Get Spun or Go Trying

• AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      So after a bit of contemplation, I've decided to start blogging my progress with the controversial Spin and Go format alongside with the Bankroll Challenge.

I've been playing poker on and off for the past couple of years now; there have been times where I've really gotten into it, but I burned out just about as quickly as well. While I don't expect to get grinding really hard at this current stage, time will tell as to whether or not I'll push myself harder.

I started off with a bankroll of about $150 when the new format came out on PS, and now I'm down to about $73. It's definitely been a brutal ride, but the ridiculously soft competition has kept me going.

Here's my bankroll chart:

And here my chipEV chart to show that I'm not a complete fish haha...:

I'll be aiming to hit $1000 since that's the minimum goal for the challenge, so this is going to be a long ride... Hope you guys all enjoy along the way. :)
  • 13 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey AJSK,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

Man, looking at those graphs would be doing my head in if they were mine. :tongue:

It will not only be a long ride but a rocky one as well I expect.

Good Luck

Laz
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      So apparently PS will be changing the prize structure and rake for Spin and Gos on November 3. While the rake change isn't favorable, it doesn't impact me just yet on $1s so the primary concern is the prize structure change. While starting out in the format, I made an excel sheet to see how the prize structure was distributed. I made a comparison to see the difference in the prize structure with the current one on the left, and the new one on the right.

The two values next to the buy % is the % of the buy in dedicated to the top 4 multipliers, and the bottom 4 multipliers.

So overall the prize pool is a lot less top heavy, which is a good thing. However, since the top prize will be 1 in 100000 games, it seems highly unlikely that you'll get that particular portion of your buy-in back any time soon, which is of reasonable concern...

However, the X factor in this situation is indeed the player pool. The current player pool is already pretty soft, but regs are definitely within the format. With these changes, the distribution of regs to recs should change drastically to bring in more recs. Whether that change is enough to offset the fact that you're probably not going to get the top prize unless you grind these out like an absolute boss, is the main question.

In any case, the plan doesn't change, but I'll be interested to see how this changes things up next month.
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      So as I play through the last games under the current prize structure, it's time to take a look over how I've progressed over the past couple of days:

129 SnGs
      +$1
      $74.46
      1st week

I would be down $9 but I unlocked a Stellar Reward which pushed me to JUST a tad over breakeven haha :P
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      So after the rake and structure changes, the field definitely seems noticeably softer. With a couple of wins with x10, x6 and x4 multipliers, I've managed to bring myself back up a considerable amount.

Unfortunately my cEV graph seems to have plateaued for a bit, so I guess I'm still playing spewy in certain spots.

Here are some of my stats after 1k SnGs:
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Thanks for sharing graphs and info on your style of play.

I think you are very aggressive which is not ideal way to go in this format that has tons of recreational players. Play more for value, tighten up your range and you will ITM more frequently.
      I can go more in depth with pre and post flop stats but prefer not to reveal the strategy here. If you want to hear more I can send you PM about stats where I feel you are leaking in.

All the best and look forward to 10k graph
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      Hi Ivica, thanks for visiting my blog and for the feedback! It does feel like I am being a bit more aggressive than I would like considering the competition, but at the same time it feels difficult to play a bit more passively with the hyper blind rates as well. I would greatly appreciate more in-depth feedback so feel free to PM me with the details whenever you are free. :D
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AJSK
      Hi Ivica, thanks for visiting my blog and for the feedback! It does feel like I am being a bit more aggressive than I would like considering the competition, but at the same time it feels difficult to play a bit more passively with the hyper blind rates as well. I would greatly appreciate more in-depth feedback so feel free to PM me with the details whenever you are free. :D
      Hi AJSK
      You welcome man. I also considered at one point to grind those Spins but turned away from them. I did however study the format and will write you in PM now some things I found about them.

I wish you many big multipliers and for positive variance to help you make nice win rate in this format which may be the future of Stars.

All the best
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      Spin and Gos are definitely a very volatile format; not just financially, but emotionally as well. A lot of time you'll find yourself asking why opponents make the moves they do and it can drive you a bit insane as well. I think more important than finding the right edge against opponents is to find the right edge with your own emotions. It's very easy to find yourself tilting.

As soon as I feel like I'm getting frustrated, I finished whatever SnGs I have left open and stop. This is probably one of the biggest advantages of the format since you're going through games really quickly, there's a lot of opportunities to stop yourself and relax a bit before going again.

Bronze
      gl mate. S&Gos look terrifying , to me all sngs but specifically these look insane , I salute you for doing this.
    • RW666
      RW666
      Bronze
      Hello,fun to se one more are trying these spingo out.

I also play them right now,but at a very small volume at 3usd-level.

what level do you play??
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      Playing the $1 SnGs atm. I'll move up once I have $600 in my bankroll.

This week's progress in Spin and Gos:

233 SnGs + 3 Mission Week Freerolls + a few cash game hands to keep my bankroll at a nice round number (OCD much? :P )
      +$17.54
      $92
      2nd week
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      It's been a volatile week. After another huge downswing in Spin and Gos; with the MicroMillions coming to a close as well as the 1B tourney promo; I took a break for a bit and took to the MTTs. To be honest, I was always much better at MTTs but I rarely have the time to grind them especially if I go deep like I did today in the Bigger $3.30. I ended up 35th in a field of 1543 players. I also played a Progressive Knockout $8.80 MicroMillions and won about $12.50 in bounties before busting out 294th for about another $8.

625 SnGs, 13 MTTs
      -$7.15
      $84.85
      3rd week
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      Taking a 2 week break. Just need to deal with a couple of things with real life right now, and won't be able to play as much.