From micros to ???

• la55i
      la55i
      Hi! I finally decided to start blogging! I hope it helps me develop my game and I thought it might be fun. :f_biggrin: I really don't know whether I'm a fish or do I have the potential to be a good poker player but I'm gonna find out.

I'm 20 years old (soon 21) law student from Finland. I have been interested in poker for a couple of years now. I just had a 6 months break from poker and now I'm back. Before my brake I was playing NL10 speed poker at Full Tilt and clearing my deposit bonus. When I started playing again it didn't go well. I ended up losing half of my bankroll in 1 hour session. After that I decided that it is time to go back to NL5 and start revising strategies and develop my game. I registered to Gala so now I have a new deposit bonus to clear.

After my fresh start I have played 5332 hands and net won is -2,76$. It is not terrible but I'm a bit disappointed. I know that my biggest problem is that I don't fold enough and I'm trying to fix this. I'm trying to watch one video every day. I'm watching W34z3l's series and double2's 10 Tips to get out of the Micros. If you know other helpful videos you can link them here. :f_thumbsup:

My long term goal is to really make some money with poker. My short term goals are:
      At the end of September: I have fixed my game so that I can beat NL5
      At the end of October: I have big enough bankroll to go back to NL10
      After I have reached these short term goals I will make new one.

In this blog I'll post some graphs and hands and stats and might even ask you guys some tough questions. :f_grin: I hope you like my blog. :f_love:
  • 271 replies
    • inceptioner
      inceptioner
      Bronze
      GL dude! :f_drink: Since we're both from the greatest nation the world has ever seen, if you wanna talk about your game/my game like on skype, just add me here :f_cool:
    • la55i
      la55i
      @inceptioner Thanks! I added you. :f_drink:

So my problem is that I don't fold enough when I face a raise or something and at the micros it's not very good because people are not bluffing very often. I would like to talk about my stats and win rate per position.

I haven't played many hands yet and with this sample it is hard to say how I'm really playing + I'm trying to adjust and change things so my stats will change a bit. I think we can't really look at the bb/100 after 5k hands. I think my vpip and pfr in EP and MP are ok but I'm playing too loose from late position. It looks like I'm calling from the BB too often. I open a lot from BTN and SB but I think I should open even more. It is ridiculous how much they fold vs steal @ iPoker NL5 Speed. Yesterday I played 1.2k hands with Steal from SB of 95% and success rate of 65% so I'm making auto profit by stealing with every hand. My own conclusion is that I'm calling too much from BB and playing a little bit too loose from late position. I would like to get your feedback and ideas also. :f_grin:

Here is my graph from fresh start till now:

I'm gonna opt in for the bankroll challenge next monday. :f_cool:
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Hey good luck! Quick observation from your graph is maybe you are being a little too aggressive with your hands.
      It's a little unusual to see a high red line at micros because people generally don't like to fold, so perhaps you are just pushing people out of pots when you should be extracting value ; and therefore when you do get called and end up at showdown only the strongest of peoples ranges are getting there with you and beating you at showdown, because you are losing at showdown. I guess small sample though, just something that jumped at me when I looked at your graph!

Very good luck, will follow your blog! :f_drink:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      call less, play less from early pos. this high red line seems related to not liking to fold
    • la55i
      la55i
      Thanks for your feedback guys!

I have been running terribly lately. I don't hit my draws but villains do. When I have AA or KK the board is terrible. etc... But that's poker. I'll keep working on my game and keep you posted.

Here is one example of my run:

IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $5.40 (108 bb)
      BB: $7.61 (152.2 bb)
      UTG: $1.31 (26.2 bb)
      MP: $3.28 (65.6 bb)
      CO: $5.77 (115.4 bb)
      BTN: $1.88 (37.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4 4
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.10, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.08, BB folds

Flop: ($0.25) 3 J J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.55) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

River: ($1.25) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Results:
      $1.25 pot ($0.08 rake)
      Final Board: 3 J J 7 T
      Hero mucked 4 4 and lost (-$0.60 net)
      CO showed T Q and won $1.17 ($0.57 net)

I had some notes on villain and I thought my 44 is the best hand very often so I called 2 streets. It looks like I was right and I really had the best hand OTF and OTT but of course villain hits hes pair OTR. :f_rolleyes:

The next hand was pretty sick imo. I might have played it stupidly preflop. I had reads of UTG and I didn't give his open much respect but the caller is unknown + I had some action behind me. I still decided so squeeze and that might have been stupid but I'm happy the hand played well.

