Plz explain, rake & rakeback thanx.

• calky444
      calky444
      Bronze
      Sorry guys, Im very new here ((first post) still waiting on $50...) I keep reading about this rakeback %27 business and not sure if I fully understand it. So does FTP take money off you every time you play? And then they give some of it back. Is this just for tourenys and SNGs? Or do they take money off me every time I just play NL cash games? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

On a second note, do you guys recomend FTP, or should I change. And for a beginner do recomend SNGs or SSS? And lastly, how long does the $50 usually take to come through, im anxiously waiting.

Edit: also I've heard of BSS, but havn't read into it yet, should I start with SSS (which I have been reading on)?

Regards Callum.
  • 5 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Hi,

the rake is where the poker rooms get money from. Usually they take 5% of every pot in cash games and 10% from every buy in in SNGs and tournaments.
      Since there are a lot of poker rooms online nowadays the market is pretty crowded and avery room try to win the players for themselves. That is why they give you stuff like first deposit bonus (you play and collect points = pay rake, then they give you SOME of the rake you paid back and boast about how great of a bonus they just gave you), some rooms just give you certain % of the rake back if you signed up through some of their partners (like pokerstrategy), some do both some do neither. Hope this makes thinks a little clearer to you.
      You can also check out the glossary. It the tab between news and blogs on the top of the page.

As for the type of game I suggest you start with SSS. It is the easiest to learn and if you stick to it to the letter it is profitable. Once you get more familiar with the whole online poker thingy you can choose the game you like the most..

Good luck at the tables,
      Lubor

P.S. You should read all the available articles for your game type and watch all the available videos before you take your 50 dollars to the tables. That is a good way to spend the waiting time before your money arives..
    • calky444
      calky444
      Bronze
      Thanks for reply, thats made things much quicker, do all sites take 5% rake, or is this just FTP? As for watching videos, being on 'basic' status limits this a lot. Hopefully $50 comes soon so I watch some more session review vids.

EDIT: sweet just posted this and just saw that I am bronze now, (no $50 yet...???) but now I can watch some vids now.

I have 0 strategy points, so idk why I am bronze...???
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      This probably means that your 50$ has already been transferred from PS to you, but it is being transferred internally right now, it will probably be there within an hour or so.
    • calky444
      calky444
      Bronze
      Thanks you were right, I just watched a one hour vid, and now my $50 has arrived. Thanks to all at PS.com.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      On Full Tilt there is actually a 10% rake on the lowest limits which sucks for SSS, really. You either have to be really good and climb up the limits fast or just try to not go broke, clear the bonus and move your roll some place else.

But to answer your question properly: yes every room rakes the cash games and takes a fee with every tournament buyin you pay.