 in the bank.

NL2

I was pretty much rolled for it so I decided to take a shot at NL5. I can say that it was unexpectedly hard for me in the first few hundred hands, with every number being bigger and everyone playing tighter :( . I played very scared, made some mistakes and ended with 1.5k hands thinking on going back to NL2.

Luckily today (Since I couldn't play much yesterday) I managed to play my usual game and found a few profitable fish to play with and ended up in the green :D

NL5

Also, after playing enough hands I think I'll stick to cascading tables since having the extra stats is pretty nice, and for some reason is less tiring that tiling. I guess it has something to do with bigger tables + less head and mouse movement.

:spade: UPDATE 1 (22.10.2014 - 26.10.2014) :spade:

7686 hands
      +$27.07
      $130.49
      1 week
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      These first few days at NL5 have been insane, I swear this is somehow fishier than NL2. Just a few thousand hands with some of those like these...

...And my bankroll is up to $182!!! So I decided to have my first cashout a little earlier than planned:

In a few hours I'll have PokerTracker 4 so look forward to actual hand history (Couldn't get fpdb handsharing to work) and prettier graphs/stats in the future :f_cool: .

• ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      Time for the update of the week! My initial idea was to have a more active blog, but I guess I prefer to lurk the discussions forums or other people's blogs. I will at least make this post every week though, since even as it is I've found this to be very useful for motivating myself.

This was another week in the green, but the $60 cashout that I made to buy PT4 actually put me in the red :coolface: . Here's to hoping that I won't have to move down to NL2.

I actually planned to play more hands this week, but I spent quite a few hours playing with PT4 and configuring reports and the HUD. I can say that so far I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

:spade: UPDATE 2 (27.10.2014 - 02.11.2014) :spade:

10373 hands
      -$2.69 ($57.49 - $60 cashout)
      $127.80
      week 2
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      I think it would be a good idea to make a post after every report with my objectives for the week, so here they go:

:spade: OBJECTIVES - WEEK 3 :spade:

• Study at least 6 hours - Right now I'm watching w34z3l's beginner walkthrough series and adapting it somewhat to full ring. I guess I could also re-read Crushing the Microstakes.
      • Play 15000 hands - Can easily hit this if I play 4 75+15 sessions each day
      • Improve my fold to 3bet stat - I don't know what happened, but I guess is because I haven't adjusted since my days of being a 11/9 nit in NL2.
      • Start learning how to defend my blinds - since I really have no idea what I'm doing, especially from the BB, as can be seen in the BB/100 stat.
      • Be more active in the forums - probably post a hand or two, or at least discuss some hands.
      • Wake up every day at 7:45 am and take a 20 minute nap at 2:00 pm
      • Take Saturday off from poker - Monday just doesn't really work for me.
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zachrina
      Good luck Sir.

I've been a fish for 7 years :megusta:
      I know this is ultra slowpoke, but while editing the OP I realized I've also been a fish for 7 years :megusta:
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 100 BB
      BTN: 102.2 BB
      SB: 165 BB
      Hero (BB): 147.2 BB
      UTG: 129.4 BB
      UTG+1: 39.8 BB
      MP: 127.4 BB
      MP+1: 39.6 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 2:diamond: A:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) A:spade: J:heart: A:diamond:
      SB bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

Turn: (14 BB, 2 players) A:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets 4 BB, SB raises to 13 BB, Hero raises to 29 BB, SB raises to 48 BB, Hero calls 19 BB

River: (110 BB, 2 players) 3:heart:
      SB bets 98 BB, Hero calls 92.2 BB and is all-in

SB shows T:heart: 7:spade: (Three of a Kind, Aces) (Pre 43%, Flop 3%, Turn 0%)
      Hero shows 2:diamond: A:heart: (Four of a Kind, Aces) (Pre 57%, Flop 97%, Turn 100%)
      Hero wins 282.2 BB

wat :f_ugly:
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      This has inspired me to take a shot at 5NL

good to see things are going well :s_thumbsup:
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      This time the update will be a little short because I'm going to sleep now.

This week was pretty brutal, with some terrible calls and me being in the wrong side of some coolers. The worst part I think was losing 3 BI in the space of 30 min :rage: . I think I might reconsider my future bankroll management.