SB: $5.25 (105 bb)
      BB: $9.68 (193.6 bb)
      UTG: $5.26 (105.2 bb)
      MP: $4.99 (99.8 bb)
      CO: $8.36 (167.2 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $7.22 (144.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with T A
      UTG raises to $0.12, MP calls $0.12, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.45, SB calls $0.43, 2 folds, MP calls $0.33

Flop: ($1.52) Q K J (3 players)
      SB checks, MP bets $4.54 and is all-in, Hero raises to $6.77 and is all-in, SB calls $4.80 and is all-in

Turn: ($15.66) K (3 players, 3 are all-in)
      River: ($15.66) 8 (3 players, 3 are all-in)

Results:
      $15.66 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: Q K J K 8
      SB showed Q J and lost (-$5.25 net)
      MP showed 9 T and lost (-$4.99 net)
      Hero mucked T A and won $14.66 ($9.41 net)
    • la55i
      la55i
      Last couple of days have been pretty ok. I have tried to adjust my game a bit. Don't see any significant results yet. After 6k hand my winrate is 2bb/100 @ NL5 fast (ipoker). Could be higher.. And I'm also pissed cause there is no traffic at NL10. I don't know what to do when I have big enough bankroll to play NL10. If I go to Stars I don't get strategy points but what other options do I have? :f_mad:

I opted in for the bankroll challenge. Lets see how it goes. :f_grin:

Bankroll 74.08€
      Goal 1000€
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      Hey - I noticed you on the tables yesterday!! Its only just clicked that the username on here [almost] matches your username on iPoker.

Its interesting comparing your positional table above (5k hands) with the data I hold on you (104 hands) - I'm surprised how clear an idea of your play such a small sample is giving (though there are some understandable differences).
      The main difference is I have your total 3bet at 16.2% (compared with the 8.4% you've shown above).
      I've also got you attempting to steal 100% of the time in the Small Blind (4 hands) and from the button (6 hands)!

Here's one hand I thought was interesting (from yesterday) you're in the SB, I was in the BB (I presume you can work out my alias from this hand - I'm happy to out myself to you, but would appreciate it if you didn't post it on the forum). I had a relatively strong hand, but didn't defend. The guy on the button is a reg (I have 414 hands history on him) and of 5 hands where I have seen him face a 3bet, he has only folded once - obviously I don't know your hand, but it doesn't look to me to be a good spot to be 3betting (though maybe you look further ahead than me and note that he can be pushed off the hand post flop?). Do you look at "fold to 3bet" stats when deciding who to 3bet?

SB: $5 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.81 (116.2 bb)
      UTG: $2 (40 bb)
      MP: $5.87 (117.4 bb)
      CO: $6.15 (123 bb)
      BTN: $2.62 (52.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A T
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, SB raises to $0.45, Hero folds, BTN calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.95) 3 5 K (2 players)
      SB bets $0.66, BTN folds

Results: $0.95 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: 3 5 K
      SB mucked and won $0.89 ($0.44 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$0.45 net)

Here's my positional stats (NL€5 only since 1st June - when I started my blog) if it provides any kind of interesting benchmark for comparison....

• iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Originally posted by la55i
      Last couple of days have been pretty ok. I have tried to adjust my game a bit. Don't see any significant results yet. After 6k hand my winrate is 2bb/100 @ NL5 fast (ipoker). Could be higher.. And I'm also pissed cause there is no traffic at NL10. I don't know what to do when I have big enough bankroll to play NL10. If I go to Stars I don't get strategy points but what other options do I have? :f_mad:

I opted in for the bankroll challenge. Lets see how it goes. :f_grin:
      Nice good luck with the bankroll challenge. :s_cool:

I feel your pain with the strategy points, but I have gone for the challenge too and am hoping to get lucky in the raffle to upgrade my membership as I'm playing on a track site now too.
    • la55i
      la55i
      @8runo

I'm glad you didn't join the action. :f_drink: When I'm 3betting I look at villains attempt to steal % to determine how wide his range might be and then I look at fold to 3bet. I have 377 hands of BTN and he seem a bit tight on the button and folds 62% to 3bets overall so this is not the perfect spot to 3bet. I was holding :Ac: :Jh: and I thought it is a decent hand to defend. + He has fold to flop cbet of 73%. If I had just called you might have squeezed.

Your 3bet % looks a bit higher to mee too. It is 10% (40). And 3bet vs hero is 25%. Its true that I have high attempt to steal because there is so many players who has fold to steal bigger than 80% so I just open any two vs them. And thanks for those positional stats, maybe I should try to tighten up a bit since you seem to make more money that way. Btw: against you I have won 6 times and lost 9 times but I'm still +0,65€ :s_cool:

@iSoOwnYou

Thanks and good luck to you too! You really have exactly the same bankroll than me?
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      If I had just called you might have squeezed.
      Quite possibly - but I'd also have been worried about the Buttons high call rate, and then being OOP post flop. I have his steal rate from the button at just 18% (only 28 hands) so would have had him on quite a tight range as well....

It is 10% (40). And 3bet vs hero is 25%.
      I suspect the reason you see my stats as higher is because most of our history has been more recent and as you will see from my blog, I've been making a conscious effort to increase my 3bet rate.
      Interesting that I'm targeting you - hehe - just had a look to try and see why - main reason seems to be that your fold to 3bet on my HUD shows as 100% - only 3 hands, but enough that I'd try and target you given the opportunity.

