w34z3l's Poker Academy

• w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      w34z3l's Poker Academy

Hey guys, welcome to the poker academy! This is a new format being trialled by pokerstrategy.com and is the medium through which many poker coaches will now offer training content. If any of you are still wondering who am, I have been a coach here at pokerstrategy.com for over 2 years, making videos, working on the hand-evaluation forum, doing live-coachings and private-coachings. I am 28 years old in real life and have been playing cash games online since I was 18, playing up to 1knl 6max nlhe. Recently pokerstrategy.com approached me with this new idea, so here it is =)

What exactly is the Poker Academy?

In the past coaches are generally the ones that decide on the content for videos and live coachings. Pokerstrategy.com would like to make this more interactive. With the academy system, coaches will now be making the videos that YOU want. By default this academy will be scheduled for one training video and two live coachings per month although possibly more if huge interested is generated. Here is the thread where you can ask questions or make suggestions for the next video or live-coaching content.

Participation in the academy will be rewarded, so it's encouraged that you be active and take part. It's very important that this will be an interactive project so I will be taking special care to respond to posts here. It's also asked that you help out other academy members where possible - this project will be a huge success only if everyone is willing to help each other.

Things I can help with -

• Hand evaluations
      • Stat questions from tracking software
      • Questions about various poker sites
      • Theoretical questions
      • Maths
      • Mindset issues
      • Goal Setting / Motivation
      • Questions regarding poker software
      • Anything poker related

Things I can't help with -

• Girlfriend Problems
      • Medical emergencies
      • Sending you $5 because it's only a small-blind

My video series - To keep you busy in the meantime, check out some of my series here at pokerstrategy.com

Post in the thread if you are on board. More information will be added to this post once it becomes available. It's possible you will also see academies popping up from the other coaches here at pokerstrategy.com, so subscribe to whichever you want or even all of them.

Previous recordings can be found: here

Looking forward to your participation!
      w34z3l

• 465 replies
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      I am IN!

Great concept, similar to what RIO is doing and CR.
      I would like to see daily hand evaluations as absolute priority for Poker Strategy to regain trust from community, especially CG part of it that makes up a huge part of it. When it comes to making videos, from top of my head I would be very interested in following areas:

- Squeeze pots OOP play vs 1) 2 regs 2) 2 fish 3) reg and a fish
      - Merge vs Polarized 3/4 bet ranges IP and OOP (videos on how to switch gears, vs what type of 3-4 bet %, flatting ranges in such cases OOP and IP etc - perhaps even small series can happen for this!)
      - Multiway pots OOP as 1) initial aggressor 2) caller from blinds - facing 1) 2 regs 2) 2 fish 3) reg and a fish (videos with actual hand examples that demonstrate good and bad plays)
      - Video on calling river vs different bet sizes vs 1) read less 2) reg (determining what bet size is likely determining what type of hand strength etc)
      - Your SB strategy for BVB play pre flop (Sauce123 stuff, limp/call limp/fold limp/raise and how to adjust it)
      - You doing live play on NL100 and NL200 ZOOM (to enjoy you owning them :)

Thanks w34z3l and hope this project will really come to life and that Poker Strategy will stand behind it 100%!
    • bulldozzer7
      bulldozzer7
      Gold
      I am in as well.:f_drink:
      But I think focusing on Spots that come up more regularly should be a priority
      -> Blinddefense, Steals etc
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      This looks cool!
    • teddypoker
      teddypoker
      Bronze
      Awesome, i'm also interested to get involve here and try to help who I can, nice project w34z3l:gl:
    • rompas
      rompas
      great idea , :s_thumbsup:
    • ibetucry
      ibetucry
      Bronze
      I'm in.

