[Gold+ coaching] Find and Repair coachings with double2

• double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach

Find and Repair with double2

Hi guys,

I'm gonna start a new coaching series this month, and if it goes well we'll probably see more of them.

This coaching series is aimed at trying to fix the biggest leaks of NL players who are looking to improve their game and take it to another level.

What is it?

Three coachings of 90 minutes each. I choose 3 players based on their application, they send me their database and I choose a spot where I think they are loosing a lot of EV. We tackle those leaks in the 3 coachings, one coaching for each player.

For who is it?

• Players that play NL25 to NL100
      • At least Gold status on PokerStrategy
      • A database with at least 40k hands
      • If you whant to join me in the coaching(optional) you need good technical conditions(decent connection, decent microphone, skype, etc)

I want it! Where do I sign?

You have to make an application till 15th of March. We'll choose the players based on that. An application should have:

• A very small introduction on your Poker career
      • What stake do you play
      • Volume you put each month
      • Goals for 2015
      • How do you study off the tables and how much? If you have a blog feel free to leave the link.
      • What do you think are the biggest leaks in your game, or the spots you feel most uncomfortable playing?

My application was accepted! Now what?

Send me a friend request, so I can add you on Skype. You should send me a database of your most recent hands, minimum 40k hands, not more that 70k.

We'll talk through Skype, I'll let you know when the coaching will be and some more useful details.

• 20 replies
    • elpsycho
      elpsycho
      Diamond
      Hi, double2!

This seems like a great idea and I would like to make my application.

- I started playing poker a long time ago (maybe 5-6 years), but I always played it recreatively and never took it seriously until the end of the last year. During this time I managed to grind my way up from NL5 to NL25 and recently I made some shots at NL50, which didn’t end too well. I’ve played both regular tables and zoom, but for the time being I play mainly zoom. I also play and study some mixed games occasionally, because I want to be a well-rounded poker player in the future.

- I play NL25 SH Zoom

- Usually I put around 40k/month, but lately I am spending a lot more time studying (around 50/50 of studying/playing) so it dropped to about 30k/month

- I would like to establish myself on NL100 until the end of the year and have a positive winrate on a decent sample. But that’s more like a secondary goal, which should result from constantly studying and improving my game. So my primary goal is to become a better poker player with every passing month.

- I try to study on average 10+ hours per week. Mainly I’m studying different concepts in isolation using Flopzilla and CREV, but also for the last month I do daily study sessions with a fellow reg, where we do hand analysis and discuss different tendencies. Here is the link to my blog: How to be a Poker Player

- I would say the most problematic spots for me are facing 3-barrels vs regulars and also 3-barrel bluffing against them. I was feeling lost in those spots when I took shot at NL50. Also I immediately get frustrated when I get myself in 4-bet pot, which also happened a decent amount on NL50 and even NL25. Another weak area of my game I can think of is squeezing, especially OOP. I tend to miss some squeezing spots and I’m not completely sure about what hands are best for squeezing in different spots (OOP vs early positions, OOP vs late positions, IP vs early positions, etc.)
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
    • Matorzinho
      Matorzinho
      Bronze
      Wish I had gold status, but my Poker Stars account is not linked to pokerstrategy </3 :f_cry: :f_cry:
    • Anomic
      Anomic
      Bronze
      I Think I would definitely learn from this because you beat the stake that I want to reach, plus you got coached by internet xD

A very small introduction on your Poker career

I started out by just messing around a bit with playmoney on facebook after I watched some episodes of "High Stakes Poker" and I got hooked pretty quickly. When I was n1 by a large amount in my friendlist I got curious about what it would be like to play with real money, so I took a shot at nl2 fullring on partypoker with the $50 I got from pokerstrategy.

I played on and off for years, with periods of playing a lot of volume and periods where I kind of forgot about it. I switched to shorthanded games about a year ago when I got to nl25. There were 2 reasons for this: most of the higher stakes games were played on shorthanded tables & I got kind of bored with having to play so nitty and needed a change to keep things interesting.

I played pretty break-even on nl25sh until I decided to take it more seriously and I stopped an old habit of smoking weed before playing, this changed me from a break-even player to a small winner. I moved up to nl50 a couple of times when my bankroll was $1250, and had to drop down because each shot failed because of a combination of variance and bad mental game (the amount of money felt a lot more significant). After my last shot (in the summer of 2014) I lost half my bankroll because I kept playing when tilted without dropping in stakes.

In september 2014 I made another major change in how I approach the game by playing with a much more conservative BRM instead of the 25BI rule. I was playing nl10 with about $700, moved up to nl25 in januari 2015 with $875 and now moved up to nl50 with $2000 this month. I'm doing pretty well and my bankroll is about $2550 now.