Will be an interesting dynamic next time we bump into one another on the tables......

As far as how we are doing head to head - I don't have winnings in my database - only EV and that shows me as €1.34 in profit :s_drink: All 6 of your wins came in my blinds..

Did you have me beat here? (you were UTG) (I don't like the way I played the hand - I was a bit of a passive calling station.....I actually remember the hand and I would usually semi bluff the turn with the flush draw, but I'm trying to reduce the amount I do that as my perception is you get called too often with just a draw - though here I also have TPGK)

Hero (SB): $5.51 (110.2 bb)
      BB: $3.79 (75.8 bb)
      UTG: $6.87 (137.4 bb)
      MP: $3.61 (72.2 bb)
      CO: $8.67 (173.4 bb)
      BTN: $6.45 (129 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J K
      UTG raises to $0.15, MP calls $0.15, CO folds, BTN calls $0.15, Hero calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.75) 2 6 K (5 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets $0.55, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.55, BB folds

Turn: ($1.85) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $1.35, Hero calls $1.35

River: ($4.55) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $4.75, Hero folds

Results: $4.55 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: 2 6 K 6 8
      Hero mucked J K and lost (-$2.05 net)
      UTG mucked and won $4.25 ($2.20 net)
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 8runo
      As far as how we are doing head to head - I don't have winnings in my database - only EV and that shows me as €1.34 in profit :s_drink: All 6 of your wins came in my blinds..
      I'm confused - we haven't had an all in against one another, so actual winnings and EV are the same - why do we both think we're winning? Possibly we're both winning with losses coming from 3rd parties? (that's a result I'm happy with :) )

• la55i
      la55i
      My fold to 3bet is a bit high (not 100% though) because I give a lot of respect to 3bets at these stakes. If I remember a guy 3betting me a lot or see him exploiting me from the stats I start to 4bet pretty wide ( they think I won't have 4bet bluff range :s_cool: ). You have 3bet against me 2 out of 8 times so the small sample is causing the high stat. It will definitely be interesting to see you at the tables. :f_pleased: And yea I had you beat, I had :Ad: :Ks: :) If you had bet turn and river I would have folded.
    • la55i
      la55i
      I'm confused - we haven't had an all in against one another, so actual winnings and EV are the same - why do we both think we're winning? Possibly we're both winning with losses coming from 3rd parties? (that's a result I'm happy with :) )
      Yea I looked that up and some of the hands you have folded early in the hand and my profit comes from an other player. :f_biggrin:
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      My fold to 3bet is a bit high (not 100% though) because I give a lot of respect to 3bets at these stakes. If I remember a guy 3betting me a lot or see him exploiting me from the stats I start to 4bet pretty wide ( they think I won't have 4bet bluff range :s_cool: ).
      I have the "TOT 3bet" stat on my HUD, so form a judgement from that as to how wide someone is 3betting (rather than generalising that 3bets at these stakes should be respected because players don't bluff)
    • la55i
      la55i
      So do I but the small samples are not giving reliable stats. For example you see my 3bet % twice as big as it is in the bigger sample. If I see a guy who is playing very tight and has huge fold to steal there is a good stealing spot so I could steal even with 72o but when he 3bets and I have 50hands of him I have to fold. I might have to rethink my stealing and defending ranges. My winrate from SB is -11 bb/100 atm so its not so bad but BB is leaking.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Ha sorry no i do not have same bankroll as you that was a quote post fail!
    • la55i
      la55i
      @iSoOwnYou haha, that happens. :f_biggrin:

This day was not so good. The first 1000 hands went pretty well and I was +100bb. Then I had a little pause and went out with my friends. When I came back and started playing I lost 5 buy-ins pretty fast. I think I didn't concentrate properly and I ended up being a f*cking fish and calling in stupid spots (also had a bit of bad luck). I had another pause and tried to play my A game and got some of my money back :f_drink: . Now I'm just -170bb this day. Not a good start to the bankroll challenge but I'll grind my money back tomorrow. Today I started playing 3 tables at once and noticed that it helps me. I don't know how but I think I'm playing better when I have to make decisions faster.
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      Today I started playing 3 tables at once and noticed that it helps me. I don't know how
      Are you maybe playing tighter/more patiently?
    • la55i
      la55i
      Today I started playing 3 tables at once and noticed that it helps me. I don't know how
      Are you maybe playing tighter/more patiently?
      Might be. Looks like my vpip is a little bit lower.

PS. Of course I had to go and lose more money so now -3 buy-ins from today. I hope tomorrow will be better.

Edit: I think I know how to play but still I do stupid things and afterwards I'm mad at myself. This has to be mental. :f_biggrin: I think I just have to overfold against aggression because I'm too often behind. But no problem, I will learn. Tomorrow I'm gonna eat those fishes.

It’s how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success. –David Feherty