New Attitude

• ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      After realising my mindset on poker was completely naive, i'm willing to hold my hands up, admit defeat and take the 'i told you sos'. After reading through the basic BRM and psychology articles over and over, somethings finally clicked and I'm extremely eager to learn with a positive attuide and consider this a fresh start. However i'm unsure as to which path to follow.

The $50 starting capital i received on my PartyPoker account has been lost so i'll only be able to deposit a small amount of around $20 but onto my PokerStars account because i don't believe i can make the min deposit elsewhere. (being a student isn't fun all fun and games! :D ) So i'm guessing this is limiting my options as to what i can do already.

I personally want to persue sng / tournament play but i'm unsure if this is the best way to start with such a small bank roll. Would it be best to just stick to the NL10 SSS and patiently build a small BR to help manage a start into sngs, or would playing $1.10 Double ups straight away be a viable option?

I'd be very greatful for any comments or advice.

Thanks in Advance

Adam!
  • 9 replies
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      I have a freeroll account on pokerstars, I play the .10/360 player SnGs, when I need a break from grinding.
      $1 SnG might be too swingy, and without experience I would stick to basic SSS. Least amount of variance.
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice davidangel! :)

At which point would my BR be big enough to allow me to 'Safely' start playing low limit sngs?

I am hopefully deposting a small amount tonight so any quick replies would be greatly appreciated as i do not want to start anything before i'm 100% sure of my plan and at which key points my BR will open new options to me. (I hope the community hasn't shunned me already as i can't stress enough how much my attitude to poker has changed, and how appreciated all advice would be!)

Thanks in Advance

Adam!
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Well i think if you plan to play 1,1$ double or nothing even 20buy ins can be enough IF you know how to play them which is tight and let other player kick others out and you play only premium hands right.

But if you plan normal SNGs(top3 payed) i suggest at least 50$.

But learn before you start playing ;)
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Again, if you do not have alot of experience stick with SSS, you will need about 15 BI if you stick rigidly to the SHC and dont get fancy. SnGs are swingy and require a good working knowledge of odds n outs, post flop skills and to know appropriate times to take your coinflips. 20+BI swings are common in SnGs, and if you lack mental skill you will tilt and lose even more.
      So I recommend you play SSS NL10 with $30 BR and post, post, and post more hands. Get elephant going and post in the appropriate sections. IF you really want to learn SnGs then I suggest a site with micro limits (such as titan), or use playchips. If you can beat 100,000 playchip SnGs on fulltilt then you can beat $1 SnGs on fulltilt, the skill level is very similiar.
      Happy chum hunting!
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      I would stick to basic SSS. Least amount of variance.

SSS has a bunch of variance... More variance than anything else I believe :P
      and $20 are only 10bi for nl10... I take 10bi swings everytime I play sss lol :P ...

So in my opinion if you find yourself confident on the cashtables play on those soft nl2 tables on stars :P you could easily grind it up to $40 - $50 enough to be on the safe side on $1.20 sng's...

or use playchips. If you can beat 100,000 playchip SnGs on fulltilt then you can beat $1 SnGs on fulltilt, the skill level is very similiar.

bad advice nothing similiar between the two... Playmoney is playmoney and real money is real money.. btw why should anyone collect 100.000 playchips? lol that sounds like more work than winning 100k$ cash :P
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      You mean play BSS on NL2 ?

This is something i was considering as i'm guessing the IQ of most the players playing there are actually equivalent to that of a fishes ;)
    • Harold1
      Harold1
      Global
      I think for "new" players BRM is the most important step. I know for me it is.

If you don't bankroll right your off to a bad start. I've learned this also from experiance.

PS recommends you start w/in your bankroll. For SSS you need 20 BB for 1 BI, 30 BI MINIMUM for cash game and sng BR.

Others recommend 50-100 BI's for sng's because of the greater variance. I absolutely agree especially for "Newbs" like us, 50 min. BI's for sng and 30 min. for cash games.

Get greedy you'll pay the price.

U aint no Chris Furgeson or Guss Handson my friend, not yet.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      In the beginning of your career it is not about money, its about gaining experience, and that means seeing lots and lots of hands. Playchips can help you if you are low on cash, the other players are still playing to win, yes? Saying that playchips is bad advice is like telling a sports player that practice is bad, cause its not the real thing. Very ignorant statement. On fulltilt you can use playchips to enter real money MTTs, I built a freeroll BR upto $20 prior to pokerstrategy, thats alot of experience playing poker! PS.com showed me how to turn my trapping/tight passive play into TAG style, and wow, I really used to suck :D

On NL10 SSS my biggest swing was 9BI, and that was sticking strictly to the SCH, ratio chart and articles, as well as reading all the posted hands every day. (learning from others mistakes)

Cash games have less variance than SnGs, Mtts.
      Whatever you do decide to play... have fun
      Happy chum hunting
    • Turbulentus
      Turbulentus
      Bronze
      Hello this is my first post.

You can make $20 last you a few months at Pokerstars.
      Just play the $1.20 sngs 1 at a time untill you are good enough to try 2 at a time.

Although it may seem boring at first, I promise you you will find it very hard to go broke.
      You will also get a good feel for the game.

Also, about the play money games on Pokerstars.....

There are companies out there that will buy your play money chips for REAL cash..
      The best rate I found was $5 per 500,000 play money chips and $10 per million.

The highest buy in play money sngs on stars pay out 900,000 chips.

I must warn you though, the highest buy in you can afford with your 1k starting chips,
      is the 300+20 9 man, if you lose your money you can get 1k more for free and that is
      forever, every time you go broke you can get 1k more....

But back to my warning,, these lowest buy in SNGS are a DONK FEST!!
      usually 2 or three people are all in within the first hand or 2. Just sit back, and
      wait them out unless you have AA-KK or even AK first hand..

But I warn you because these are not at all how the real money, even the $1.20 ones
      play.

As you move up in the play money chips games though, you should find the skill increasing.
      You may even find yourself hard pressed to earn a million chips even though the first place payout is 900k at the top.

So if your flat broke and want to learn for free and even get another free capitol to start,
      Selling play money chips or playing the $1.20 sngs on stars may be the things for you.
      I have managed to play 469 sngs on pokerstars with my 2 small deposits, also,
      if you deposit $25 you get the deposit bonus which you have 6 months to earn the 250 fpp points needed to unlock it. Plenty of time to grind those $1.20s into enough points.