Amount to raise pre-flop

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hi am playing NL25 SH right now on FT. I am noticing that a lot of players raise 3.5x BB when first in pre-flop. Should I adjust my game style to them since I normally raise 4x BB

Thoughts please
  • 5 replies
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      I was doing the same as you and raising 4xBB's as that's what it says in the strategy articles, however I always felt that I never got any action if I was first in with a gooid hand.

So when I saw some of the coaches only raising 3.5xbb's I decided to try that out, so far its gone really well, I get more action, if I don't hit with my hand on the flop I have put in less money, so I can't really think of any disadvantages.

My only word of advice would be to bet the same every time and don't change between 4x and 3.5x as this can make you readable, if you still with the same no one will be able to tell what you have (thats what the coaches said yesterday anyway).

Hope this helps

Alex
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      raising 4x is completely fine at NL25.
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Hey Dragar,

I think on FTP they just do so because it's way easier to just click the pot button. And that's 3.5BB + 1BB/limper.
      It doesn't make much of a difference since these guys will call anything if they want to see a flop and don't mind if it's 3.5 or 4BB they'll have to pay.
    • iamblueandurmine
      iamblueandurmine
      Bronze
      i used to play 4x at 100nl and changed to 3.5x when i moved to FT, recently ive been changing it about, raising anywhere from 3x to 6x. i find overbetting pre flop has its benefits, for example i raise 6x with kk or aa, i find i might get the chips in against someone with QQ as they are less likely to put me on aces or kings. It also puts people off playing the lower pairs which present the biggest danger to your high pairs but continues to keep the fish interested with their ak aq type hands.

Try it out, for the 20 or 30%x more you'll take down the pot uncontested the times you do get action you will pick up bigger pots. You'd be amazing how many people put you on AK..
    • TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      UTG I raise 4x
      rest I raise 3x because its cheaper to steal and if its necessary the money will go in anyway so that doesnt change much

If I'm only 2min at the table I raise my strong hands more and my weak hands less but only do it for 2 orbits and then just make it 3x except UTG :)

Isolating limpers depends on my hand and position/limpers position
      if hes CO and I'm BU I raise 4x, if hes UTG and Im MP I'd raise 4,5x-5x

but u dont have to listen to me, just do what u feel is right and what is comfortable for u ;)
      SH is all about adjusting to the opponents,
      if someone folds his openlimp a lot to a 5x raise but calls a 4x raise isolate your weak hands to 5x and strong to 4x,...
      and if somebody limp/calls and check/folds a lot I isolate him a lot with slightly (.5bb) bigger raises because thats more profitable ;)