Can you send me $5 though ? :coolface:
    • rommycaRNMD
      rommycaRNMD
      Bronze
      I wish to learn how to construct my ranges based on information which i get from my tracker. Ex: the average population stat RFI from MP is 15. Build a range of 3bet and call and so on. I supose that every player play on diferent platform versus a diferent pool of players so i have to adapt my ranges for every limit i play.
      Another topic should be: how to build note definitions in notecaddy.
      One more topic: how to extract max value on the river based on the different lines snd sizes which the villain may take.
      How to make a deep analize of a regular from your own database, how to find leaks and ways to exploit him efficiently.
      Thanks! I have more ideas but for now that's it!
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll put them in a list somewhere and we'll see which the most popular are.
    • elpsycho
      elpsycho
      Diamond
      Cool idea! I'm definitely in!

As was already mentioned above, i would really like to see a squeezing video IP and OOP, as well as overcalling. Also it might be cool to hear your thoughts on non-standard lines more in depth, for example, theory and practice on overbets, donking, betting very small, etc.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Yeah, I think those are possibly my favourite ideas so far because I haven't made specific videos on either topic.

Squeezing/overcalling seems to be a popular option.

And bet-sizing is a crucial area which I haven't made a specific video on, especially dealing with unorthodox sizings, underbets/overbets etc.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Hi Coach,

I would like definitely be part of your project as I even know very well about your skill as a Coach and master teaching and will be more than honored and lucky to be part of your academy. Thank you!

P.S. Girlfriend (F.O.), Other distractions (F.O.), Anything may take my mind away from the tables (F.O.), Anything + Any1 else (F.O.); So, please, make me a better player (even thanks to you I have already pass from down to up :f_pleased: you know what I mean even if of small proportion by now but Im still work-in-progress) Im ready to make a jump. :f_cool:

Thanks Coach! :f_thumbsup:
    • Svinhugg
      Svinhugg
      Gold
      I would like a thourough walkthrou of the say twenty most used Hud-stats. In videos they often refer to "high cbet" or "low fold to 3bet" without specifying what might be a low value or high value. I guess the most could be expressed as distribution curves.

Even if your videos are among the best as it comes to cover topics i happen to struggle with in my opinion you tend to lean to much on the spoken word and don't use the possibility to use visual content as often that you could.
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Platinum
      I'm in, of course! Guys allready wrote the topics I'm interested in. Squeezing, facing squeezes and playing in squeezed pots seems the most interesting to me. The topic about various stats and ideal numbers we should seek to, how they interact each other etc. would also be cool.

Thanks for the project! :f_thumbsup:
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Svinhugg
      I would like a thourough walkthrou of the say twenty most used Hud-stats. In videos they often refer to "high cbet" or "low fold to 3bet" without specifying what might be a low value or high value. I guess the most could be expressed as distribution curves.

Even if your videos are among the best as it comes to cover topics i happen to struggle with in my opinion you tend to lean to much on the spoken word and don't use the possibility to use visual content as often that you could.
      Yeah, I've never been big on visual content. It takes a lot of time to produce and doesn't really help me that much personally.

Having said that - you are not the first person to mention this so I will try and make the presentations more visual. Not sure how I would go about making top 20 most used HUD stats visual though. I could add a bunch of cartoon pictures like some coaches but it's time consuming and probably doesn't help learning that much.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      So I think the top 3 suggestions so far,

Squeezing / Playing vs Squeezes (probably would be 2 separate vids imo)
      Bet-Sizing
      Top HUD stats
    • Svinhugg
      Svinhugg
      Gold
      I'm a cartoonist myself (not professional any more) so I don't need funny pictures that much but more that the figure 55% makes much more sense when simultaniously said and shown.
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      What status are these videos/coaching's going to require?
    • teddypoker
      teddypoker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mute20
      What status are these videos/coaching's going to require?
      Hi mute20,

Almost all the content will be stream/release for Gold +
    • awesomeo
      awesomeo
      Bronze
      Hi, so far it sounds good, I'll be following :)

- I suggest that part of that could include you opinion on different poker softwares - CREV, Snowie etc - how usefull do you find them and what do you do with them - it could help with the visualising HUD stats thing.