Best site for poker tournaments?

• GreenThinMark
      GreenThinMark
      Bronze
      Hi, im looking for a good site to put my money on to play tournaments, mainly freezeout. I am considering 888poker just because it would be my 1st deposit bonus but i am leaning towards pokerstars as well because of all the tournaments that they have. Any suggestions? :f_biggrin:
  • 30 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey GreenThinMark,

I think you have almost answered your own question. PokerStars and 888 both have a nice range of tournaments. There are too many rebuys on iPoker. MicroGaming doesn't have a particularly good schedule or traffic, OnGame have low traffic and Full Tilt is full of Multi-Entries.

So I reckon PokerStars, mainly because of their better loyalty program.

Regards

Laz
    • GreenThinMark
      GreenThinMark
      Bronze
      I am leaning towards PokerStars, but then again 888poker has an insane amount of bad players... Does anyone know any promotional code on 888poker or PokerStars? Its hard for a tournament player to find a decent deposit bonus because most bonuses are just points based, and a tournament player doesnt really earn that many points :f_biggrin:
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey GreenThinMark,

To give you a definite answer you didn't provide enough information. How many tables will you play at once? How much money are you willing to invest and what kind of bankroll management are you planning on? At which time of the day would you like to play? On which days of the week and how many days a week?
      All these factors should influence your decision one way or the other (or maybe to a totally different site).

For most players Pokerstars would be the better choice, because it offers a wider variety of different tournaments, buyins and structures during all hours of the day. So everyone should be able to find something that he likes.

On the other hand 888 offers some decent tournaments as well, has the smaller field sizes (less variance) and the worse player pool.

In the end you should take the site that you like the most.
      If you play MTT's only you shouldn't care about the deposit bonus too much. You won't be able to clear it fully anyways (at least it is highly unlikely).

Since you seem to be starting with tournaments I would also like to recommend my mtt beginner course to help you getting started:
      MTT Beginner Coaching: Discussion and feedback thread

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • GreenThinMark
      GreenThinMark
      Bronze
      I was thinking about 2-6 tables at once... well im thinking about starting small, making a 100 dollar deposit and playing tournaments up to 5, maybe even 10 dollar buy-in. Might be a bit risky with 10 dollar buy-ins...:f_eek: i am planning on playing every day from around 5pm to 2 or 3 in the morning. I am looking into your mtt beginner course right now, seems very good :) All in all i think i might save some more money and deposit about 100 dollars on both sites and see what happens :f_thumbsup:
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      If you deposit 100$ and are not willing to deposit more if you go broke you should be playing buyins of 1$ and lower with the money. A solid bankroll management would be 200 to 250 average buyins. A saver bankroll management for higher stakes is 400 average buyins+.

20 or even 10 buyins aren't sufficient for tournaments. You will be broke within days that way. At least that is very likely.
      If you are planning on 2 to 6 tables in the low or even micro buyins you will need to play pokerstars. It won't be possible to get as many tables with 888 only. Furthermore I wouldn't recommend splitting your bankroll in the beginning. Concentrate on one site and build your bankroll up from that point.

If you have any further questions let me know!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • julito23
      julito23
      Gold
      Full Tilt has barely any multi entries left. They took most of them away. Also they have a very good loyalty program for beginners at least.
    • ruzzx
      ruzzx
      Bronze
      pokerstars i recommend you
    • Paoboi
      Paoboi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GreenThinMark
      Hi, im looking for a good site to put my money on to play tournaments, mainly freezeout. I am considering 888poker just because it would be my 1st deposit bonus but i am leaning towards pokerstars as well because of all the tournaments that they have. Any suggestions? :f_biggrin:
      In my opinion Pokerstars is the best, technically.:f_thumbsup:
    • uglyboy88
      uglyboy88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GreenThinMark
      big suggestion, avoid pokerstars if you want smaller swings. on PS even smallest field and lowest buy ins are harder thn everywhere else, try winamax.fr, pokerstars.fr, microgaming
    • bluesuxan
      bluesuxan
      Bronze
      i think so many poker site that give their benefit it self........i try netbet poker and is very well.......enjoy the game boys
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      Pokerstars hands down, it has so many upsides. Currently the best software, player amount and a wide range of tournaments. You can deposit with the promo code FREE20, or maybe in your case pick another for 100% bonus on your first deposit. The only downside is that it has one of the strongest player fields out there.
    • faceppok
      faceppok
      Bronze
      try to stay in tuch with multiple sites. But for begginer, only 1 best option. Pokerstars
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      I agree stars is the best for tourneys.

