[NL2-NL10] NL5 99, how to play the nuts?

• Tomohawked
      Tomohawked
      Bronze
      How do I build the pot without scaring the villain away?

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9:club: , 9:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO folds, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 9:spade: , A:heart: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, BU raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.51) T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.25, Hero raises to $0.50, BU folds.

Final Pot: $1.26

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows four of a kind, nines (9c 9d)

Hero wins with four of a kind, nines (9c 9d)

I am of course still learning and this next hand demonstrates that entirely. I don't think i could've have played it any worse. Let me know if you think otherwise.

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with T:spade: , 7:spade: . Hero posts a blind of $0.02.
      5 folds, Hero checks, BU calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) A:spade: , 7:diamond: , 7:heart: (4 players)
      SB bets $0.08, BB folds, Hero calls $0.08, BU calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.32) Q:spade: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.32, Hero calls $0.32, BU folds.

River: ($0.96) Q:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $6.27 (All-In), Hero raises to $4.58 (All-In).

Final Pot: $11.81

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, sevens full of queens (Ts 7s)
      SB shows a full-house, queens full of aces (Ah Qd)

SB wins with a full-house, queens full of aces (Ah Qd)
  • 5 replies
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Hand 1:

I like minraising the minraiser here on flop :D . If he calls, bet out turn halfpot and shove any river.

Hand 2: Reraise Turn because the board gets drawwy.
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Hi,
      1) 9 quads:I'd call flop as you did,I think I'd only call turn because not so many draws to hit for him and bet river inviting bet.If he have no hand to beat potentially trips on the river,he will not cal even minraise on turn.But on river he can find some medium hands to call or maybe try to bluff u by raising.
      2) TRIPS IS NOT THE NUTS. you should play it fast -raise flop big/4bet if need to,
      bet,raise,reraise,push turn-max pressure on flop and turn.
      On river I'd fold to overbet because every Q beats you.Too obvious if opp is not
      habitual bluffer on dangerous boards.
      Good luck. ;)
    • Tomohawked
      Tomohawked
      Bronze
      ok, thanks for the input guys. Playing the nuts is the hardest of all I think. Anything less than getting all of the money into the pot seems dissapointing.

I totally agree that I played the 2nd hand all wrong. I'd just joined the table and hadn't gained my bearings.

thanks again,
      Tomo
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      1) I also like "click it back" option.
      This way he can make another attemt to bluff you out on the pot or call with flushdraw/Ax.
      Then you can bet 2/3 pot on the turn and rest on the river.
      2) I think calling flop and turn is fine, especially against potsize bets.
      Ugly river card. Since pot is small I would fold.
      He won´t shove on that board AK.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Hand 1:
      Make it a pot size bet on the flop, it is two to a flush (I'm not saying a flush would beat quads, duh) if he has the ace he is likely to reraise you anyway, if he only has the flushdraw, well let him pay to see it so the pot is big by the time he hopefully hits his flush, if he does not have the flushdraw but the ace any future flushcard will kill the action just like the action will be killed from the flushdraw if the flushcard does not hit. Just bet it hard even if you have the absolute nuts, it's the only way to build the pot and he is going to call you with the flushdraw anyway.

Hand 2:
      Reraise big on the flop and turn. All the money should be in the middle before that nasty rivercard anyway and you would be able to complain about a suckout instead of worrying how you played.

Conclusion; Bet big.
      Not saying you should do this but I've been experimenting with overbetting 2x the pot lately, seems I am still getting callers from flushdraws, unbelievable. Think I'm gonna start open shoving soon.