What stake do you play
      nl50 shorthanded on bwin.party (can't play fastfold anymore because HEM2 hud doesn't support it)

Volume you put each month
      around 30k hands / 60 hours

Goals for 2015
      to become a winning reg at nl200

How do you study off the tables and how much? If you have a blog feel free to leave the link.
      I watch a lot videos (not just on this site) and bought some great/tough pokerbooks. I really don't know, but quite a lot. I invest as much time as I can tbh, easily 4 hours on average on days that don't play much/at all. blog

What do you think are the biggest leaks in your game, or the spots you feel most uncomfortable playing?
      Not bluffing as much as I can get away with, both pre- and postflop. Not sure how to design my ranges optimally postflop. Playing as the BB vs Steals postflop.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      Hi,

career :f_love:
      I play NL100. Mostly played it on party poker fast forward, lately also stars. I felt confident about starting playing NL200, but party poker didnt have it, and I was playing there mostly because of VIP status and clearing bonuses. I switched to stars few months ago with the plan to move up to NL200 after I gain bankroll with NL100. I am surprised how regs at NL100 zoom are super agro preflop by 3betting, 4betting, cold 4betting, but postflop play like little girls.
      I started playing poker 2 years ago, member of this forum Gingerkid showed me first steps, and I learned it all with the help of ps hand evaluation forum and videos. After I read the book from "Applications of no limit holdem", I felt much more confident about my game, and started playing much more towards unexploitable.

Volume
      I play around 15k hands a month, sometimes not at all, sometimes more. I have a job as computer scientiest, so I dont have much time for poker. I spend a lot of time learning theory, analyzing ranges, because I have a lot of time when traveling from job to home, also at job sometimes when I finish all tasks. Before I started working, I used to play around 60k a month (thats was 1 year ago). I feel much happier and less stressfull since I lowered number of hands per month, I realized how poker produces a lot of unnessecary and not worth of money stress.

Goals
      I dont have a goal for 2015. My general goal is to improve my game and beat higher limits, be the best. To understand theory better than others, have better non-copy-paste ranges than others, and more creative. I dont care what will happen in 2015, I dont connect goals with time, I simply play poker and learn it because it is fun, and the results should come by itself.

Study
      I study by analysing ranges mostly, thinking about exploiting copy-paste villian's ranges (most of regs at NL100 play very similar), and make my ranges more towards unexploitable. I do it mostly at job when I finish my daily tasks or when commuting to job. I dont have a blog, I think it is waste of time and mostly for showing off.

Leaks
      My leaks are, playing spewy after calling 4bet. Sometimes shoving low equity bluffs as 5bet, if 4bet smells like bluff (using timing tells, small and unprecise sample sizes for 4bet % from position). When losing session, I start to call looser and bluffing too much. Off course there are leaks everywhere, but other leaks are smaller. I dont think I have any huge leak, but lets see what will double2 find after accepting my application. My red line is higher than blue line, which probably means that I play too agressive. I sometimes because of fun start imitating fish play vs regs who have low sample on me (limping preflop, limp 3betting) min betting flop, etc, but still try to play it profitable and confuse regs this way. I am not sure if it is leak.
    • awesomeo
      awesomeo
      Bronze
      Hi double2,

Great idea and I would definitely be following. Here is my application.

A very small introduction on your Poker career
      I started playing about 5 years ago with pokerstrategy's 50$ and managed to build from that. Played FL at first but changed to NL FR and then to SH. Managed to establish myself at NL100 and took shots and NL200 at softer sites and I was thinking of myself as some kind of semi pro then. Then I had to switch to Pokerstars due to regulations in my country. I liked zoom format a lot so I'm playing that for the last 2 years, mostly NL50. In 2014 though I had a breakeven year with the rackeback which was really shocking to me. At the end I dropped down to NL25 zoom and I had a total of 2 winning months for the whole year.

What stake do you play

Currently NL25 zoom

Volume you put each month

I try to averege 4k hands a day so I'd say I put decent volume - I have 270k hands for the last 4 months

Goals for 2015

I'd like to understand the objective reason for my loosing play last year and move up to at least NL100 till the end of 2015.

How do you study off the tables and how much? If you have a blog feel free to leave the link

I start everyday with review of marked hands and notetaking. If there is a new video in PS I watch it. I used to do min defence ranges calculations but I decided to drop that recently and focus to exploitative plays. I reread Matt Juanda's book Applications of No-Limit Hold'Em from time to time. Took good coaching last year. Played around with PokerSnowie recently. I constantly run filters in my database trying to find where the money go :) Generaly my studying is a bit chaotic because I lack the results I want and I'm never sure if I do it right. Right now I play much more that studying - about 4 hours play and 1 hours study.

What do you think are the biggest leaks in your game, or the spots you feel most uncomfortable playing?

I think my biggest leak is missaplying theory concepts and switching from exploitative to "balanced" play during the hand which ends up in spewing or loose calldowns. Also I know I fold too much and I'm a good autoprofit target in many spots which results in me trying to fix the stats for the sake of having ok stats. And probably the worst thing is that I don't really have people to talk poker with so I'm a bit late to realize changes that happen in the game which ends up in me repeating loosing plays.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      So when will you make a decission? today is 15th march
    • alonohara
      alonohara
      Silver
      ^^^^^
      anxiety? :f_biggrin:

nice members/players!

good job double2 !!! go2coach... :f_thumbsup: :f_drink: :f_drink:

dates and times?
    • Damlqv
      Damlqv
      Bronze
      Career
      I started playing poker in 2009 but didnt take the game serious until fall 2010 after working in Australia for the ski season and playing tournaments 3 times a week for 20$ buyins at different bars. I won 3 of the tournaments I played and had a decent profit from that (around 300$ each). When I came back to Denmark I started studying FLHE and played up to 1$/2$. Since that I've been playing a little bit of everything until 2013 where I started to focus on NLHE. I moved up from NL10 to NL50 within 7 months and took a shot at NL100 in december. That was a big fail and within 3 months I was broke. In summer 2013 I also won a live tournament for around 2000$.
      I took a short break, reloaded and was back playing NL10. Didnt play much online over the summer but played live cash and won 400$ or so. in fall I moved from NL10 to NL25 and this month I started NL50 again.

Stakes
      NL50zoom on pokerstars

Volume
      Volume is very swingy, Im writing my bachelor project this semester but try to play at least 30k hands.

Goals for 2015
      I hope to move up to NL200 but if I'm a decent winner at NL100 by the end of the year it will be acceptable.
      Finish 3 "Get Rich or Die Trying" challenges, 1 down 2 to go :f_biggrin:

How do you study off the tables and how much? If you have a blog feel free to leave the link.
      My blog
      I watch videos here on pokerstrategy mainy. Probably 2 videos on avarage per week.

Calling river bets/raises too wide.
      Being too passive and look for the easy way to get to showdown instead of looking for the optimal play.
      Bet sizing
      Making too many fancy plays without understaing when and how to use them
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Ok guys, thank you all for your applications. Unfortunately we cannot pick the 5 of you so somebody has to be left out.

This decision has been discussed with the PokerStrategy staff and it's not solely my own.

So, the applications we picked are elpsycho, Anomic and Damlqv, we feel these were the more active members in the community, the ones that sounded more motivated and the ones that would benefit the most with the coaching.

So, the 3 lucky guys, please add me in the community so we can exchange skypes and more forward, since the first coaching is already next Wednesday.
    • Anomic
      Anomic
      Bronze
    • EpicFail86
      EpicFail86
      Bronze
      Great Idea, sadly i saw it too late because I'm from the german community but i'm looking forward for the coaching. :)
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      Hi guys,

I think this is a really good initiative :)
      Regarding today session maybe we could filter by IP, cbet flop and cbet turn is possible (and not cbet turn = false). This way we can see both scenarios: when to continue barreling or when to shut down.
      ... and yeah, no raises or 3bets ahah
    • teddypoker
      teddypoker
      Bronze
      First coaching recording is on-line, enjoy :)
      Find and Repair: double2 with Damlqv
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi guys,

in tomorrow's coaching we will be reviewing elpsycho database, and we're gonna talk about facing 4bets and 3 barreling in single raised pot.

See you there!
    • strikerp
      strikerp
      Gold
      Thanks for the coaching double2.
      Nice coachings and nice videos.
      When will the next part of your series 10 tips to get out of the micros come up?
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      It will very likely come out on 7th of April - sorry for the long waiting time, we also have other good stuff to bring you next week, so sorry for the wait.
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Guys, the third and final coaching will be tomorrow and not on Wednesday.
    • logan22
      logan22
      Silver
      I congratulate you the next awesome series. There was a lot of close spots to review and I'm sure everyone learned a lot from these coachings. I really like this form of coaching because it's almost like a live play. Coach is able to tell everything he wants to say about the hand because he's not hurried by the timebank. Also thought process was logical and presented in a clear way. So again thanks for the lessons and good luck at the tables.