what to do next

• rorysdad
      rorysdad
      Bronze
      Hi people, I wonder if anyone can give me inspiration. I have played poker for a couple of years but have recently got a bit bored with it. My problem is that when I play I can be so cautious and patient waiting for a big hand but when I get it I seem to ge beat!
      I know I need to be more aggressive sometimes but I find it hard to put my game on the line as I've been beaten so many times by lucky people.
      o I change my mindset and become like these aggressive players when I haven't got money to burn and at the mo my mindset is to get in the money?
  • 6 replies
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      You must be aggressive, playing passive is not the way of winning player.
      And if you pick big pair and pot is getting large then i automaticaly begin to be suspicious, as this hand usualy wins you only a small pot, unless someone else will flop something strong and then you must play them carefully.
    • Xantos
      Xantos
      Bronze
      A few tips that, if combined, basically are the way most successful PokerStrategists went:

1. Chose a game type and stick to it - at least for a while (SNGs, Fixed Limit or No-Limit).
      Why? Sticking to a game type increases your amount of combined theory & experience (= applied theory).

2. Read the fitting beginner articles again.
      Why? As you think you might be too passive, the beginner articles are a good way to double-check your basic gameplay. When in doubt, rather stick to the strategy than old habits!

3. Start at the very low limits - and stick to the bankroll management.
      Why? The bankroll management makes sure you do not get broke just because of bad luck. If you stick to it, you eliminate the feeling "it's just the lucky opponents" when you are losing your bankroll. You know then that it is your game play that needs to be improved!

4. Actively use the hand rating forums here on PokerStrategy.com!
      Why? Active learning is crucial to your success. Just from reading articles and watching videos it is hard to refine your game play. But by putting some of your interesting / hard-decision hands in the forums & getting feedback to it, you will certainly improve your game!
      Also think about other players' hands and their comments on them.

I'm pretty sure that you will be quite successful if you stick to those "simple" rules. (They are not so simple, because it takes some discipline to "stick to the rules" and do a little theory work every day!)
    • rorysdad
      rorysdad
      Bronze
      Thanks very much for your advice. I played live last night and sat for about 4 hours and played 5 hands! Ultra tight or what. I honestly didnt think I had an hand that I could go with. I did eventually get a couple of hands and was one more double up from the final table but my AQs got beat by JJ.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rorysdad
      Thanks very much for your advice. I played live last night and sat for about 4 hours and played 5 hands! Ultra tight or what. I honestly didnt think I had an hand that I could go with. I did eventually get a couple of hands and was one more double up from the final table but my AQs got beat by JJ.
      Hey rorysdad,

What format are you playing? MTTS? 5 hands sounds pretty tight (you could probably be stealing a lot more)

It takes some experience and confidence to start playing more hands - which is why it might be useful to you to play some SNGs. Learn about ICM and when to start pushing with low blinds - download our ICM trainers from the download section and read the SNG articles (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/). If you find yourself bored because of playing too tight, you can also try playing at 1 or 2 more tables at the same time. That way you will have more hands and won't get so frustrated with losing the few good hands that you do get.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • rorysdad
      rorysdad
      Bronze
      Once again thanks for your help. I was playing in a £25 f/o mtt with 60 people. When I first started playing I played cash games because I felt it suited my tighter game. I could play on 3 seperate tables on the internet and wait for a good hand and at least if you get beat your game isn't over. Do you think I should go back to that?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey rorysdad,

Certainly, you can try it. Just play lower limit SNGs and use some of the strategies you find on this site. So articles, videos, and the ICM trainer tools. Play 2-3 at the same time- and work yourself up to 4. Since you will be folding a lot in the early phases its really not that hard multitabling SNGs. This will give you a better feel for the game and by using our hand evaluation area you should be improving in no time at all :)

This experience you can then take over into live games etc.

For low level SNGs there are some nice sites to choose from, including the few I've linked below:

PokerStars 100% up to $100 bonus!
      PartyPoker 100% up to $500 bonus!
      Full Tilt Poker 100% up to $600 bonus!
      Mansion Poker 200% up to $600 bonus!

Be sure to check out some Sit and go videos in our video section!

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/

and best of luck improving your game :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD