Collin's Sit 'N Go Crushers Academy

• CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach

Hey everyone, welcome to my SNG academy!

My name is Collin, I have played sit 'n goes for the past 11 years and greatly enjoy all types of SNG and turbo MTT. Particular favorites are: 9man, 180man, non-turbos, and fast-structure MTTs. In real life I am in my early 30s, live most of the year in Rosarito Mexico with travel back to the US, and am married to a poker player who always wins in our heads-up matches -- Pokerstrategy's own Katie Dozier.

I have a great dog, Wilbur, and this is how he looks after a long session on Stars:

The poker academy is my weekly coaching at 8pm CET each Wednesday, as well as two videos each month. The big difference starting now is your feedback.

What I want to know is:

What do you want to see?

What content, format or theme will make you excited to watch a video or come to a coaching?

Are you most interested in live play, hand history reviews, theory work, or interviews with great players?

What formats would you most like to see covered?

In the Academy, what you say goes! We will determine the content of videos and coachings based on your feedback :)

As part of that, please post hands and questions for us to cover together in the coachings and videos. I want everyone to be able to succeed as much as possible in poker and reach their goals.

What I can help you with

Deciding the Right Games, Buyins, and Formats to Play
      Theory/Strategy
      Software
      Studying
      Specific Hands
      Mental Game
      Math Questions
      Anything Relating to SNGs!

What I can't help you with

Wine Tasting
      French Cooking
      Badugi

So, please post in this thread what you would like to see. Thanks, and good luck at the tables!
  • 163 replies
    • 99PROBLEMSS
      99PROBLEMSS
      Bronze
      1st post weeeee.....Colin what I would love to see is a hand range chart from you for push/fold for 9 man sng turbos. I have always watch your live coaching and hear you say those ranges, but would love to have a visual of those ranges. So I can check my ranges from 10BB down. ex 10BB UTG 88+ AJs+ AQo Thanks for starting the academy!!!!
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 99PROBLEMSS
      Colin what I would love to see is a hand range chart from you for push/fold for 9 man sng turbos. I have always watch your live coaching and hear you say those ranges, but would love to have a visual of those ranges. So I can check my ranges from 10BB down. ex 10BB UTG 88+ AJs+ AQo Thanks for starting the academy!!!!
      google "jennifear push fold" mate (I think they're still relevant, but Collin will advise further probably)

you could also use hrc or icmizer to get nash P/F ranges for diff effective stacks (as Collin does in the vids often) :f_thumbsup:

[@Collin: husng/spins would get my vote, but I understand it's prolly not what most others want to see - and always good to hear from different crushers, especially the 'practical' stuff about grinding and how they stay motivated/avoid burnout/auto-pilot etc. - also maybe effective studying techniques/leak-fixing tips?]

{Wilbur looks like a 'cool booler' btw} :f_biggrin: - All the Best!
    • 99PROBLEMSS
      99PROBLEMSS
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply!! I have those and I think those ranges may to loose for 9man sng.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      As a spin-off of 99's request, I'd like to learn how to assess the strength of a preflop hand in terms of the percentile in the chart where it lies. E.g. when you say 'I'd shove 30% of hands', it's hard for me to figure out which exactly hands lie in that top 30%. The best I can do is create a table that tells in which percentile each hand is in a static chart like ProPokerTools' lists (those at the bottom of this page), but I have no hard-and-fast mnemonic rule, and also hand strengths seem to differ slightly in different scenarios, e.g. medium suited connectors seem to often be part of narrow(ish) 3bet-shoving ranges but not of ranges of the same width for calling a shove or for shoving a short stack from an early position.
    • mrroyboy111
      mrroyboy111
      Bronze
      How do I access the videos?
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Do the search for Collin's username in the video section (accessible from the top menu of the page).

I agree that the search function in the new interface is a bit obscure - it took me rather long to figure out which button to press:
    • kacekov
      kacekov
      Bronze
      Can't help with badugi? the whole topic is useless then. gg im out.

jk
      on your coaching and vídeos you have a lot of (good) material on 9 mans and 180 mans.
      i would like to see more 6-max / 18man / 45 man / 90 man too :P

hand review is good from time to time as it also helps us learning how to proper review our sng's and with studying but would like to see you more on the liveplay side. explaining your thought process as it is happening.

dunno why you want us to choose between the options you gave.

formats: all :P
      type of training: all :P
      wine tasting: the only bad bottle of wine that exist is the empty one :P

cheers
      kacekov
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      1st post weeeee.....Colin what I would love to see is a hand range chart from you for push/fold for 9 man sng turbos. I have always watch your live coaching and hear you say those ranges, but would love to have a visual of those ranges. So I can check my ranges from 10BB down. ex 10BB UTG 88+ AJs+ AQo Thanks for starting the academy!!!!
      1st post ftw! It's a cool idea, the only thing is that it's slightly tough to create a chart that's useful throughout the game because it's so dependent on ICM considerations, and often you want to use exploitive ranges. You also get a much better understanding of how to modify the ranges if you learn them initially through your own study.