Also I couldn't put in the volume I hoped thanks to spending the entirety of Wednesday fixing my PC and being out of the city in the weekend.

:spade: UPDATE 3 (03.11.2014 - 09.11.2014) :spade:

6752 hands
      -$15.60
      $112.21
      3 weeks

:spade: PREVIOUS OBJECTIVES - WEEK 3 :spade:

• Study at least 6 hours - 6/6+ Majority of Sunday was spent watching videos and improving my postflop hand planning.
      • Play 15000 hands - 6752
      • Improve my fold to 3bet stat - After some research I realized that people don't really exploit this enough in NL5, so I'll leave this for some later limit.
      • Start learning how to defend my blinds - Ok I didn't do much of this.
      • Be more active in the forums - Or this.
      • Wake up every day at 7:45 am and take a 20 minute nap at 2:00 pm - Today I woke up a little later but I consider this achieved.
      • Take Saturday off from poker
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      Short but important update. I've been playing really badly and very unconfortable so I stopped before losing everything and moved down to NL2 with $90 in the bank, but this time to 6-max. I also cashed out $24 to deposit $30 and make use of the NetBet deposit bonus.

After playing 1000 hands I can say that wow, tables are much more fishy in 6-max, and even more in iPoker.

Current Bankroll:
      Pokerstars: $71.20
      NetBet: $43.64

• zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      I have also had a bad few days, dropping 6 buy ins at NL5!

Good luck
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      Yeah, I was -11 BI down for November in NL5, which I know is mostly bad plays where I called fully knowing that I was most likely behind. This is probably the worst example :facepalm:

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 80.4 BB
      SB: 100 BB
      BB: 106.8 BB
      UTG: 114.4 BB
      Hero (UTG+1): 168.2 BB
      MP: 205.2 BB
      MP+1: 141 BB
      MP+2: 98.6 BB
      CO: 361.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:spade: A:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, MP calls 4 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 4 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (13.4 BB, 3 players) 6:club: 7:diamond: 7:spade:
      Hero bets 8 BB, MP calls 8 BB, CO raises to 26.4 BB, Hero raises to 55 BB, MP calls 47 BB, fold

Turn: (149.8 BB, 2 players) K:spade:
      Hero bets 42 BB, MP calls 42 BB

River: (233.8 BB, 2 players) 3:club:
      Hero bets 67.2 BB and is all-in, MP calls 67.2 BB

Hero shows A:spade: A:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Sevens)
      (Pre 80%, Flop 0.1%, Turn 0%)
      MP shows 7:club: 7:heart: (Four of a Kind, Sevens)
      (Pre 20%, Flop 99.9%, Turn 100%)
      MP wins 353 BB

Regarding my BRM I've finally settled for a conservative 50 Buy-in before moving up to the next level. It may be a little bit nitty but it will hopefully help me focus less on the money and more on my play, by not letting a few lost pots eat 20% of my bankroll .
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      NL5

NL2/NL2.5/NL3.1 ($2/€2/£2)

It looks like I'll be staying in NL2 for a little while :f_biggrin:

This week I moved to 6-max NL2 after running bad in NL5 for practically the entire month, and also moved some of my money to Netbet Poker to use the bonus and see just how bad the players are in the iPoker network. They are really bad, I've never seen so many calling stations in one table before, causing a low cbet success.

My initial stats are slightly nitty on the TAG side, but since I'm new to 6-max I don't think is much of a problem. I know I'm calling too much from the BB, but I'll wait for a bigger hand sample before I decide what to do with it.

:spade: UPDATE 4 (10.10.2014 - 16.11.2014) :spade:

7851 hands
      $14.27 (-$21.61 NL5 + $19.35 NL2 + $16.53 NetBet Bonuses)
      $126.48 ($74.43 Pokerstars + $62.05 NetBet Poker)
      week 4
    • ManslayerSC
      ManslayerSC
      Bronze
      This place is kind of abandoned, but I'm not dead yet. I'm still mad for missing a report, but University entrance exams will be over tomorrow, so I'll be able to focus and play poker again.

Short report for these two weeks

2208 hands
      $24.74 (NL2 + NetBet Bonuses)
      $151.22 ($77.09 Pokerstars + $74.13 NetBet Poker)
      6 weeks
    • Saimad381
      Saimad381
      Bronze
      Good luck