Not so much for their support and cold decks.

They love bad players too much so they protect them and make sure you end up break-even. I don't believe I run bad. Spots like AA vs 44 on flop with dished out 4 on river or AA vs 66. AKs vs AKs vs AKs with two running spades on turn and river etc etc. I wonder why am I still trying in there..

This site owes me lots of money but they won't ever give a fuck no matter what I do. I hope one day they'll realize what they did to poker. Together with UB, FTP, AP and other sites that don't care about anything but profits from low stake players at any cost.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Glad I posted this here. My last tournament on stars AQ vs KQ pre. You can work out the odds. K on the flop. Time to move the sites. I ain't putting up with these all day long. No more!
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Originally posted by mattisks
      I agree stars is the best for tourneys.

Not so much for their support and cold decks.

They love bad players too much so they protect them and make sure you end up break-even. I don't believe I run bad. Spots like AA vs 44 on flop with dished out 4 on river or AA vs 66. AKs vs AKs vs AKs with two running spades on turn and river etc etc. I wonder why am I still trying in there..

This site owes me lots of money but they won't ever give a fuck no matter what I do. I hope one day they'll realize what they did to poker. Together with UB, FTP, AP and other sites that don't care about anything but profits from low stake players at any cost.
      PokerStars earn exact same amount of money regardless of how much you lose or win. Therefore it makes no sense for a poker site to favour a lesser player, and how do you imagine a software to determine which player is better and which is not when it comes to all in situations? People like you always keep putting a smile on my face.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      I'm not into your smily face shills.

I went to check FTP and cashed 4th out of 300+. On stars I can't get close to bubble in fish infested environment (90 man SNGs) heads up against fish that is 9 to 1 dog either pre or on the flop. Can't win flip there either. Not just for a tourney or two but for days. Then I all of a sudden catch heater one day, to get my BR doubled or what and then coolers for another 6-7 days. And to mention heads ups. I am quite confident I can make pretty big number of ROIs but I can't win Heads Up there even if you give me 100 to 1 chiplead.

If you ask me: I am sick of it. I know enough about tournament poker by now, odds and sh't so don't tell me stories here about how the software is clean, support great and the only intention of the software owners was to make it enjoyable for players. They do it for the game, not for the money. Sure! I believe you now. You got your point across. Now let me know how did you test the integrity of their software and its randomness. You can check how random is my HH so I can have a laugh for a change.

And then we can come back to discussion how great is their integrity, where two Croatian players collude openly at final table to cheat rest of the table off $5,000 in profits. I'm sure that I've lost on their deal good $1,500 myself. Do you think stars CS cared enough? I don't. Last request where I tried to defend someone for chat abuse, their CS was just laughing at me pointing out that this is "ADULT SITE" and offending someone is totally acceptable..

What are your shills for this?

When I compare FTP to Stars, apart from losing every single flip with AQ vs randoms and their pre-black friday Customer Service, I can't remember FTP being as bad as stars. Yep! That time I was losing, because I knew no better... But that is another story
    • TheMarxBros3
      TheMarxBros3
      Bronze
      Posted my mattisks.
      When I compare FTP to Stars, apart from losing every single flip with AQ vs randoms and their pre-black friday Customer Service, I can't remember FTP being as bad as stars. Yep! That time I was losing, because I knew no better... But that is another story

The people that own Stars also own FTP in case you did not know this.
      Stars has the best software bar none. They also have the biggest fields which in turn will create the biggest variance.
      Play where you are comfortable, and where you trust the software first and foremost. If you do not trust the RNG on Stars then by all means avoid playing there.
      Ones perception of something is their reality. Act accordingly!!
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      I know about the merge.

I am playing 90 mans on stars and smaller fields on FTP around 300+. I've learned where is my edge so I don't play bigger sized tourneys even though I have comfortable cashes in 20k+ fields.
    • vinn25RNMD
      vinn25RNMD
      Bronze
      PartyPoker i like the tourneys their ..use to play on stars alot not so muchh anymore lost my interest