Tell you what though -- if others are interested in this too, I'll devote a video or coaching to creating a chart that won't be perfect but will at least be a good reference point. What do people think?
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by sherriffatman
      Colin what I would love to see is a hand range chart from you for push/fold for 9 man sng turbos. I have always watch your live coaching and hear you say those ranges, but would love to have a visual of those ranges. So I can check my ranges from 10BB down. ex 10BB UTG 88+ AJs+ AQo Thanks for starting the academy!!!!
      google "jennifear push fold" mate (I think they're still relevant, but Collin will advise further probably)

you could also use hrc or icmizer to get nash P/F ranges for diff effective stacks (as Collin does in the vids often) :f_thumbsup:

[@Collin: husng/spins would get my vote, but I understand it's prolly not what most others want to see - and always good to hear from different crushers, especially the 'practical' stuff about grinding and how they stay motivated/avoid burnout/auto-pilot etc. - also maybe effective studying techniques/leak-fixing tips?]

{Wilbur looks like a 'cool booler' btw} :f_biggrin: - All the Best!
      Cool Booler -- I've never heard that phrase before but it's awesome :) Glad to hear you enjoy the guests that come on coachings, I'll increase the HU/spin frequency. And nice ideas on the chart.
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      As a spin-off of 99's request, I'd like to learn how to assess the strength of a preflop hand in terms of the percentile in the chart where it lies. E.g. when you say 'I'd shove 30% of hands', it's hard for me to figure out which exactly hands lie in that top 30%. The best I can do is create a table that tells in which percentile each hand is in a static chart like ProPokerTools' lists (those at the bottom of this page), but I have no hard-and-fast mnemonic rule, and also hand strengths seem to differ slightly in different scenarios, e.g. medium suited connectors seem to often be part of narrow(ish) 3bet-shoving ranges but not of ranges of the same width for calling a shove or for shoving a short stack from an early position.
      Sure Tony, we can cover that in the next coaching -- very good question.
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by kacekov
      Can't help with badugi? the whole topic is useless then. gg im out.

jk
      on your coaching and vídeos you have a lot of (good) material on 9 mans and 180 mans.
      i would like to see more 6-max / 18man / 45 man / 90 man too :P

hand review is good from time to time as it also helps us learning how to proper review our sng's and with studying but would like to see you more on the liveplay side. explaining your thought process as it is happening.

dunno why you want us to choose between the options you gave.

formats: all :P
      type of training: all :P
      wine tasting: the only bad bottle of wine that exist is the empty one :P

cheers
      kacekov
      I always knew there was a secret to wine tasting! Live play is good, we'll definitely incorporate plenty of that coming up. I have a very detailed 2-part video series on 18man about to come out. I've done 6max/45man/90man in coachings but you're right I've focused on them less than other formats, happy to include more on them.
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks for the great participation yesterday, very fun coaching ... as promised here's the short shove/fold chart we created at the start of yesterday's coaching. Keep on posting hands, questions, etc!

Google Docs Spreadsheet of Shove/Fold Chart
    • 99PROBLEMSS
      99PROBLEMSS
      Bronze
      Thanks Collin
    • ggeshov
      ggeshov
      Bronze
      No help with wine tasting?? What good is this thread then? :coolface:

:truestory:

Seriously though, first I want to say: Collin, you are THE man!
      Just finished reading your book on sng strategy for the 2nd time. The interesting thing about poker books is that when you read them for the 2nd, 3rd etc. time, you find new things that you didn't notice before, or your poker level was not high enough to comprehend some of the stuff.
      I would love to see you play live games on 9m and 180m. Hand history reviews, theory work and mental game would also be an interesting ground to cover. Also, anything new that you have learnt/realised after you published your sng book and would like to teach us would be much appreciated.
      Cheers! :f_drink:
    • Grisuuu
      Grisuuu
      Bronze
      Hey Collin,

would love to see a Video on Postflop Play in 9max/6max SNGs.
      How to make Decisions based on Opponent Handrange and Board Structure, different Players.

And how can we analyze if our Play was right in Terms of Chip-EV (using Pokerstove, Equilab or other Software).

I always try to play postflop but find myself ending in Spots where my Opponents got the better Hands, calling me off and so on..

Cheers Tony
    • legomanth
      legomanth
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Grisuuu
      Hey Collin,

would love to see a Video on Postflop Play in 9max/6max SNGs.
      How to make Decisions based on Opponent Handrange and Board Structure, different Players.

And how can we analyze if our Play was right in Terms of Chip-EV (using Pokerstove, Equilab or other Software).

I always try to play postflop but find myself ending in Spots where my Opponents got the better Hands, calling me off and so on..

Cheers Tony
      +1
    • 99PROBLEMSS
      99PROBLEMSS
      Bronze
      +1
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      +3

Postflop is always a problem, there can never be too much content about it :f_ugly:
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks Ggeshov, appreciate that! Will definitely incorporate more live play coming up, and would also be happy to answer your question about things that have changed since writing the SNG book.